Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:53 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times

Advertisements

I was really in the holiday spirit until about a week before Christmas when the work hours kicked up. I had to work every day but New Year's Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:19 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,687,585 times
Good but glad they are over.
No CC's used and nothing from savings was touched. So I'd call it a success lol

Old 01-04-2019, 06:48 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
December 23rd, I had a car accident while on vacation 1300 miles from home and totaled my vehicle. I got a ticket and dealing with it was a huge mess. I ended up having to sell it to a salvage yard and pay a lot of money in tow and storage fees at a body shop in the interim because of the Christmas AND New Year's holiday. Long story short, wife recommended I not drive, and she's probably right. Even if I do, I can't afford to buy a decent car right now anyway and buying a crappy car is just throwing good money after bad. I learned that lesson the hard way. Everyone tells me it's good that no one was hurt and although that's true, I'm still pretty depressed about it, especially since I live in a rural area and public transportation is not an option. Other than that, our holiday and vacation was fantastic lol.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:35 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,586,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
First Christmas since 1980 that I haven't worked (between restaurants and hospitals) so just another day.

Might have started a new tradition with observing NYE. A friend and I went to a late dinner and then there were short and sweet fireworks in the town (Ouray) that already looks like a Christmas card. Nine degrees out and snowing and very beautiful.

Still always glad to see New Year's Day. The illusion of a fresh start.
Ouray! Talk about a Christmas card town. I hope you were sitting in one of the thermal springs hot tubs watching those fireworks!

It was 80 degrees here and sunny at the beach. Same as every other day at the equator, LOL.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 AM

4,850 posts, read 3,626,344 times
Mine was just fine.

Christmas Eve drove to Santa Fe and did several of my bucket list items. Farolito Walk on Canyon Road, midnight mass at St. Francis of Assisi church, show at Lensic (no one on CD wanted FREE tickets so I had to use them) warm meal at the Plaza Cafe.

Drove home on Christmas day to escape the snowstorm.

No wonder my son has a trucking company - I drove 1600 miles in two days - must be genetic!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:27 AM

19,649 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
December 23rd, I had a car accident while on vacation 1300 miles from home and totaled my vehicle. I got a ticket and dealing with it was a huge mess. I ended up having to sell it to a salvage yard and pay a lot of money in tow and storage fees at a body shop in the interim because of the Christmas AND New Year's holiday. Long story short, wife recommended I not drive, and she's probably right. Even if I do, I can't afford to buy a decent car right now anyway and buying a crappy car is just throwing good money after bad. I learned that lesson the hard way. Everyone tells me it's good that no one was hurt and although that's true, I'm still pretty depressed about it, especially since I live in a rural area and public transportation is not an option. Other than that, our holiday and vacation was fantastic lol.
Although I am SO sorry about the car, I think it's amazing (and good) that you can still say the vacation was fantastic!

Good for you for focusing on the positive!

Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'd be depressed or angry too and maybe it's a wake up call, maybe your wife is right. I gave up my car about a year ago and I miss it sometimes but amazing how I manage without it...and $$ saved. I'm 80 and feel the knee mess could give me more trouble behind the wheel than good..... We have a lot of services around here to get where seniors have to go...and I get a lot of food delivered....it's doable and in my life freeing.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-04-2019 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 12:13 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,443,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Aaah sorry to hear that.

My holidays were really good but I don't put huge "expectations" on them. I long ago recognized that the "currier and Ives" vision of the holidays only leads to disappointment.

I had a big family dinner on the Saturday before Christmas, which was awesome but alot of work. got to see Nieces and nephews, cousins and siblings. always a good time. Since it was before christmas I got a lot of down time afterward.

Went to see two movies with my young adult sons. One son's birthday is the 27th so we took him out to dinner.

Got to the Franklin Institute (museum here in Philly)

Off loaded a box of records and some junk in the basement.

Went to the orthopedic surgeon for a cortisone shot in the bum knee so walking around with no pain. always a good thing.

All in all a good holiday.

AND THE BIG NEWS!! STARTING MY 365 DAY COUNTDOWN TO RETIREMENT
Congrats on your countdown to retirement!

Old 01-04-2019, 04:24 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,098,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Let me guess: He spent the entire time talking about his late wife.

I've been there, done that with another guy I met a few years back.

This one had already mentioned on the phone his late wife and it wasn't a long drawn out tale.
But...... he had not posted a picture. Even tho I had asked for one, he claimed he did not know how. I doubt that very much. He has 4 kids, one of them could have showed him how.

He was a worn down, older than me (he is 79), looks a lot older. Bum leg. Poor. I told him about bankruptcy and he wanted my lawyer's name.

Not what I was hoping to meet, sorry to say. I guess I found out that looks really are important.

Now I am back to wondering if I really want to find anyone.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:56 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,889,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Now I am back to wondering if I really want to find anyone.

Maybe give it some time...

I've never used online dating but I know several men who found their wives that way. There must be something to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement