Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:55 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,889,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes. Because they make the mistake of waiting, and thus allowing a decline in their condition. It makes for a much more difficult and lengthy recovery.

I will have to have some kind of surgery this year. My ortho says my hips are in excellent condition, so that won't be it, but I'm forcing myself to be more active and walk longer distances to build stamina in hopes that a fitter me will recover more quickly from what life throws at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 AM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I will have to have some kind of surgery this year. My ortho says my hips are in excellent condition, so that won't be it, but I'm forcing myself to be more active and walk longer distances to build stamina in hopes that a fitter me will recover more quickly from what life throws at me.
My ortho told me to keep riding. I would ride TWO HOURS some nights at the gym. He said that cycling would be my very best friend, both before and after surgery. He was right.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Sounds to me like active people will more likely benefit from the surgery than sedentary people (since they are less likely to follow thru with proper PT). Something to think about for anyone considering it.
Both will benefit. But those that have surgery when they are still active and in good physical shape will have a far easier and shorter recovery. Allowing yourself to slow down, to avoid surgery, is only going to hurt you.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 4,412 times
Your conclusion or assumption that the vast majority of those who need hip replacement is skewed. It has been my observation for the last ten years with knees and hips that those who need joint replacement are those who have had a life of physical activity of work and play and have simply wore their joints out.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,070,361 times
As far as balance issues and frequent falls, there could be other issues causing that. Don't forget to address that as a separate issue.

Ive know plenty of people with ortho issues that weren't falling several times a day. Fixing his hip will help his pain, but might not prevent any falls, or future pain as a result of those falls.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:50 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,627,252 times
I had total hip replacement 2 years ago. Did my research. Anterior is the way to go. Someone said it was harder to recover from. 100% wrong. It's the significantly easier for the patient to recover from.

Here's Britt Hume from about a week ago. This is him 6 days after anterior hip replacement. (He was way faster than me. I was about a month before I attempted no walker or cane. )

https://twitter.com/brithume/status/1077306977066385408

Used to have all kinds of pain and was on Celebrex. Now totally gone.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I had total hip replacement 2 years ago. Did my research. Anterior is the way to go. Someone said it was harder to recover from. 100% wrong. It's the significantly easier for the patient to recover from.
I've never heard anyone say that. Even minimal research on THR's will show that anterior is a much easier recovery.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgolfer View Post
Your conclusion or assumption that the vast majority of those who need hip replacement is skewed. It has been my observation for the last ten years with knees and hips that those who need joint replacement are those who have had a life of physical activity of work and play and have simply wore their joints out.
Your observation would not lead to a correct assumption.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:38 PM

50,178 posts, read 63,636,357 times
Once the joint is deteriorated, nothing will bring it back. He’s using a walker for Pete sake. At least 4 people I know in my retired age group have had hip replacements, including my husband. Everything went fine. Your husband’s quality of life is compromised. I’d get him to the best ortho practice in town and get er done.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Sorry to hear that. I heard that the anterior procedure is more difficult to get over. Mine was posterior. There are apparently three ways to approach hip replacement depending on the problem. Posterior seems to be the easiest to get over from what I was told. I still have a bit of weakness in the muscle running down the front of my thigh even with the posterior surgery but that weakness predated the surgery and is getting better.
That is exactly opposite of what is true. Anterior is MUCH easier, if you are a candidate for it. Those who are heavier (or obese) are not usually candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement