U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:27 AM

1,183 posts, read 762,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Ours is much higher than 250.00 a year. Does it bug me? No, it concerns me. My husband pays right at 60.00 per month Part D with the latest increase effective Jan. 1st. That equals 720.00 per year and my cost is the same as his for a grand total of 1440.00 per year Plus we pay a co-pay each time we get refills so yes, we are looking for a way to cut back. Maybe some retiree's have unlimited funds but we don't.

The reason for the question...I wanted to know if anyone here has the GoodRx Gold like us and if they use it for anything. As of now GoodRx will cover our current medications very cheap, just not sure if they would have anything we might need in the future. Right now we're on the 30 day free trial.

It was our pharmacist that told us about GoodRx and I looked it up online when I got home.
and? they still charge them a fee. this is why some won't take it. the margins on many rxs are already razor thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 08:30 AM

1,669 posts, read 783,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Can I ask how you found this out? I have posted in another thread that I've decided to try a Canadian pharmacy. They actually have a brick and morter store here in town that made me feel better about using them for my prescription. It will hopefully come in a about 3 weeks.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Various places online, and talking to pharmacists. GoodRX also had this on their website at some point:

"As we develop our business, we may buy or sell assets, and, depending upon the transaction, your personally identifiable information may be one of the transferred assets. In the event that we are acquired by another company, your personal information may be part of the assets transferred to the acquiring party."

At a minimum, GoodRX gets your name and the prescription information.

There's also the issue that GoodRX charges the pharmacy a processing fee of $5 or more for each prescription, which can mean the pharmacy loses money on the sale when the GoodRX price minus the processing fee is less than the pharmacy pays for the drugs. The big chains tend to eat that loss because customers often buy other items in the store, but the independent pharmacist will not lose money, as they can't afford to.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:52 AM

9,392 posts, read 6,264,555 times
When I worked t WallyWorld, GoodRx prices, if our computer system accepted the card, were 1.00 less than cash price.

Will not change Medicare prices. I did not read entire thread, I hope that you didn't cancel Medicare Part D if you had it. You wont get it back until, at least, next year (2020)

Old 12-25-2018, 09:10 AM

1,654 posts, read 569,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
At a minimum, GoodRX gets your name and the prescription information.
That's true also for whatever pharmacy one has the prescription filled at. CVS, for example, keeps the customer's name and date of birth (info that is always on every script) in their systemwide database and I'm sure every other pharmacy chain does the same thing. Does anyone really think that GoodRX's database is any less secure than, say, Walmart's?

I use a PO box address for everything, including doctor's office files, so the most any pharmacy or GoodRX would glean from my prescription is my name, PO box address (if even that), DOB and cell phone number.

As for "transfer of personally identifiable information upon sale of corporate assets", when a pharmacy chain is acquired by another pharmacy chain the same thing happens (more so, actually, because your entire Rx history with them is also transferred) so I don't see that as any more of a red flag for GoodRX than for any other corporate entity.

For example, if you ever filled a prescription at Duane Reed, Boots, or some Rite Aid stores your personally identifiable info is now in Walgreens' database because all 3 of those pharmacies were acquired by them just this year (2018.) Same if you filled an Rx at a Target pharmacy before CVS acquired those. If your particular Rite Aid store didn't get sold to Walgreens, then Albertsons now has your info.

I am extremely cognizant of privacy issues but sometimes you simply have to pick your battles.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:29 AM

2,624 posts, read 2,579,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Ours is much higher than 250.00 a year. Does it bug me? No, it concerns me. My husband pays right at 60.00 per month Part D with the latest increase effective Jan. 1st. That equals 720.00 per year and my cost is the same as his for a grand total of 1440.00 per year Plus we pay a co-pay each time we get refills so yes, we are looking for a way to cut back. Maybe some retiree's have unlimited funds but we don't.

The reason for the question...I wanted to know if anyone here has the GoodRx Gold like us and if they use it for anything. As of now GoodRx will cover our current medications very cheap, just not sure if they would have anything we might need in the future. Right now we're on the 30 day free trial.

It was our pharmacist that told us about GoodRx and I looked it up online when I got home.
Our Part D premiums would have been $63/mo each in 2019 for the "best" Aetna policy. We dropped that coverage and went for the least expensive Aetna policy offered here at $17/mo each. Over the last two years, they had raised copays and bumped a couple of drugs we use into higher tiers. The copays are now nearly the same as cash prices and one is twice as much. It no longer made sense to carry the "best" coverage because it was not worth the price. I intend to evaluate our coverage annually based on our needs, but in 2019 I estimate that we will save $800-900.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:49 AM

9,392 posts, read 6,264,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I intend to evaluate our coverage annually based on our needs, but in 2019 I estimate that we will save $800-900.
But, that can change quickly. Do you want to be a diabetic or COPD patient who has to decide whether to ear or take meds.

Those were my worst patients, the drugs are sky high in cost

Old 12-25-2018, 01:08 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,259,798 times
Good Rx can be pretty useful as a supplement to insurance or if you don't have prescription drug coverage.

I take a generic drug called topiramate for epilepsy and even though it's generic, it was running $180-$250 at various pharmacies. I had lost my job and no coverage so found a Good Rx coupon and was able to get the drug for $52. In that case it saved my a$$.

I have prescription coverage now and in some cases still use Good Rx since their price can be lower than my co-pay with the Tier III drugs.

While it's useful, I wouldn't recommend anyone drop prescription insurance and simply rely on Good Rx or any other drug discount program.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:00 PM

2,624 posts, read 2,579,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
But, that can change quickly. Do you want to be a diabetic or COPD patient who has to decide whether to ear or take meds.

Everyone has to review their own physical and fiscal situations and make a decision that is best for themselves. We did that and are comfortable with our choice. We have annual physicals and otherwise stay on top of our health conditions. Neither of us have diabetes or prediabetes. Same for COPD (of which I am very familiar because my dad suffered with it for years). If our situation changes, then we would change our Part D plan to better fit our then needs.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:03 PM

6,069 posts, read 9,531,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Do you have any suggestions that might be better than the annual review? I was caught in that mid-year, twice, needing pricey prescriptions. So I put up with the half-year of pricey prescriptions, and then I (actually my California agent) did my annual review and found the best overall PartD for me.

It changes, and annually we get to respond to the changes. (We have the additional need that we travel throughout the US for significant parts of the year so need coverage that 'travels' with us.)

Old 12-25-2018, 08:32 PM

110 posts, read 43,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
GoodRX is offering a benefit for either free, or very little in return. They are gathering your personal information for some reason known only to them. I would never use them, since I have no idea what they want my information for. And, pharmacists I know hate them, as it adds an additional workload at a time when the big pharmacies are cutting down on staff.

That may be true, but it was a Pharmacy Technician at CVS who recommended I try the GoodRx app, as I'd tried using the card alone with no success. Using his own cell phone, he looked up the price of the med I was picking up and got me the discount. I wound up using WalMart for another prescription and in discussing GoodRx as she processed my order, she told me about another company that she's used with success. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians are people too, so I think most understand on a personal level. While I feel bad if it results in additional workload, I figure a company can opt not to participate in GoodRx if the result is to their disadvantage. If it's available and is a cost savings to me, I'm going to take advantage of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement