Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 AM

29,783 posts, read 18,638,771 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas to all. I'm working in a non-Christian country in Western Asia and have 4 days until I retire (I worked today). Flights are set for Saturday. Wife has expensive wines set to celebrate when I get home and the Hellcat awaits.

It's been an adventure and i have had opportunities I never thought I would so here's to a new adventure while I sip my Pomegranate local wine.

P.S. How about my timing with the market in free fall?

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 12-25-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 09:49 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,078,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Merry Christmas to all. I'm working in a non-Christian country in Western Asia and have 4 days until I retire 9I worked today). Flights are set for Saturday. Wife has expensive wines set to celebrate when I get home and the Hellcat awaits.

It's been an adventure and i have had opportunities I never thought I would so here's to a new adventure while I sip my Pomegranate local wine.

P.S. How about my timing with the market in free fall?
Congrats on your retirement, enjoy it the markets will rebound at some time.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:52 AM

10,999 posts, read 6,529,542 times
I wish I had some pomegranate wine.

GOOD FOR YOU, TT. Many congrats! Who cares about the market---you're retired!

Old 12-25-2018, 09:56 AM

705 posts, read 558,210 times
Congratulations!

Old 12-25-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Congrats on your retirement, enjoy it the markets will rebound at some time.
I know, I'm not worried...I planned for the worst case scenario...I think

Switched from Pomegranate wine to Jim Beam and deep in some good music jams....Low Spark of the High Heels Boys..

Old 12-25-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I wish I had some pomegranate wine.

GOOD FOR YOU, TT. Many congrats! Who cares about the market---you're retired!
You ever tried it? It's really good...I mix it with some Italian red and bada bing, delish. Pomegranate is just part of the life here in Azerbaijan.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:34 AM

3,978 posts, read 1,967,992 times
Quote:
You ever tried it? It's really good...I mix it with some Italian red and bada bing, delish. Pomegranate is just part of the life here in Azerbaijan.

Good luck and happy travels, TT.

I recently bid on an assignment to Baku, but did not get it. I like that part of the world.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:35 AM

105,708 posts, read 107,700,939 times
Quote:
I know, I'm not worried...I planned for the worst case scenario...I think

Switched from Pomegranate wine to Jim Beam and deep in some good music jams....Low Spark of the High Heels Boys..
this is exactly why the rising glide path for pre retirees was designed . i know many here did not want to hear about such a method in a bull market but this is just why it exists .

you basically reduce equities pre retirement when markets are up , to about no more 30-40% equities ... you then increase each year over time slowly coming up to your intended allocation level .

it keeps you from taking a big hit early on when things are the most dangerous to a new retiree .

after you get a good run up the danger is a lot less of a down turn hurting you . but an extended downturn early on while spending down can be like a trader having a string of losing trades day 1.

liquidating some stocks if you run low on bonds or cash because of an extended downturn is not a problem proving you had a bull market first . but an extended down turn or a down turn with higher inflation like the 1965/1966 retiree got hit with can be killer

Old 12-25-2018, 10:39 AM

555 posts, read 590,555 times
Congrats, Tall Traveler!! Enjoy. That pomegranate wine sounds delish!

I'm behind you by a couple of weeks (last day of work January 10th; "official" retirement date due to PTO pay is February 8th). I'm a little concerned about my timing, but I'm letting my financial guy do the worrying. That's what I pay him for.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Good luck and happy travels, TT.

I recently bid on an assignment to Baku, but did not get it. I like that part of the world.
It's not bad, I would probably like it better if I was 25. I had a discussion with 2 ladies that work for me today (Christmas) about the "spirit" of Baku versus the USA.

I have Business Class tickets back to the Evergreen state soon...ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement