Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:09 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

I've found a way to do it I hadn't intended, but it works quite well. You got a pile of laundry. You don't have time to wash it. You stuff it in a box, and then stuff the box, ugh 'somewhere'.

It ends up in the closet you put stuff waiting on 'later' to be looked through. Note, I NEVER toss before looking. I've had things which clearly should not have been, new stuff, good stuff, and so on tossed and had to be replaced. But I sort and toss, find a few things I'm just glad I found, and the older stuff which I won't be wearing make wonderful clean up stuff.

They go back in the box for when something dumps on the floor and needs a good wiping.

I know they say clean out and toss the unwanted but its such a waste sometimes, and if the blanket with stains can be your dogs comfy sleeping spot then save it and give the pup a nice spot which just might have your scent so he's even happier. Yes, you can buy some expensive 'dog bed' but your dog will love his well loved blanket even more.

I know we're supposed to all be ready to give up collecting, but most of the people I know, of various ages, had something they kept. My grandmother did glass dolls, and my favorite went to my mom and was to go to me. But I had it for a while, setup where she wouldn't fall, and loved to have her. She was a connection to family who is no more. Like my dads bowling trophy when he got first place. I didn't want a box, but the pieces they were most cherished about there to see and remember. But last move someone who should have didn't ask. It was just 'old'. I'd have made a scene if I had to to claim them.

So don't assume.

I'm working on finding all my stories to put together and put on the right boards.

Last edited by nightbird47; 01-06-2019 at 05:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:25 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've found a way to do it I hadn't intended, but it works quite well. You got a pile of laundry. You don't have time to wash it. You stuff it in a box, and then stuff the box, ugh 'somewhere'.

It ends up in the closet you put stuff waiting on 'later' to be looked through. Note, I NEVER toss before looking. I've had things which clearly should not have been, new stuff, good stuff, and so on tossed and had to be replaced. But I sort and toss, find a few things I'm just glad I found, and the older stuff which I won't be wearing make wonderful clean up stuff.

They go back in the box for when something dumps on the floor and needs a good wiping.

Sorry, but a closet full if boxes of unwashed old clothes would be unbearable to me...

Old 01-06-2019, 01:02 PM

938 posts, read 423,985 times
Yes, we need to declutter.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:13 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Sorry, but a closet full if boxes of unwashed old clothes would be unbearable to me...
Yup, the word for that is called “procrastination.”

Old 01-06-2019, 01:18 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
One word for minimizing, downsizing, organizing, simplifying, feng shui ...

I am trying to reduce possessions, simplify routines and everything basically.

It's really about freeing my life of everything that doesn't
add to my joy. Relationships, possessions, routines and such.

It would be so nice to sum it all up with one word..

Not sure what forum this belongs in, but many retired & empty nester friends are doing the same thing.
Just a natural progression for most❗️

Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:

I know they say clean out and toss the unwanted but its such a waste sometimes, and if the blanket with stains can be your dogs comfy sleeping spot then save it and give the pup a nice spot which just might have your scent so he's even happier. Yes, you can buy some expensive 'dog bed' but your dog will love his well loved blanket even more.

I know we're supposed to all be ready to give up collecting, but most of the people I know, of various ages, had something they kept. My grandmother did glass dolls, and my favorite went to my mom and was to go to me. But I had it for a while, setup where she wouldn't fall, and loved to have her. She was a connection to family who is no more. Like my dads bowling trophy when he got first place. I didn't want a box, but the pieces they were most cherished about there to see and remember. But last move someone who should have didn't ask. It was just 'old'. I'd have made a scene if I had to to claim them.

So don't assume.

I'm working on finding all my stories to put together and put on the right boards.
I had a clothes basket of dirty things and thought I'd get to washing them and needing them...nope, don't need them. One day when my cleaning person was here I asked her to take the basket outside and toss in recycle bin. When she brought the basket back in and it was empty, talk about a freeing experience. That stuff had been in that basket for over a year I bet and just sitting there. Now the basket is empty. I've learned at this older age, I need so so so little.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:07 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Quote:
I know we're supposed to all be ready to give up collecting, but most of the people I know, of various ages, had something they kept.
I do think that those of us who have the "collecting gene" never entirely eliminate it, though. (I speak as one afflicted with same, lol)

As a kid I collected model horses; all but two of them were given away to charity in my late teens.

As a teen I collected Florenza costume jewelry (all of which I sold on ebay during my late 40s) and books (I still do that although by fewer authors and on fewer topics.)

In my twenties I collected Lilliput Lane cottages; sold all but one on eBay during my fifties.)

In my thirties I began collecting art porcelain as a result of an impulse purchase of a piece of Boehm, and continued for 25 years. Then-husband and I had a collection of a couple hundred pieces eventually, almost all of which we had to sell at a whopping loss in the early 2000s to help pay medical bills. I kept the few I loved most though, and I confess that with the online prices so low I have picked up one or two additional ones. Okay, maybe more than a couple. But the extra curio cabinet does look very nice where it is... seriously...!

Don't even get me started on how many different types of garden plants I "collected" over the years. If it was a cultivar I didn't already have in my garden, I wanted it. Sometimes I couldn't tell them apart without a plant marker because the difference was so slight. But it was a new variety and so I had to have it...

My adult son inherited my collecting gene and has boxes of stuff (Kenner Star Wars toys, comic books, sports cards and memorabilia, dragon figurines, etc) that he has no place to display and my DIL sees absolutely no sense in. Yeah, it's a curse but it's fun.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Yeah, I admit that I have a few bags of unsorted mail - mostly to go through and pull out stuff to be shredded vs. recycled, and then eventually I say "let's live dangerously!" and I put it all right into recycling instead of shredding any of it.

But pack up dirty clothes in a box and put in the closet? Eww. Nope-ity nope nope. I might have a big pile in the laundry room that gets ignored for a little longer than I like but it still all gets washed and put away eventually (meaning in a week or so). It it's really going to sit, dirty and unused, for a lot longer than that, might as well just throw it out because it's clearly not needed.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 PM

226 posts, read 297,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Decrapifying?
I won't soon forget this one. LOL

Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Default I am enjoying my cleaned out house. so calm

In the fall, I put my house on the market and left only the non personal basics that I would need to come and go when I needed. All else was given away, discarded, or put in a small storage unit.

The offer fell through and I am back in my house full time while I make whatever decision about relisting, renting the house out, or whatever.

So far, I am enjoying the cleanliness, neatness, and simpleness of my house without all the stuff. It looks similar to pictures of a Japanese or Scandinavian type decor which has lifted my spirit considerably. Clean up is a breeze. Just living without all that stuff is a breeze.

This may be the hard way to simplify but it is very pleasant and contemplative even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement