U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 01:44 PM

4,993 posts, read 2,304,195 times

Advertisements

“Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.”
-David Mamet

“You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there.”
-George Burns

“Why am I getting older & wider when I should be getting older & wiser?”
-Unknown

When I was a teenager & knew everything, I used to ask my dad why he never got mad at the elderly drivers who were driving too slow & hesitating; while he would get made at literally everybody else for “driving like an idiot”.

He would answer: “One day, hopefully; I will be a little old man too & I would want someone to be patient & respectful of me”. Dad is 77 now & anything but a slow or hesitant driver!

Nonetheless, every time I encounter an elderly driver; I “see”my dad & check myself, so as to not appear inpatient or rude. So that’s my favorite “old” quote: “One day, hopefully; I will be old too.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 08:41 PM

6,335 posts, read 3,593,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” ...

I guess the meaning of this to me is while I tried to enjoy my life as it happened, looking back now I wish I had enjoyed and savored the sweetness of each moment a little longer.

Having children at a much older age has made me realize that each day of their lives is a memory that will last a lifetime. Not sure if I was mature enough to have known that in my younger years
Your post reminds me why George Bernard Shaw said, "Youth is wasted on the young."

Old 12-26-2018, 02:54 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” Mark Twain

He also said,

“The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

Old 12-26-2018, 10:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,596,353 times
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson (A variant of "Man plans & God laughs")

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new lands, but in having new eyes” Marcel Proust

Old 12-26-2018, 11:38 PM

43 posts, read 15,570 times
Everyone dies, even me

Old 12-27-2018, 03:38 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,034,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
The only thing "golden" in your golden years is the color of your teeth and urine.
When you take your teeth out, what are you soaking them in?

Old 12-27-2018, 07:45 PM

4,458 posts, read 1,695,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” Mark Twain

He also said,

“The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”
He also said "On your death bed, what you will regret will not be what you did, but what you did not do."

Somebody else said "Nobody dies saying "I wish I had spent more time at the office"".

And from John Lennon, "Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted."

Last edited by cebuan; 12-27-2018 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,331,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
When you take your teeth out, what are you soaking them in?
Whiskey

Old 12-29-2018, 06:16 AM

33,933 posts, read 42,206,558 times
Personal to me:
No, I don't miss teaching.
No, I don't want to substitute teach (if I wanted to continue teaching I wouldn't have retired).
No, I don't want to drive school bus.
No, I'm not bored.
No, I don't want to go to the Senior Center and listen to you old women *****, complain and gossip while the old men brag about their sex lives and how strong their erections are (yeah, that's what they do).
No, I don't want the vacant seat on the School Board (this one is brand new and has a back story).

Old 12-29-2018, 07:08 AM

17 posts, read 5,491 times
"It is healthy to want, life would be no fun without wanting"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or