Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On Christmas Day I was with:
Just myself (I was all alone) 30 27.27%
Just my spouse and me 41 37.27%
My Immediate Family (Spouse and Kids) 18 16.36%
Small Extended Family (6 or less people) 12 10.91%
HUGE group of family and friends 9 8.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:04 PM

997 posts, read 709,774 times

Advertisements

I was on VACATION! Christmas Day I was in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. And I toured Thailand, Hong Kong, and Singapore beginning Dec 2. I had a great time. Second year I have opted out of Christmas.

Major bragging rights: I took a picture with a Tiger in his den.

Christmas decorations, music, Santa was everywhere in SE Asia, even Muslim areas

I do have 2 married sons that had their own plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 05:20 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
TwoByFour.
we agree with you.
"Thanksgiving is more important to us."

Christmas is about the Children.
Thanksgiving is all about the famdamily.
we do a BIG Thanksgiving, but split up into
our component parts for Christmas.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:51 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I was on VACATION! Christmas Day I was in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. And I toured Thailand, Hong Kong, and Singapore beginning Dec 2. I had a great time. Second year I have opted out of Christmas.

Major bragging rights: I took a picture with a Tiger in his den.

Christmas decorations, music, Santa was everywhere in SE Asia, even Muslim areas

I do have 2 married sons that had their own plans.
You simply can't escape it today. I've read that in China some keep their Xmas lights up all year long. I've been to Thailand a couple times, thought about going there for an un-Xmas, so that clears it up, not even in Buddhist Thailand will you escape it.

I suppose some people aren't taking into account, those that are having the happiest Xmas's devoid of family! That's me!

As far as walking with someone and the yap-yap-yap, well Smartphones have greatly reduced that yap-yap-yap. Walking with you and they get bored, out comes the Smartphone. Thank-you, thank-you!

I do have my pet leash-trained ferret, who is as sweet as sugar, my most treasured family member for the holidays.

I do live in a Mobile Home Co-op where they put on a huge Xmas spread, compliments of the Association, and tonite they've hired a band from 7p-11p with lots of people expected. Not usually into big gatherings, and if I feel uncomfortable after 2 glasses of wine, I'll leave and take the ferret for a walk.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The OP is phrased in a way that suggests on Christmas one requires the presence of other people as an enormous human sugar teat.

Christmas is neither a holy day nor a holiday for me, but for years it has been a wonderful day to spend in a totally quiet building enjoying books and music.

I am old.. Most close family members are deceased, and the rest live 3,000 to 6,000 miles away. I do not boo-hoo about it on December 25th nor any other day of the year.

I walk alone because I like to hear the birds, the wind in the trees and the sea. Walk with someone and too often all you hear is ceaseless yapping such that you might as well be walking some noxious Yorkie mutt.

A guy after my own heart.....

Old 12-31-2018, 07:01 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I would have stayed home alone on Christmas but a friend invited me to lunch with her and her husband. There wasn't an option for that in the poll.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I'm going to change the wording of the question as it pertains to me.

Quote:
Any retired folks here who celebrate Christmas who have no relatives for Christmas gifts and socializing?
Just another day for the cat and me. A little more quiet perhaps with most of the neighbors on my floor gone to celebrate the day.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:57 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
Some years our holiday is quieter. This year we traveled quite a way. Had a day with 10 - kids and grandkids. But some years we're not able to get together as now we're more spread out. There is a whole other side to this family who could care less if we had people to be with or not. Last year 5 came the day before Christmas and then Christmas Day we were by ourselves. That does take some getting used to since we've been used to getting together with everybody.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:41 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I know several people like that - extended family who knows where, and the elder lives wherever the family homestead was decades ago.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:51 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Usually our grown kids who live hundreds of miles away are here.

This year there just wasn't enough time to travel considering the grown grandkids school and work schedule.

We did the traditional NY city Jewish Christmas. Went to the movie and ate Chinese. The movie was sold out. All 24 screens were full.

When the kids were all in college and had to travel home, we decided since they were traveling why not go someplace fun.

I was amazed that Washington, DC and Disneyland were packed on Christmas day. Kids running in the halls of hotels to the rooms of other family members. It was an education about holidays.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:45 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Last year there was a big fight between my children, and none came to us. This year my daughter and her husband showed up for a day, and my son, D-in-L and grandson went to the other in-laws on the west coast.

But anyhow they live 1000 miles away, and the daughter lives 400 miles away.

I foresee lots of lonely xmases in the future. But my church will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement