Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 02:43 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I gather this isn't a home that has a market value of $80K, right? If your home owner's insurance is $500.00 a month, then this must be an expensive home and furnishings.
No, it's because I live in a hurricane-prone area. FWIW, my previous homes in both Las Vegas and Bethesda had higher market values, yet my homeowner's insurance premiums were just a fraction of what it is in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 02:55 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, it's because I live in a hurricane-prone area. FWIW, my previous homes in both Las Vegas and Bethesda had higher market values, yet my homeowner's insurance premiums were just a fraction of what it is in Miami.

My homeowners insurance has increased to the point where it is annoyingly expensive. I'm New England coastal with far less hurricane risk than Florida or the Carolinas but I'm still part of the risk pool. I'm 50 feet MSL so no flood risk and I don't have wind risk that's anything like Florida. It's doubled since 2009.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 PM

480 posts, read 316,724 times
Having a home paid off and living in a lower cost area, makes a big difference in being able to live on a fixed income such as SS.

Another thing is to do all YOU can to live a healthy life when you are young. Certainly genetics has a major influence on health, but exercising, watching food caloric intake, and not using tobacco/ alcohol are all ways to better influence you good health. Type 2 diabetes is 98% diet related for example, followed by insufficient exercise.

And getting dentistry across the Mexican border is very cheap, and just about as good as in the states. Book a flight on Southwest 2 months in advance frmo almost anyplace in the US for easily $300-400 R/T.

I'm still 15-20 years from taking SS, but these are my plans so far.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:46 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
Having a home paid off and living in a lower cost area, makes a big difference in being able to live on a fixed income such as SS.

Another thing is to do all YOU can to live a healthy life when you are young. Certainly genetics has a major influence on health, but exercising, watching food caloric intake, and not using tobacco/ alcohol are all ways to better influence you good health. Type 2 diabetes is 98% diet related for example, followed by insufficient exercise.

And getting dentistry across the Mexican border is very cheap, and just about as good as in the states. Book a flight on Southwest 2 months in advance frmo almost anyplace in the US for easily $300-400 R/T.

I'm still 15-20 years from taking SS, but these are my plans so far.
i am a gym rat plus i run 4-5 miles every other day . been that way for years .

however genetics loads the gun and lifestyle pulls the trigger .. as my doctor said , you are prediabetic and one day that trigger will pull all by itself and you will be a type 2 diabetic . he was so right , diet and exercise delayed it but finally 3 months ago i had to go on 1 milligram of glimpride after all these years of stalling it .

you can only stall things that are genetic so long before they appear outside your control. maybe i could have pushed it out a bit longer with one of these "fad " diets or crazy ways of mixing fasting and eating a certain very regimented way , but nothing i could live with longer term so it is what it is .

Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM

130 posts, read 74,856 times
You can not out run a bad diet, you are what you eat

Old 01-22-2019, 09:52 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I gather this isn't a home that has a market value of $80K, right? If your home owner's insurance is $500.00 a month, then this must be an expensive home and furnishings.
Not necessarily as I stated in one of my posts my house cost me 36K in a depressed area, the insurance insists on insuring it for what they say is the replacement cost of $450K. It makes me very angry and costs a lot which on SS only is hard to come by, and I know if something happened to the house I would not see all or even most of that $450K.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:27 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times
This killed a deal on a house I was seriously considering. House was under $100K, but insurance was stating cost to rebuild would be $350K! WTF!

Old 01-22-2019, 10:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
To reply to the OP's question as to how those with only SS as income survive.

Five years prior to retiring I adjusted my budget/spending based on how much my s/s check would be each month. That way, when I did retire it was not a no-paycheck shock and easy to adjust since I'd already been living that way.

Fortunately I'm not materialistic, not addicted to shopping, never cared that much about traveling (i.e., cruises, etc.), am quite content with my lifestyle, and in fact haven't changed after retiring anyway.

I don't have cable tv since I use an indoor antenna and receive sufficient stations for my needs. No landline, just a basic low cost flip phone that is also sufficient for my needs. Fortunately I have free internet from Google.

Friends and I find numerous things to do without having to spend money, and if we do decide to eat out (which is rare and no problem), we don't eat at high cost establishments.

The one cost that needs to be lowered is rent and am diligently working to improve that as well.

So, for me, all is working out extremely well and am thoroughly enjoying retirement and not sacrificing anything.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:58 AM

130 posts, read 74,856 times
maybe you guys should try a different insurance agency, contact three or four different companies and compare,

Old 01-22-2019, 12:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
maybe you guys should try a different insurance agency, contact three or four different companies and compare,
I have contacted about 12 now and none of them are any different, either they still want to insure for about the same amount or they won't take it on at all. Too old etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement