Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 01:12 AM

947 posts, read 787,043 times

Advertisements

I know multiple singles living on SS alone. It can be done, especially if your house/condo is paid for.

The problem is when they have an emergency. They need to borrow from friends or work out payment plans with creditors, usually medical. One I know, has given up the car and relies a lot on a friend for transportation. Another is on a payment plan from recent colon cancer surgery.

I live in a condo that recently doubled the monthly assessments. It had to be done as this place was crumbling from neglect. There is now a group of very vocal seniors howling about how they can't afford to pay given they live on SS alone.

I'm 62, retired, and waiting until 70 to draw SS, estimated at 44,380 annually. My 2018 expenses, excluding health care, were about 16K. I don't feel my lifestyle is much different than when I was working 70 hours/week... except I have a lot more time to sleep! I eat 95% of all my meals in, walk most places, car is paid for and will be swapping it for a smart phone & bus pass eventually. Medical is and will always be the big expense. When I can no longer care for myself, it's time to permanently check out. In the overall scheme of human history, I've already lived a lot longer than the vast majority of my ancestors.

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 01-23-2019 at 01:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 01:26 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When I worked, I could always get in some overtime if I wanted extra money. Not an option anymore.
Yeah, it's option. Get a part time job if you want more income or create some income for yourself.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
That's right. Genetics wins. Always.
I would say he is way over doing it and needs a good long rest. Damn!

That just might be the reason he is exhausted.

Just reading about it made me feel tired and overwhelmed.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I would say he is way over doing it and needs a good long rest. Damn!

That just might be the reason he is exhausted.

Just reading about it made me feel tired and overwhelmed.
ha ha ha , i love when my wife watches her soaps daily . i nap ......

Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
fact of the matter is a healthy diet will beat genetics every time.

your cholesterol is up your sugar also. Your going to have a strong healthy heart with diseased arteries.
try eating less sugar and simple carbohydrates,running 5 miles then having a cupcake/beer/treat etc because, hey i ran 5 miles is not a healthy lifestyle. Taking a pill is much easier i guess but not the best. Maybe it's the statins affecting
your arms not the practice.

good luck to you
i wish that was true . as i said , i am diabetic ... i don't eat junk and haven't for many years . i eat very low carb and as little sugar as i can . that only worked until it didn't .

Old 01-23-2019, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Perfect example of why I'll never live in an apartment again!
i don't have drums in the apartment . i have a pad set that is not audible , i put hours in on it and no one hears it but me ... all actual drum use is at a drum studio.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know why people speak of "living on a fixed income" as some kind of doomsday scenario. Doesn't everyone live on a fixed income even if they work? When did living on a fixed income generally come to equal living in poverty?
i always say it is the working stiff who really lives on a fixed income . most get no raises for inflation at all .

at least ss gives raises .. that ain't fixed to me .

Old 01-23-2019, 05:55 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I know multiple singles living on SS alone. It can be done, especially if your house/condo is paid for.

The problem is when they have an emergency. They need to borrow from friends or work out payment plans with creditors, usually medical. One I know, has given up the car and relies a lot on a friend for transportation. Another is on a payment plan from recent colon cancer surgery.

I live in a condo that recently doubled the monthly assessments. It had to be done as this place was crumbling from neglect. There is now a group of very vocal seniors howling about how they can't afford to pay given they live on SS alone.

I'm 62, retired, and waiting until 70 to draw SS, estimated at 44,380 annually. My 2018 expenses, excluding health care, were about 16K. I don't feel my lifestyle is much different than when I was working 70 hours/week... except I have a lot more time to sleep! I eat 95% of all my meals in, walk most places, car is paid for and will be swapping it for a smart phone & bus pass eventually. Medical is and will always be the big expense. When I can no longer care for myself, it's time to permanently check out. In the overall scheme of human history, I've already lived a lot longer than the vast majority of my ancestors.
This is why I would never buy a condo or live in an HOA community, or rent for that matter. My strategy has always been to buy a home in a nice low cost of living area which has low property taxes when I'm ready to retire. I don't want to find myself at the mercy of a landlord or HOA.
Sure homes have expenses too, but you can choose how much to spend a month for general home improvements if you want to make them. You may eventually need a new roof but if you buy a home with a newer roof, that roof will generally outlive you if you're retirement age. The same goes if your water heater gives out. I'm not advocating anyone buy a house without any savings to back them up just in case.
Things like remodeling your kitchen and bathroom are luxuries, not necessities for me at least. I won't need a shiny bright new kitchen faucet unless the one already there breaks and often times that can be repaired instead of replacing it.
Medical issues are what they are and few of us have control over that part of our lives.

Last edited by marino760; 01-23-2019 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i always say it is the working stiff who really lives on a fixed income . most get no raises for inflation at all .

at least ss gives raises .. that ain't fixed to me .
My SS monthly raise was a net of $27.00, enough for slightly more than a half-tank of gas. (But definitely better than nothing, lol!)

As most of us posting on this forum are seniors, does anyone else remember the days of 10% raises per year and/or bonuses for most people (or at least that was how it was for me, and I was a retail department manager) and more than a 10% interest rate -- and for a couple of years, more than 15% -- on savings? Sure, there was inflation and mortgage interest was also double-digit, but for those who owned their own homes, it was great. My grandparents (who did own their own home) went from being able to do little more than pay their bills to having a nice amount of savings in just a few years.

Is it any wonder that so many of us think the "olden days" were better in many ways? (If one was white, straight, and at least lower middle class, that is.)

(Sigh.)

Old 01-23-2019, 07:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Is it any wonder that so many of us think the "olden days" were better in many ways? (If one was white, straight, and at least lower middle class, that is.)

(Sigh.)
You're lamenting the good ole days for middle class white people? Ha ha. I do applaud you for recognizing that other Americans have always lived a different reality than middle class white people. Most people have a hard time understanding that their personal reality may not apply to the person standing next to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement