Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:10 AM

1,353 posts, read 789,518 times

Advertisements

Also too: what happens, when it comes to the edge of the stairway, second floor? Does it fall down the stairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 08:04 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I have an area rug with fringed edges. Hate the fringe but love the rug.
Anyway, how would one of these contraptions handle fringe?
The newer Roomba's don't seem to have a problem with fringe. The earlier models would try to eat the cords behind your TV too but the newer ones are good at sensing them and avoiding them.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Also too: what happens, when it comes to the edge of the stairway, second floor? Does it fall down the stairs?
It senses the step makes and either turns around or has a senior moment and stops at the step and beeps until you go turn it around. Again the newer models seem to have fewer problems when they encounter steps than the older ones did - and I'm only talking about Roomba's not other brands as I am not familiar with them

Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 AM

302 posts, read 182,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Anyone who doesn't visit the Pet section of this forum missed this three, lollollol

Roomba goes over dog crap and paints house in crap
A similar thing happened to me but my dog had thrown up. Fortunately I caught it early and was able to clean up. It was not on carpet so clean up was easier. I never operate it when I won't be there.

I purchased the first Roomba when it came out and it had some problems. Since then, I have had two and I would never be without it. You do have to clean the brushes and pull dog hair caught on the spools, but I would rather do that than vacuum.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:31 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
We had a Roomba several years ago (10+) and liked it ... except it seemed to periodically get stuck under stools or on loose throw rugs. Also, it never really went back and docked as advertised - and I had to replace the batteries once or twice. Finally, the 'brain' went out and it would only go around in circles, so we got rid of it.

My daughter got a new one this Christmas and I'm wondering if Roomba has overcome some of these earlier problems.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 AM

143 posts, read 150,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Sorry, do you know WHICH model of Neato, please? There are many of them on the market.
Well, its the cheapest one!

Old 12-28-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We had a Roomba several years ago (10+) and liked it ... except it seemed to periodically get stuck under stools or on loose throw rugs. Also, it never really went back and docked as advertised - and I had to replace the batteries once or twice. Finally, the 'brain' went out and it would only go around in circles, so we got rid of it.

My daughter got a new one this Christmas and I'm wondering if Roomba has overcome some of these earlier problems.
Yes, they have improved them a great deal, we have a 960 and have had no problems with it, even the issues in the past of having to remove the brushes and clean them is gone, the new 'brushes' are rubber blades and hair and stuff don't get stuck in them. Its wifi enabled and even works with Alexa. Things they could still fix - the opening for dust and debri is too small leaving some debris in the roomba when there is still room for it in the dust bin. Success in docking depends upon having the dock in a corner, otherwise roomba sort of pushes the dock around the floor while trying to attach itself, and Rooma still has an issue with very dark throw rugs on a very light colored floor. We have a black mat at our rear patio slider to protect a beige carpet. Roomba avoids it, I guess he thinks it's a cliff or something.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:44 AM

705 posts, read 562,192 times
We had a Roomba and I was actually glad when it died, there were places it missed. We now have a Neato Robotic Vac D80 and LOVE it, it misses nothing. The model I have is for pet hair and allergies. My husband has named her Rosie after The Jetson's Maid. When this one stops working I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I do have 2 little dogs but they don't potty in the house and if one got sick (hasn't happened yet) I would know before Rosie went to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d18Q_M9zFfU

Old 12-28-2018, 11:44 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
My daughter has one and she seems to like it well enough. My observation of her Roomba is that it's kind of high maintenance -- seems like it gets stuck a lot and can't find its way back home.

That, plus the Roomba's high price, makes me want to stick with my regular vacuum cleaner. It is kind of heavy, so maybe when it dies I'll just replace it with an inexpensive lightweight vacuum cleaner.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:44 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Anyone who doesn't visit the Pet section of this forum missed this three, lollollol

Roomba goes over dog crap and paints house in crap
Yuck, ours did that also when the Roomba wandered out of a sliding glass door that my daughter left open, and onto our balcony where the dog had pooed. Cleaning up the Roomba was disgusting, I used my pressure washer on the balcony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement