Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times

Advertisements

I have been but I never get anything from them. And don't really know them hardly at all and to them I'm just a old man in the background.
I'm not getting them gifts anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:46 AM

185 posts, read 196,331 times
I do, because I enjoy giving them gifts. The minute I no longer enjoy it, I would stop.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
heck no

Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Yes.

On my side of the family both nieces and their husbands are in the 30+ year old grouping, so they receive the same gifts my sisters and brother-in-law receive. This year everyone received a scarf and a box of two food items from Cherry Republic (we are in Michigan after all).

On my wife's side of the family our four nieces are ages 2, 12, 21, and 23. Their gifts are not of high cost and are various items appropriate for their age.

IIRC, none of our siblings purchased anything for our two sons. Not that I am 'keeping score" but this does provide additional answers to the posted question.

FWIW - my wife's sister insisted there was no valid reason for her to purchase any gifts for our sons once they were 18 years old. Ok, extended family gift giving often stops sometime so her cessation has been accepted for the past 20 years. But no one had better forget to buy a gift for her 21 year old daughter! LOL

Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
No. I never have,

Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Yes.

On my side of the family both nieces and their husbands are in the 30+ year old grouping, so they receive the same gifts my sisters and brother-in-law receive. This year everyone received a scarf and a box of two food items from Cherry Republic (we are in Michigan after all).

On my wife's side of the family our four nieces are ages 2, 12, 21, and 23. Their gifts are not of high cost and are various items appropriate for their age.

IIRC, none of our siblings purchased anything for our two sons. Not that I am 'keeping score" but this does provide additional answers to the posted question.

FWIW - my wife's sister insisted there was no valid reason for her to purchase any gifts for our sons once they were 18 years old. Ok, extended family gift giving often stops sometime so her cessation has been accepted for the past 20 years. But no one had better forget to buy a gift for her 21 year old daughter! LOL
does she actually say that? you must gift her daughter?

We as a family decided to just share food and have a good time during our Christmas. If you want to buy someone something go ahead.

Thankfully my sister has toned it down. She bought nice things, but nothing I needed or wanted. Save your money. If I want something - I can get it. Gifts are for little kids. But then I don't buy them anything either -

Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM

226 posts, read 214,695 times
There are 6 kids in my family (we're not really "kids" by any stretch of the imagination) and we all decided a few decades ago not to exchange gifts for Christmas or birthdays anymore. We were all of an age that if we wanted something we went out and bought it, so at the holidays all that was left to get for us was things that we didn't want enough to buy. It was a lot of shopping and wasting money by everyone, so we stopped.
We did, however, continue buying for the kids (nieces and nephews under 21) Now it is only for the great-nieces. Christmas is a time for family to get together and spend TIME, not money. Spend the money on the little ones.
On those occasions that I find something that I think one of my siblings would love I go ahead and buy it and just give it to them some time other than at a holiday so that I am not breaking the rules!

Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
I have 4 siblings and we're all in our 60s or close to it, so nieces and nephews are all launched. They also live several states away. There's no giving to great-nieces and -nephews (except by their grandparents, of course), even among the group living in the same area. I really appreciate this- I go there at Christmas and for us, it's all about the gatherings and the food and wine and the conversations.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Sure I do.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Being an only child I was spared the whole nieces/nephews scene.

As an adult my husband and I always bought gifts for our respective parents, "from both of us." Frankly I hated the process because my MIL was one of those who evaluated gifts not only via which of her sons/DILs gave her the 'better' gifts every year but also how every year's gift from each son compared to the gift previously given. And she had a way of making her evaluations known. So there was always a sense of pressure on our part for each year's gift to "top" the one we gave her/them the year before. My parents were not that way at all. They were thrilled with anything and everything.

The vast bulk of our gift exchanging was between the two of us and to our son. Nowadays I gift my son, my DIL, my DIL's parents, and now the new baby born this past summer. The same applies to birthdays. My DIL's mother was born on December 25th but everyone in her family gives her a separate b-day gift and thus so do I. My son and DIL are both only children and so no grand-nieces or -nephews there either. As I've always said, one is a prime number, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement