Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:56 AM

106,554 posts, read 108,696,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
are you asking the question of me?
i looks it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 05:29 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If you are wary of on-line calculators, but want to calculate your benefits, or see how working will increase your benefits, there's an Excel spreadsheet attached that will do that for you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/53930858-post26.html

All you have to enter is your total Social Security Wages for the years (your Social Security Wages are obtained from your W-2 and may be different than your actual total wages for the year).

You can make changes to the wage index as it changes over the years, and make changes to the Primary Insurance Amount and 2nd Bend Point as those change every year, too.

It is accurate only in terms of today's Dollars, because the Wage Index, the Primary Insurance Amount and the 2nd Bend Point change every year.

This link will give you Wage Index Data:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/AWI.html#Series

This link will give you PIA and Bend Point Data:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/bendpoints.html

If you're knowledgeable in spreadsheet functions, you can use Statistical Formulas like Trend or Forecast to determine future Wage Index Amounts, or you can eye-ball it or make your best guestimate.

The percent increase in the Wage Index from year-to-year corresponds to the increase in the PIA and 2nd and 3rd Bend Points, so if Wages go up 2.5% then the PIA, 2nd and 3rd Bend Points go up 2.5% as well.

It also assumes you're retiring at full retirement age and not taking benefits earlier, or delaying benefits, which can affect the amount of your monthly benefits.

Neither, actually, but if you insist, then it would be unsubstantiated rumor.

Congress is not going to allow benefits to lapse or be reduced, and any congress-critter that votes against a FICA tax increase or doesn't vote at all will face the wrath of voters, and their choice will become cannon fodder for an opposing candidate, who will win election over the incumbent.

But, as usual, Congress will wait until the very last minute.

Why? Political strategy.

Both Parties know it's a "must pass" Bill. Because it is a "must pass" Bill that means they can cram in all kinds of pork and other amendments to it.

A Real World® example would be the Bill to authorize funding to purchase body armor for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. My representative, Steve Chabot (R) voted against it 8 times. His opponent used that semi-truth in his political ads, but it back-fired on him, because Chabot then ran political ads saying, yes, he did vote against it 8 times, but he did so to force the removal of the pork and the amendments, you know, like $500 Million for an Exit Ramp to Nowhere, $750 Million for a Bridge to Nowhere, and $2 Billion for Solyndra, and several $100 Million for this corporation and that corporation and tens of $Millions for this pet project and that pet project and this pet program and that pet program.

If Social Security would collapse tomorrow, then what Republicans would do is attach an amendment to the Bill to increase the FICA payroll tax that also authorized spending to build The Wall.

Now, Democrats either have to vote "yes" and approve funding for The Wall or vote "no" and block the FICA tax increase, which makes the Democrats look like the bad guys.

Democrats either have to vote "yes" and approve funding for The Wall, or find some way to politically out-maneuver the Republicans and have the amendment authorizing funding for The Wall removed.

It's just a big game for both Parties.
Your description of the spreadsheet makes it sound way more complicated than it is. I rolled my own. You grab your yearly earnings from the Social Security web portal and paste them into a spreadsheet. You enter the inflation scaling number for each years earnings from the Social Security publication. Take the high 35 years. Then follow the instructions in the publication. I update mine every year when the new publication comes out.

Social Security will get fixed when it turns heavily cash flow negative. It is barely cash flow negative now. There is no point in hiking taxes to keep it cash flow neutral today so it’s not being addressed by Congress. In 10 years, there will be huge borrowing to pay benefits that will make it hard to fund anything else. Social Security taxes will go up then. No politician is going to vote for cutting benefits for anyone remotely close to retirement age or they’d face a recall election and get booted out of office.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:25 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,088,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i looks it....
--For us, since decisions are important and hard to reverse being fully informed is worth it. I guess other people would have reasons for paying for it or for not. Either way, and since were talking about more than a million dollars over retirement, it is comforting running it by an expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement