U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:46 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,878,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you have lived in Detroit for ANY length of time as I have, you would know that MOST small property crimes in Detroit are NOT reported as the DPD will NOT send an officer out there. Wither you have to go to the station OR you will wait for days for a detective to get back to you. Ditto for St. Louis where the wait is at least three hours.

One of my employees in Detroit bought a new car. The next morning, she found someone in the car ripping out her stereo system. Her ONLY call was to her husband who placed a shotgun against the thief's head.
Ah yes, Detroit. A few years ago I was visiting friends in that area (Birmingham) and forgot to lock the car one night. The next morning I found the right front car door open and a trial across the lawn. There was an old open mostly full box of chocolate cookies in the glove compartment that was maybe 3-4 years old. The empty box was a few feet from the car. A few feet further someone had thrown up. And a few more feet, they had again. Nothing else was taken, just the cookies. Had a good laugh over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 28 days ago)

10,522 posts, read 14,353,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you have lived in Detroit for ANY length of time as I have, you would know that MOST small property crimes in Detroit are NOT reported as the DPD will NOT send an officer out there. Wither you have to go to the station OR you will wait for days for a detective to get back to you. Ditto for St. Louis where the wait is at least three hours.

One of my employees in Detroit bought a new car. The next morning, she found someone in the car ripping out her stereo system. Her ONLY call was to her husband who placed a shotgun against the thief's head.
This is true of Memphis as well, I had forgotten about that. I had a breakin and had a TV and some small items of jewelry stolen and another time had a vandal bust out the back windows of my car, and both times I was told I could file a police report over the phone for insurance purposes, but they would not send anyone to take a report. I don't believe we filed either time because the loss/damage amount wasn't over the amount of our deductible and we didn't want our rates going up, so we just didn't bother.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM

28,287 posts, read 39,947,386 times
Had that happen in Nashville. Someone broke into our car in a hotel parking lot across from the Grand Ole Opry. Hotel knew it was an ongoing problem and never said a word to the guests. One couple lost expensive presents from their 50th anniversary party (Why they left them in the car is anyone's guess) and the police refused to show up.

Between that and some of the rudest people I've ever met Nashville is a city we don't visit anymore.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:09 PM

857 posts, read 4,476,413 times
Since I originally posted this thread several years ago I have moved to Florida. I really had my sights set on Greenville, but hubby had different ideas. Since he always lets me have my way I figured that I owed it to him to let him have his way, so here we are in Port St. Lucie. I must say that Isurprised myself by adapting to it almost instantly, and I have no regrets.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Since I originally posted this thread several years ago I have moved to Florida. I really had my sights set on Greenville, but hubby had different ideas. Since he always lets me have my way I figured that I owed it to him to let him have his way, so here we are in Port St. Lucie. I must say that Isurprised myself by adapting to it almost instantly, and I have no regrets.
May I inquire about cost of insurance for your house and flooding?

"None of your business" is an acceptable answer.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,953,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
May I inquire about cost of insurance for your house and flooding?

"None of your business" is an acceptable answer.
I can tell you what we pay ($2385 for homeowners' - $479 for flood) - but I'm not sure information like this is helpful unless you get all the particulars. Where the house is located - the company in question - the amount of coverage - whether you have options like "rebuilding to current code" coverage - the windstorm deductible - the year the house was built - any "windstorm proofing" - ranging from roof tie-downs to shutters/impact windows - the flood zone where the house is located - how high the house is - whether you're in a sinkhole area - etc. - etc.

BTW - this is the current issue when it comes to flood insurance. And it affects many people who live anywhere near a body of water (ocean/river/lake) - whether they're in Florida or Massachusetts:

Flood insurance costs soaring for thousands of homeowners - Oct. 21, 2013

It's something that will affect tens/hundreds of thousands of people who own places or are planning to move. It's pretty easy to get information about how the changes will affect different locations - even individual properties - using local news sources. And everyone who might be affected should look into it. Robyn

Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM

That's one of the things that has slowed down our consideration of Sun City Hilton Head. The maps for that area are not slated to be redrawn until May of next year and it may be later since the people who are supposed to be running our country are intent on ruining it instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or