U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:59 PM

71,550 posts, read 71,730,589 times

Advertisements

you are getting poorer my friend . total return is what counts .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 02:59 PM

30,095 posts, read 47,335,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
ATT and Ford dividends are now over 7%.
Because their share price has dropped significantly...
The question is how long will they continue at that dividend rate

Companies HATE to cut dividends because that in itself can set off share price drops
But just understand that the same dividend from the same company at a higher yield is not a good thing...

Old 12-22-2018, 03:02 PM

a 7% dividend and a loss of 22% ytd , INCLUDING DIVIDENDS is a loss !!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2018, 03:07 PM

95 posts, read 26,512 times
Panic - No. Concerned - Yes. In my opinion, the market has been over priced for quite some time. As it difficult to time the market ( not impossible as you can always be lucky), the practical solution is to recognise that the market is probably overvalued ( or undervalued as the case may be in future) and adjust your exposure to a level where you can sleep comfortably at night. We adjusted our position at the start of this year. We expect some paper losses but should survive a major downturn.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:11 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,456,304 times
Only partially panicking (not really panic but more disappointment). My Dad passed away Nov 27th. As I'm in process of settling his estate, watching the hit his investments have taken hurts those getting inheritance. Not worried about the beneficiary IRA's to me and my brother because those will sit anyways. And not worried about the house because when it sells net proceeds will just get divided. It's the regular investment account that is to be sold to distribute when closing the estate. It will probably take until late February before I could do that anyways, but sucks the timing here of the market downward spiral.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Only partially panicking (not really panic but more disappointment). My Dad passed away Nov 27th. As I'm in process of settling his estate, watching the hit his investments have taken hurts those getting inheritance. Not worried about the beneficiary IRA's to me and my brother because those will sit anyways. And not worried about the house because when it sells net proceeds will just get divided. It's the regular investment account that is to be sold to distribute when closing the estate. It will probably take until late February before I could do that anyways, but sucks the timing here of the market downward spiral.
Remember that. You have to file an income tax for. Your. Father's estate
Don''t know your. State's laws regarding how the executor can handle accounts--
Maybe if you are in probate everything is in stasis till probate is over
But would selling to capture loses THIS year be a benefit to the estate?

Have you spoken to an attorney?

Just my butting in

Sorry for you loss--
I lost my dad over ten years ago and still miss him...

Old 12-22-2018, 03:20 PM

This is Lance Roberts's email
https://realinvestmentadvice.com/san...rm=READ%20MORE

I will just note that he has been advising as he says retrenching equity risk for most people this year
Apparently his experts are also predicting harder fall in 2019
Bear markets can have upswings that climb a good bit only to fall back

Old 12-22-2018, 03:40 PM

341 posts, read 140,780 times
I expect the stock market to continue the downward trend (as the marketeers say "The trend is your friend" in this case more like a frenemy). Why? Because our Dear Leader is talking about firing the Fed Chair who has 3 more years in his term and it may/may not be legal to do do. Autocrat much?

Stock market investors do not like to hear things like this, unless you are shorting stocks or a day trader. The market is looking for some good news. Not much seen in the near future. But a boatload of uncertainty offshore drifting closer.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:10 PM

Markets love walls of worry . They tend to reverse course on a dime long before anything looks like it changed .

I would not even attempt to guess . I have a scheduled rebalance next week and it is what it is

Old 12-22-2018, 04:57 PM

2,775 posts, read 993,967 times
I know it’s scary specially when the ones running the government are acting like children and could care less how it aff3cts the regular population. With that said I don’t need to touch my 401k for at least 7-8 years so I can hang on. Even once I retire I will keep out of the market at least two years withdrawals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or