Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:30 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times

Advertisements

I've had my Roomba since 2012 and it's still working well. I do pickup some before I run it--90% dog toys. I have some Navajo rugs with tassel fringe on the corners--no problem with them or electric cords. The Roomba is made to deal with them.

While I really like my robotic vacuum for an easy clean up. I don't think the suction is as strong as my Shark Pro. That's the one I use if I plan to shampoo the rug. To me, the Roomba is akin to dusting--removing the hair and visible debris on top of the rug. I wonder if the newer ones have stronger suction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I've had my Roomba since 2012 and it's still working well. I do pickup some before I run it--90% dog toys. I have some Navajo rugs with tassel fringe on the corners--no problem with them or electric cords. The Roomba is made to deal with them.

While I really like my robotic vacuum for an easy clean up. I don't think the suction is as strong as my Shark Pro. That's the one I use if I plan to shampoo the rug. To me, the Roomba is akin to dusting--removing the hair and visible debris on top of the rug. I wonder if the newer ones have stronger suction.
I follow my Roomba about once a month with my vacuum, which happens to be a shark.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-29-2018, 12:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Anyone who doesn't visit the Pet section of this forum missed this three, lollollol

Roomba goes over dog crap and paints house in crap
Happened to my son with his dog...wasn't pretty...if you have a pet only set it when you are home...

Old 12-29-2018, 12:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Had a Roomba from 2005-2007...one day the poor little guy just had a nervous collapse and just starting going in the same small circle over and over...my bristles used to get tangled with hair on a regular basis...but I'm sure since 07 it has improved a lot!!!

Old 12-29-2018, 12:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Had a Roomba from 2005-2007...one day the poor little guy just had a nervous collapse and just starting going in the same small circle over and over...my bristles used to get tangled with hair on a regular basis...but I'm sure since 07 it has improved a lot!!!
It's called the circle dance, and it's easily fixed by dusting the sensors and/or cleaning out the wheels.

You also need to remove the hair from the bristles. Easy fix.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Meh. Some are physically limited and a Roomba is a good option.

For me, house work is not even exercise, it gets m heart rate up to what? 90 BPM? That's IF I forget stuff on another floor 4 or 5 times in a row. I need it up to at least 145 to be called exercise. While I'm actually at the gym, or taking the dogs out - the Roomba is doing my housework.
Exactly. I don't see vacuuming as a great form of exercise especially if you do real exercise as part of a routine. These self vacuuming devices sound very efficient and worth having.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:11 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Question. obviously end tables, coffee tables, etc, aren't going to get moved all the time. How close do these thing get to the legs of furniture or close to the wall?

Old 12-30-2018, 05:44 AM

252 posts, read 234,627 times
I have a Roomba 671. It gets along well with my cocker spaniel but I'd hardly describe them as friends. Roomba keeps trying and bumping his rear end but the cocker spaniel just turns his back and walks away.

It's good for a quick swipe before my brother-in-law comes over but is not a substitute for our more powerful upright. Of course, it's more fun than the upright. My main complaint is that it seems to go over some spots obsessively while ignoring others.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:59 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
I have a Roomba to clean my gutters. Made by i-Robot the same company.

Doesn't work worth a crap!

It gets stuck under the gutter mounting straps, can't advance through heavy debris, and throws wet messy gutter sludge all over the siding. So then I need to wash the house after retrieving my expensive stuck robot from the gutter!

It might work extremely well for someone living in an arid or semi-arid environment where the robot only needs to remove pine/cactus needles and dry leaves. NOT GOOD for the Great Lakes region with our ample precipitation.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:51 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
The ones that mop- how do they stay off area rugs???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement