U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 PM

20,422 posts, read 37,827,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Ours is much higher than 250.00 a year. Does it bug me? No, it concerns me. My husband pays right at 60.00 per month Part D with the latest increase effective Jan. 1st. That equals 720.00 per year and my cost is the same as his for a grand total of 1440.00 per year Plus we pay a co-pay each time we get refills so yes, we are looking for a way to cut back. Maybe some retiree's have unlimited funds but we don't.

The reason for the question...I wanted to know if anyone here has the GoodRx Gold like us and if they use it for anything. As of now GoodRx will cover our current medications very cheap, just not sure if they would have anything we might need in the future. Right now we're on the 30 day free trial.

It was our pharmacist that told us about GoodRx and I looked it up online when I got home.

When my husband had open heart surgery, the medication costs beforehand and after were very high. I looked into GoodRX and got him the basic unpaid membership. His doctor sent his prescriptions to Walmart in error - Walmart didn't take GoodRX for those prescriptions. CVS did, and when they were transferred over there, we saved several hundred dollars (about $400 less than what Walmart wanted to charge us before we got the scripts moved) just on that. We have signed up for GoodRX Gold for ongoing purposes and it has saved a LOT of money just over the past few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 08:56 PM

3,393 posts, read 657,869 times
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about regarding GoodRX membership. I've made use of them, but without paying any type of fee.

I'm not old enough yet for Medicare, so I've been stuck with one of those expensive Obamacare plans that don't cover anything until you reach a ridiculous deductible. Thus, until recently, I was paying $479 for my prescription (a 3-month supply). Each time, I asked the pharmacist if I could save money by paying cash, and he said no.

This last time, I asked again, and he told me that instead of going through my insurance plan, they could charge me the GoodRx price (if it were less, of course). He checked, and the price was $219 - less than half! I was thrilled.

But here's the really amazing thing. When I asked him why he didn't tell me about this option before, he was evasive. I went home and did research: Apparently, Obamacare permitted insurance companies to have a "gag clause" in their contracts by which pharmacists were forbidden from telling customers of a cheaper option. That changed this fall, when Trump disallowed insurers from having gag clauses and allowing pharmacists to tell customers of ways they could save money by avoiding insurance.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:44 PM

564 posts, read 267,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about regarding GoodRX membership. I've made use of them, but without paying any type of fee.

I'm not old enough yet for Medicare, so I've been stuck with one of those expensive Obamacare plans that don't cover anything until you reach a ridiculous deductible. Thus, until recently, I was paying $479 for my prescription (a 3-month supply). Each time, I asked the pharmacist if I could save money by paying cash, and he said no.

This last time, I asked again, and he told me that instead of going through my insurance plan, they could charge me the GoodRx price (if it were less, of course). He checked, and the price was $219 - less than half! I was thrilled.

But here's the really amazing thing. When I asked him why he didn't tell me about this option before, he was evasive. I went home and did research: Apparently, Obamacare permitted insurance companies to have a "gag clause" in their contracts by which pharmacists were forbidden from telling customers of a cheaper option. That changed this fall, when Trump disallowed insurers from having gag clauses and allowing pharmacists to tell customers of ways they could save money by avoiding insurance.
https://gold.goodrx.com

Old 12-27-2018, 09:04 PM

1,837 posts, read 790,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlenks90 View Post
Just jumping in here, since I'm doing a little research on online pharmacies to try and off-set my premium increases coming up in 2019...

Are there real savings in mail order plans with online pharmacies compared to the conventional prescription plans from a local CVS or Walgreens?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm on a few chronic prescriptions for non-psych illnesses and some that are also available otc (my doctor insists on writing a script for these thinking that they could be a little cheaper with my current med coverage, but I think some of that is also changing in 2019)

Mostly looking for 90-120 day supplies, I haven't heard of any online/mail order plans that do longer than that

Many thanks!
Check your medical coverage, they often have pricing if you use their mailing facility vs a storefront. Caremark/CVS is our current insurer and they do mail or you can go to any drug store. Same goes for part D, some plans may give you cheaper copays if you use mail order or a particular pharmacy.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 AM

564 posts, read 267,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When my husband had open heart surgery, the medication costs beforehand and after were very high. I looked into GoodRX and got him the basic unpaid membership. His doctor sent his prescriptions to Walmart in error - Walmart didn't take GoodRX for those prescriptions. CVS did, and when they were transferred over there, we saved several hundred dollars (about $400 less than what Walmart wanted to charge us before we got the scripts moved) just on that. We have signed up for GoodRX Gold for ongoing purposes and it has saved a LOT of money just over the past few months.
Thank you, this is why we signed up for the GoodRx Gold. It'll be MUCH cheaper than 1400.00 a year for medicare part D for the two of us and we also had to pay a co pay.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:51 AM

173 posts, read 65,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
That may be true, but it was a Pharmacy Technician at CVS who recommended I try the GoodRx app, as I'd tried using the card alone with no success. Using his own cell phone, he looked up the price of the med I was picking up and got me the discount. I wound up using WalMart for another prescription and in discussing GoodRx as she processed my order, she told me about another company that she's used with success. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians are people too, so I think most understand on a personal level. While I feel bad if it results in additional workload, I figure a company can opt not to participate in GoodRx if the result is to their disadvantage. If it's available and is a cost savings to me, I'm going to take advantage of it.
Can you share what this other company is that she told you about? Similar to GoodRX?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 5,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
GoodRX is offering a benefit for either free, or very little in return. They are gathering your personal information for some reason known only to them. I would never use them, since I have no idea what they want my information for. And, pharmacists I know hate them, as it adds an additional workload at a time when the big pharmacies are cutting down on staff.
I actually came across GoodRX a lot during my research. I found that local/big box pharmacies all have some sort of $4 per month plans ($10 for 3 month supply), but usually it's for generics only and seems to vary a little bit from retailer to retailer. I also stumbled upon this service called SecureTabs, seems kinda similar to GoodRx but with better prices. Does anyone have any experience with ordering from them? (HERE) It looks like it's FDA approved and has pretty good patient information for various prescriptions. I was thinking about ordering a 30 day supply of just one med to see how it goes, but before I do was wondering if anyone happened to have experience or know if Secure Tabs is also a "big name" like GoodRX?

Old 01-05-2019, 03:22 AM

173 posts, read 65,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlenks90 View Post
I actually came across GoodRX a lot during my research. I found that local/big box pharmacies all have some sort of $4 per month plans ($10 for 3 month supply), but usually it's for generics only and seems to vary a little bit from retailer to retailer. I also stumbled upon this service called SecureTabs, seems kinda similar to GoodRx but with better prices. Does anyone have any experience with ordering from them? (HERE) It looks like it's FDA approved and has pretty good patient information for various prescriptions. I was thinking about ordering a 30 day supply of just one med to see how it goes, but before I do was wondering if anyone happened to have experience or know if Secure Tabs is also a "big name" like GoodRX?
I am curious about this company as well! Hopefully, someone will come in and give us their opinion or experience with SecureTabs. Thanks, for the heads up on this one. Seems you do not need a RX script.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM

6,128 posts, read 9,088,474 times
I just paid $36 for a one year membership to Goodrx. It's a Kroger plan, and I go there anyway. What I want to know is will they automatically give me the Grx price when I refill on line? How will they know not to bill the insurance and use GRX instead? Some of my meds are FREE !

Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 AM

10,723 posts, read 21,370,380 times
I take generic Lunesta, a 3 month script on my January's insurance would have cost $150 at Rite Aid so I only filled a month costing me $50.

My daughter ended up getting new insurance, her generic lunesta isn't covered so I looked on good RX. It's covered at CVS for $22 for 30 day supply. I decided to transfer my lunesta to CVS to use Good RX. CVS told me they refuse to fill it because I have insurance and am not allowed to use Good RX. Has anyone heard anything so ridiculous?

I just looked up a 90 day supply, $25.33 at Costco but I'm not a member so will they not fill it? Next place is Walmart $35.01 which to me is better then the $150 I was originally quoted at Rite Aid. Just hope Walmart won't tell me what CVS told me. I'm thinking of calling CVS to ask for a manager in case I need to use it there again. I should have done it when I filled my script but I didn't want to deal with it and it ended up being $30 at Rite Aid instead of $50 like last month. I'm going to start looking up all my meds so as not to eat up my insurance for my pain meds. I always max out in March.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-12-2019 at 05:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement