U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:37 AM

172 posts, read 64,597 times

Advertisements

That doesn't make sense to me at all. I went to CVS as well and they knew I had insurance but went ahead and used the Goodrx coupon. I am not sure what costco's yearly fee is but I think like $60 so it would be well worth the savings to sign up there, even better than using Goodrx.

Also, I didn't pay a membership fee with GoodRx as some here did. Not sure what extra benefits they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 06:38 AM

172 posts, read 64,597 times
You can't use insurance AND the GoodRx coupon, though.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:49 AM

37,096 posts, read 45,613,761 times
I have not used GoodRX, but I use www.blinkhealth.com for two prescriptions. I compared the cost with goodrx, but Blink was cheaper.

Blink is totally free and operates outside of your insurance. Go there and cost compare. I get Celebrex which is not formulary on my drug plan, for $13. a month, and Boniva, for $12.
My husband still has to get a drug from Canada, since neither Blink nor goodrx does him any good.

How Blink works: sign up free. Order and pay for your drug online. Choose the participating pharmacy where you want to pick it up. Ask that pharmacy to transfer your prescription, or provide it with a written prescription. Go pick it up, or they have a home delivery option.

Last edited by gentlearts; 02-12-2019 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-12-2019, 07:18 AM

3,478 posts, read 4,170,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just looked up a 90 day supply, $25.33 at Costco but I'm not a member so will they not fill it?

At most Costcos, you do not need to be a member to be able to purchase prescriptions.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 AM

213 posts, read 73,470 times
Quote:
My daughter ended up getting new insurance, her generic lunesta isn't covered so I looked on good RX. It's covered at CVS for $22 for 30 day supply. I decided to transfer my lunesta to CVS to use Good RX. CVS told me they refuse to fill it because I have insurance and am not allowed to use Good RX. Has anyone heard anything so ridiculous?
They should take Good RX. You just can not use both for the same prescription. One or the other. I have used Good RX at CVS for a one off prescription, and my insurance for the others. No problem.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:33 AM

5,231 posts, read 8,392,545 times
Quote:
I take generic Lunesta, a 3 month script on my January's insurance would have cost $150 at Rite Aid so I only filled a month costing me $50.

My daughter ended up getting new insurance, her generic lunesta isn't covered so I looked on good RX. It's covered at CVS for $22 for 30 day supply. I decided to transfer my lunesta to CVS to use Good RX. CVS told me they refuse to fill it because I have insurance and am not allowed to use Good RX. Has anyone heard anything so ridiculous?

I just looked up a 90 day supply, $25.33 at Costco but I'm not a member so will they not fill it? Next place is Walmart $35.01 which to me is better then the $150 I was originally quoted at Rite Aid. Just hope Walmart won't tell me what CVS told me. I'm thinking of calling CVS to ask for a manager in case I need to use it there again. I should have done it when I filled my script but I didn't want to deal with it and it ended up being $30 at Rite Aid instead of $50 like last month. I'm going to start looking up all my meds so as not to eat up my insurance for my pain meds. I always max out in March.
GoodRx has an FAQ on this subject:

Short version is Yes you can, and call them if you are refused.

https://support.goodrx.com/hc/en-us/...e-or-medicare-

Old 02-12-2019, 02:29 PM

37,096 posts, read 45,613,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
GoodRx has an FAQ on this subject:

Short version is Yes you can, and call them if you are refused.

https://support.goodrx.com/hc/en-us/...e-or-medicare-
I believe the confusion is when folks donít realize goodrx is apart from their insurance. Totally separate. Another reason to use one of the plans (I prefer Blink) if you are on Medicare, is the drug costs do not get you closer to the doughnut hole.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:39 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,437,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
They should take Good RX. You just can not use both for the same prescription. One or the other. I have used Good RX at CVS for a one off prescription, and my insurance for the others. No problem.
I have done the same at Walmart when the GoodRX price was lower than the price with my insurance. The Walmart folks verified the price difference for me and were happy to bypass my insurance and sell me the med using the GoodRX coupon.

It is possible that the CVS person was confused about the policy or there was some other confusion regarding the either/or use of GoodRX/insurance.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 AM

439 posts, read 1,008,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
At most Costcos, you do not need to be a member to be able to purchase prescriptions.

Correct. Same goes for Sam's club pharmacy. There's some law that says you don't have to have a membership for the pharmacy (RX glasses not included).

I had to use Costco pharmacy for my mother's cancer med one time when it was on a national shortage, and Costco was the only place I could get it. They would not file on her Part D policy, so I had to pay cash. Probably could have submitted it myself for reimbursement but didn't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement