Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,363 times

Advertisements

I've been busy running my business for 18 years, and I've done well investing in real estate. I'm ready to cash out and walk to my mailbox for my direct deposit receipt.
Where do I invest? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wornout View Post
I've been busy running my business for 18 years, and I've done well investing in real estate. I'm ready to cash out and walk to my mailbox for my direct deposit receipt.
2 million and you dont know what to do with it? Buddy you dont need any help at all. None. I smell a brag.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:00 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Quote:
Make a check for the whole amount to normie, c/o city-data. I'll take care of it for you.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,363 times
Quote:
If you knew me, I might agree. I started my company when I was 24. Not much of a point of reference regarding "investment strategy".....The reality is that I don't watch Bloomberg or MSNBC. I have no idea what to do. I've thought about CD's, but think that is rather naive. I could roll my cash into commercial property with NNN leases, but that involves risk and dealing with tenants. I want no hassle. Did you ever see Good Fellas?
Pay me. I'm tired.
If you might have meaningfull ideas, Thanks in advance for your response.

Last edited by Waterlily; 04-07-2008 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: no cussing

Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 PM

739 posts, read 830,178 times
Invest it in AAA rated bonds or very dull companies with a long track record of paying great dividends. The last thing you want to do is invest it in some cockamamie nvestment and then lose it! You'll want the income from it, but most important, you want to preserve your principle.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Until you know what to do..spread it around in several banks in short term CD's. But only put $100K in each bank (FDIC limit). That gives you some time to learn about investments yet your money is earning some kind of interest while preserving principle.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,664 times
Cool I have a FANTASTIC place for you to put your $$$$$$$$

I believe it's a MATCH made in Heaven :

Need WEALTHY Man or Woman to FUND my Singles Retirement Community!!!
Show me your Bank Statement and I'll show you my Business Plan !

Location (undetermined as yet) :
BUT imagine Roloffs Farm outside Portland, OR meets Piggy's Market In Capitola,CA for a general idea of what I hope to have !

Targeted Market :
Built specifically for Singles (male and female) Over 50 that want to interact, continue learning, teach their core competencies and continue giving back either pre-retirement or after retiring .

What I envision it looking like:

~ 1000 sq ft cottage homes with complete wraparound porches
Green Building - stress energy efficient
Community Center for Activities, Classes and Get Togethers
Fitness Center with an Indoor/Outdoor Pool
Walking Trails with a manmade lake for paddle boating
Doggie Park w/an Agility Course
Organic Community Garden

Cottage Businesses on the premises:
(if you know Piggy's Market in Capitola then you will understand what I mean)

Art Gallery; Music; Day Care; Doggie Day Care; Specialty Foods; Holistic Center; Cafe; etc.

Quote:

Last edited by HDL; 04-07-2008 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: Don't BLAME a gal for trying :-0

Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Don't put all your money in one thing. A few CDs, laddered so one rolls out every few months. You can then buy a new CD (hopefully at a higher rate!), or you have ready cash.
A few mutual funds, a few bond funds. Make sure some investments are in tax-free funds, which would probably be municipal bonds.
Maybe a few stocks...and definitely those boring, sturdy investments that make everybody yawn but pay off year after year after year. If you don't have a good accountant, find one...they can give you ideas about things with tax advantages. And find a good stockbroker. You might want to make appointments at several places and sit down and talk to them - sort of an interview, with you intereviewing them. See what they'd suggest. Pick the one you like best.
Get some books and read up.
$2 million - good for you! Somebody called it bragging? That's a good, steady retirement nowadays, but not hugely outstanding. My parents, at dad's death, had about $1 million in cash and assets. Mom made more money than me, between social security and dividends. But then, she had her house and car paid for...her biggest expenses were prescription drugs and utilities.
By the time I can retire (10 or 12 years away), I figure I'll have to have at least $3 million to be like mom.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
You can get a balanced group of investments including those mentioned above.

Look to Vanguard for low costs and decent returns, and protection of your capital.

You can subscribe to Bob Brinker's Marketimer (tho he doesn't time the market, in general)
He has three balanced portfolios that have performed well since 1988. ~ 1% beta (very low expenses) I would at least listen to his radio program for a few weeks (6 hrs on the weekends) + a good "recommended" reading list.

Basically your $2M should give you $100,000/yr without eroding your principle (current recommendations are 4-6% withdrawal / yr)

Congratulations

Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Buy long term T-bills and live frugally from the interest. Keep 10% in physical gold. Preserve your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement