Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

Of course if you could work 10 more years and not touch the money perhaps you would have $4 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
I would split it evenly between three mutual funds; Vanguard Wellsley Fund, Vanguard Short Term Corp Bond Fund and Vanguard International Index. This will give you a combination of income and growth.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/Fun...FundIntExt=INT

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

Old 04-11-2008, 11:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am considering stuffing a third of my little stash in bonds denominated in Swiss Franks. The dollar is likely to inflate itself into meaningless numbers as a result of all the borrowing by the government and individuals.

No, I do not need to store my box of bucks in your temp unit. Banks have places called safety deposit boxes. If not, my cellar may be a very dangerous place to try and steal my stash. I was also trying to illustrate just how much $2 million actually is. It is $50,000 per year for 40 years without interest. Without having to work a person can live fairly well on $50k per year.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wornout View Post
I've been busy running my business for 18 years, and I've done well investing in real estate. I'm ready to cash out and walk to my mailbox for my direct deposit receipt.
Where do I invest? Any ideas?
I think you need to invest in yourself. Volunteering is a way to get great returns on your investment. In fact, you can get the greatest return you have ever seen and there is no way to lose. If all you are thinking about is making more money, then perhaps you have missed something that you hopefully will take the time to explore, and that is, how can I make the rest of my life meaningful and give back to this world that desperately needs people to care?

I sincerely hope that you can take some time to find the meaning in this life that you were meant to find.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,165 times
A lot is left out of your posts, so it's difficult to offer advice. If I'm right, you're 42, have worked your tail off, and are worn out. But other information would have been useful. Do you have dependents, long-term care insurance, how much (if any) of the $2M is actual cash (any tax-deferred; how much is in taxable accounts?), are there college expenses ahead for family or friends, do you have charitable goals, what does it cost you to live per year, etc.

The treasury ladders mentioned above sound good, and the I-Bonds, even though the fixed rate is currently zero percent, still yield an annualized 4.85% returm. You can draw down a 4% return almost indefinitely and live on $80K a year plus SS if you have it.

Two-million $ should be fine if you live alone and if you live modestly. Otherwise, and especially if you have obligations, it's a good start, but retirement at 42, IMO, could be a costly mistake. You could easily live another fifty years. Only you can answer the question you've asked.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,000 times
Bring it to Edward Jones. They've been handling our money and have been great.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:18 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
two good companys to ivest are Vanguard and Fidelity. 2 mil seems great, however,
will this all be taxed now? Will you have health insurance? you also might find that after
1 year you are bored. I think I would sit down, and get a few ideas b4 you cash out.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,304 times
I toyally agree with Janab's 4/7 post.
I am a millionaire several times over and have followed Bob Brinker for approx. 20 years. His website has the best books you could possibly read on this subject. He has a weekly broadcast that you can get the station in your area off his website. You can even call in and talk to him if you like.
I guarantee you will not go wrong if you take the time to get involved and forget about paying financial planners and stock brokers big bucks.
From what you said you are only 42 years old.....My godness man you should be able to live comfortably for the rest of your life if you just manage the money correctly.
I would open up an account with The Vanguard Group and talk to there C.D. dept to build a ladder of "short term" C.D.s ( 1 year or less ) until you get your act together. Remember though only $100,000 in each C.D. unless you have some tax deferred money and with that you can invest up to $250,000 per individual C.D.
Be sure to get clearification from Vanguard about CD investing so you have it clear in your mind about how to set up the laddering.
Save out enough cash for and emergency fund and cash to live on for a year.
I would put that money into the Vanguard Short Term Tax-Exempt Investors Shares where it will pay you tax free intrest and is totally liquid. You can write free checks for over $200 or more any time you need money.
Apply for a Mastercard or Visa Card that pays you a 1% or more cash back, and pay it off in full every statement. Use the card for most of your expenses and use your cash only when neccessary. You will be using their money for at least 30 days each month.

Take the time you need without any deadlines until you get your finacial head on straight.
I think you will benefit greatly if you check out Mr.Brinker. Bob Brinker's Land of Critical Mass : bobbrinker.com Marketimer © Moneytalk Bob Brinker
No Games and no Gimmicks......Just solid info.

Good Luck,

Silverfox

Last edited by silverfox; 05-17-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 03:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I say put it where you think it can make some money becasue ti is lossing value right now.2 millon sounds like alot but if you are cash out evrything it really isn't.I would watch out for anyone that is selling a book or get rich quick skem for sure.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
IF you still cant figure out what to do with it GIVE me some!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement