U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:38 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,073,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We have a checking account with Oregon Community Credit Union. We have about $20,000 in the account. At this point they Guarantee 1.35% as long as you meet certain conditions. It's a pretty good deal, but I'm not sure how long they can maintain that. I'm thrilled with a positive gain at this point.
Wouldn't laddering CD's get a better return? Unless you want to have all the money available, then I see your strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 09:08 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,751,712 times
Every time I sold, I wound up selling winners so I wound up paying the government in taxes, big time. No more winners to sell though.

May go the div payer route.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:45 AM

3,497 posts, read 1,921,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
7% drop in one week. Government shutdown, again. In hindsight the worst thing to do in 2008 was panic and sell. Just wait 10 years, and you will be good...
Sure, but as a retiree 10 years is now a much larger percentage of your remaining life then it was in 2008.

How much "long run" do we have left in us?

But yes, sounds like you aren't in a position of occasionally selling stocks for needed cash, therefore can afford to let it just sit there and eventually come back. And that, no doubt, would be the consensus advice of wise investors at this point.

I was in the market for 2-3 years, then sold out after the past presidential election. Clearly a mistake in timing, but still came out way ahead thanks to picks obtained from the Motley Fool. No more stocks for me-feel undeserving of the gains and losses are too stressful.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:48 AM

71,697 posts, read 71,801,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Every time I sold, I wound up selling winners so I wound up paying the government in taxes, big time. No more winners to sell though.

May go the div payer route.
that is worse !!!!! you will pay taxes on the entire dividend rather then just the appreciation part . in fact you will pay taxes even when your stock is at a loss because the div is taxable regardless

Old 12-22-2018, 11:09 AM

6,591 posts, read 3,674,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
We already planned for this scenario. We are letting the 401K ride, since we are taking 0% draw from investments at this point anyway. This is the one area where no debt, low COL and delayed SS has really helped us. If the market comes back, good. If not, well, nobody said retirement would be safe; just less hassle than working.
I'm in much the same boat -- haven't touched anything yet but will have to start drawing $ out of the IRA next year. It's disturbing to watch 1.5 years of growth evaporate. Delaying SS to age 70 helps a lot. I'm willing to sit tight for a while but my financial guy is sounding less positive than before...watch and wait and see where this is going.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:40 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,073,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm in much the same boat -- haven't touched anything yet but will have to start drawing $ out of the IRA next year. It's disturbing to watch 1.5 years of growth evaporate. Delaying SS to age 70 helps a lot. I'm willing to sit tight for a while but my financial guy is sounding less positive than before...watch and wait and see where this is going.
Where this is going, is a guess at best.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:52 AM

12,538 posts, read 4,238,327 times
Quote:
7% drop in one week. Government shutdown, again. In hindsight the worst thing to do in 2008 was panic and sell. Just wait 10 years, and you will be good. I panicked then and moved my 401(k) to one-third cash as an insurance policy against catastrophic failure. Helped me sleep at night.
Past performance is not a predictor of the future. Not always. Personally I think you made a good move going to cash then and I would suggest you do the exact same thing now. It's called a hedge -- and you may need it with the way things seem to spiraling out of control.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:19 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,509,811 times
I stick with what I need in the next 10 years is not in the market and everything else is in the market. That takes the emotion out of it for me. My more immediate money is in a fixed income fund and everything else on the roller coaster. When it goes down I figure it will be higher later and when it goes up all the better.

I have a pension and a part-time job so just let the drama unfold and watch it but it feels better to plan and not panic.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:37 PM

8,860 posts, read 5,141,353 times
Quote:
7% drop in one week. Government shutdown, again. In hindsight the worst thing to do in 2008 was panic and sell. Just wait 10 years, and you will be good. I panicked then and moved my 401(k) to one-third cash as an insurance policy against catastrophic failure. Helped me sleep at night.
Well certainly, you should not own more stocks than you are comfortable owning, with the knowledge that they can (and sometimes do!) drop sharply at any time.

I'm not doing anything to my portfolio. If stocks fall far enough, I will need to sell some bonds and buy more stocks. But other than that, I will stay the course.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:49 PM

4,003 posts, read 3,224,645 times
Im thrilled the market is tanking. Blue chip stocks are on sale, and Im buying as fast as I can. My dividend income is going up up up. Life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or