Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you miss your former coworkers?
Yes 32 40.00%
No 33 41.25%
Hell No!!! 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 03:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,953,104 times

Advertisements

I keep in touch with several of them, but only online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 03:55 PM

22,975 posts, read 18,291,292 times
As usual, the poll is just an excuse for an OP's urge to present some personal agenda. You could create the same poll with questions like "Do you like the people you work with?" The OP has stated in the Work & Employment forum their views about relationships in the workplace. The poll only provides choices that further the OP's agenda. Life is usually more complex than some Yes/No poll.

All that being said and to answer the question no one asked, I miss SOME of the people I worked with. I DON'T miss others. Simple.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-28-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 04:28 PM

37,474 posts, read 45,706,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
I'm just curious, because a lot of people talk about missing their former coworkers like they have lost a bunch of friends or something along those lines. I was always at work to work and didn't care to get to know my coworkers, most of whom acted fake anyway, so missing them was never a problem when I left a job.
Well, I’m not retired yet. But I have made lifelong friends at every job I’ve had. And the job I am at currently, that I will retire from, definitely there are people here that I will continue to see and be friends with after I retire. Two people that retired before me, one about four years ago, and one two years ago, I still see pretty regularly. I guess it’s all about your attitude and how you deal with people in your job. For me, my jobs have always been a source of really good friendships.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:15 PM

314 posts, read 237,425 times
The deeper I go in retirement (31 DEC 2017) the more I realize the less I had in common with my co-workers. I knew we were not friends.
The people I worked with shared 3 common interests: hunting, trucks and football. Anything outside of that was not even mentioned in a group of three or more people. They were afraid to be individuals. The Christians were almost ashamed of their Lord. And I am not knocking Christianity. That is simply the way things were. Now, I feel sorry for them.
As the months go by, I miss my former co-workers less and less. Now I know we had nothing in common and that all conversations not work related were distractions. I am no better than any of them. Some were really good people. We just did not have anything to bind us on a personal level. I think that is part of what goes with an industrial work environment.
For those of you who have meaningful relationships with former co-workers, I am truly happy for you.
May the good Lord bless and keep you.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,090,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm reading this thread as someone who is NOT retired and wonder if it has surprised any of you that either:

- You've missed people you worked with and didn't expect to?; or
- You haven't missed people you worked with when you did expect to?

Interesting question. It's funny, but I don't think I had any expectations one way or the other. I guess those people really weren't that important to me, although I enjoyed their company. (Well, I enjoyed some of them, LOL. Others not so much.)

Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,504,900 times
I have had the good fortune to work with people whom I not only admired, but whom became great friends. I currently work in an environment where there is virtually no one I would consider a friend. It’s a tough adjustment after having worked in several jobs in which co-workers were also great friends. Yes, we’re all at work to work but, when you work with people who share a commitment to the work and, whom you share similar interests, it makes the job so much more rewarding. I literally count the days (and months) until I can leav my current job and I can honestly say that in an office of about 70people, I will somewhat miss 3 or 4. Very sad.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:14 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,365,586 times
Most of my co-workers were conservative married men and I am a politically moderate single woman. While I considered some of them to be good work "buddies", we were not true friends in that we did not socialize outside work and had little in common except our jobs. But I enjoyed working with them and appreciated their intelligence and senses of humor. Often we worked as a team. I sometimes miss these guys and occasionally miss my work - it was an interesting career and I felt that I made a real contribution to public safety.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:08 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,340,656 times
I missed them alot. Worked same company for 38 years, in 20 quite different jobs, and knew some the entire time. But we did not socialize with them just great people to work with but I always kept my company side and private family side separate. If you do not you get into group think and are not balanced or board enough to have a good perspective on the world.

I miss the work too but not the stress and long long hours. I worked in an industry and for a company that is not popular these days but can tell you its a great place to work. Pays very fairly, works you hard to recognizes you for doing so, ethical, interesting and challenging job and honest, fair people through out the globe working for this company.

I am very happy to be retired now 11 years but miss them and the content of my job.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 AM

11,017 posts, read 9,646,254 times
I worked for the same utility for over 20 years and at least 18 of those years were with mostly the same very large group of people, in various different positions. Some of them I either shared a large cubicle with, or worked across the aisle from, for over 10 years. We also worked in the field, and would frequently accompany each other on our field work, and even traveled together to workshops and training trips. So I knew them quite well. We ate thousands of lunches together, and even went camping with several of them on multiple occasions. We invited each other to our homes for dinner and parties. We met and hung out with each others spouses, played golf together, worked volunteer opportunities together, I even went on a cruise with several. So yes, I really do miss them.

We were still seeing our closest work friends fairly regularly in retirement, until we moved out of state. Now we keep in contact through facebook and when I visit my family back in CA, I try to meet up with a couple for lunch or dinner, to catch up. Almost all of my long term friends (10+ years) have been people that I worked with at some point.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,188,815 times
I think you're going to find two sides to this question--either you liked your co-workers, or you didn't care. And the poll (as it stands now) reflects that, at roughly 50-50.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer, nor definitive answer. Because everybody, and every workplace, is unique.

For the most part, I liked my fellow workers. And I miss many of them. It's the ONLY thing I miss. I don't miss work, I don't miss the stress, I don't miss the clock. But I miss the people. I worked with some of them for decades, and they are like family to me.

I've been retired since 2014 (hard to believe it's going to be five years in a few months), and many of us still get together. We have lunches, or see each other on weekends, or at parties.

But that's just me. Every reply will be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement