U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 03:49 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,449,865 times

Advertisements

No! Even as a vegetarian - I continue to eat like a garbage can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:10 AM

7,798 posts, read 4,784,395 times
Yes, I'm one of those unapologetical finicky foods-must-not-touch people. And getting more so as I eat less and less.

Having menu items all slopped together on a plate is not appetizing or visually appealing. I particularly dislike those entrees where everything is dumped into a bowl, served in a dimly-lit dining room and you can't see most of what you're eating because it's covered with other layers of slop. If you're going to do that, why not go whole-hog -- so to speak -- and eat out of a trough?

We went to Fogo de Chao, one of the better Brazilian steakhouses, last night. A trip to Fogo starts with a visit to their Market Table, which is a salad bar on steroids. I chose fresh papaya, marinated mushrooms, Spanish Manchego cheese, tomato with basil and potato salad...just a small sample of each. As the freshly roasted meats arrived at our table, I paired a tiny bite of each of the sides with each bite of beef, pork, sausage or chicken. A server brought fried polenta sticks and fried bananas for two more complementary flavors. So I would get seven different tastes out of one thin slice of picanha (top sirloin) or roast pork.

DH found some carambola (star fruit) and other items I had missed. He likes both quality and quantity and doesn't care if his food touches. De gustibus non disputandum est.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:18 AM

1,694 posts, read 590,227 times
Food has been some kind of challenge for me for most of my life -- just different challenges at different ages, LOL. I had multiple food allergies as a child (milk, eggs, wheat, citrus, chocolate) which disappeared as a teen but then different ones emerged during my 30s and 40s.

Since age 65 I've had to be on an extremely limited diet due to several medical conditions that have incompatible dietary restrictions. Basically I live on just eight plain bland soft textured foods, no spices (not even salt or pepper), no fruits and only three veggies tolerated. So I guess I am classified as "medically finicky." I simply don't go to restaurants or eat at other peoples houses anymore because I don't want to have to impose my dietary needs on other people and frankly I don't trust chefs and waiters to be sufficiently knowledgable or truthful about what's in what dish.

Food/eating/cooking was never a fun part of life for me anyhow, due to all the above. Definitely am a "eat to live" rather than a "live to eat" person, LOL. Although most people would probably never want to eat the way I do now, the upside for me is that it takes minimal effort on my part! Which is not to say it's cheap. Somehow or other I always end up spending almost $300/month on food for myself even though for the most part the only things I buy are boneless chicken breasts, pasta, rice, oatmeal, bread, zucchini, carrots, butternut squash and Greek yogurt.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:34 AM

4,051 posts, read 1,131,526 times
The biggest change for me is salt content. I find many foods to salty now. I can still eat potato chips, but a small portion at a time. I still use Soy sauce, but not nearly as much as I used to. I can still eat a ton of sugar, so I have to watch that.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:06 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,390,630 times
What really changed my father's diet before he died was that he lost his sense of smell - after that he would only eat a few familiar foods, which caused him to lose more weight than he should have.

The thing I developed was a shellfish allergy - at age 58. Never had a problem with it (or any other food allergy) before and I have always loved shrimp and scallops. Now I can't eat them at all and I have to be careful eating my favorite Thai foods because of the shrimp paste in a lot of the ingredients.

As the poster above mentioned, when I eat out I often find the food over-salted. I tend not to eat out at fast food, family, diner-style or chain restaurants, where the problem is the worst.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-23-2018, 09:39 AM

11,116 posts, read 12,511,150 times
Seniors: have you gotten to be a "finicky" eater as you aged???

If it's remotely dead and cooked I'll eat it. Always have always will.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:56 AM

9,784 posts, read 7,069,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hi

My FIL says he "only eats when really really hungry ", which is probably why he only weighs about 125 pounds.

My father has said he wont eat but 2 times a day.

My OH doesnt like "bird", but will on ocassion eat tge chicken or turkey, only usually if i force the issue ( chix and roasted turkey are my favorites), and has gotten more adamant as my OH has gotten older.

Maybe you are one whose "food cannot touch each other"?

Thats what started this thread- i had a meatloaf, mashed tater and gravy, and corn for lunch/dinner- and i mixed the corn with the mashed potatoes and ate tyem together ( its all going to be mixed together at its destination after all)

So have you gotten more picky about eating as you aged?

IMO mashed potatoes mixed with corn is delicious. And other than having sweet food mixed with non-sweet food items on my plate ( for instance getting pancake syrup on my eggs or meat on a breakfast platter, or gravy on my cranberry sauce), having various other food items touch each other, or even mixed in a bit doesn't bother me.

As I get older, though, I do find I am more mindful of the number of calories, the nutritional value of what I am eating, and also watchful about eating things I know will not agree with me. I hate paying the piper later for those personal dietary indiscretions.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:02 AM

3,522 posts, read 1,559,553 times
Yes. The food down here is really bad, IMO. In the big cities it is much better. But we didn't move here for the food, I always say, LOL. Sick to death of white rice and plantains. Because the seafood comes from warm ocean waters, it is not very good. Sure do miss our wild Alaskan salmon! Lobster and crab (former favorites) are yeccch!

I make everything from scratch (by necessity) and substitute a lot of ingredients. I've decided I just don't like many food items so just quit eating them. But I never get hungry so it's not a hardship. Just a dinner meal around 8 pm is all I have. Some vegetable juice in the a.m. DH eats lunch (I don't like his omelets) without me. He commented how much more I cook now in retirement--I guess it's become a bit of a hobby. Thank God for the internet and its endless recipes, and converting grams to ounces! And "substitutes for..."

So yeah, more picky now.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:07 AM

2,494 posts, read 1,087,585 times
I have also gotten more cognizant of what is in the food. I don't want to eat meat that came from a big processing plant and was raised industrially. Things like supermarket sweets do not tempt me at all. I know the frosting is made with shortening instead of butter and it grosses me out. And volunteering in a food pantry, I am surrounded by that kind of stuff. 99% of it is a "pass" for me.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 AM

1,927 posts, read 996,754 times
I don't think I'm finicky but I no longer eat anything just to be polite.

And I don't deny myself anything I really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement