Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,660,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by life changes View Post
(I am ready to hear from the people in their 70s who will tell us he/she is highly respected and people are begging them to work in their company.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
In their 70s? Oh heeellll no.
My husband turned 75 this past August and is still working. The beginning of this year, he put in a 6 month notice that he will be retiring in June of 2019. Everyone (except me!) is begging him to not retire. A lot of people have broken down and cried when he told them that he will be retiring. He is very well respected in his field and constantly gets job offers from other places all over the country - at least 3 or 4 times a week, someone either calls or emails him asking him to work for them.

I am thrilled that he is actually going to retire. Even so, he is not totally going to stop working and will maintain one of his current jobs, but that one is a minor commitment compared to his primary position.

So no, it's not out of the question that someone in their 70's is still working and still actively sought out by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
None of the men in my family ever retired... they kept working until they die.

Half are farmers on family farms... the old farmer just slows down there is always work to do on a farm

The other half were small business owners... first in and last home each day.

Dad was in his 70's and getting dialysis from his Chemo treatments... he got quire upset they were only offering slots in the middle of the day... he told them he has a business to run so they said what about 6 am... he said wonderful!

Old 01-18-2019, 03:01 PM

11,035 posts, read 6,586,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
many are just blind to the fact they just may not present a good image to an employer and confuse it with age or skill set .

how you come off as to whether you make a good impression or not is very important , just like dating .

some people would have a hooker say to them , can we just be friends ....
This is very true. IF IF IF, I got as far as an in-person interview, I got the job every time, regardless of age. It was just getting that far in the process!

My dad was being contacted by headhunters into his 80s as a physical therapist!

Old 01-18-2019, 03:03 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,505,524 times
AFter the age of 50 yeah, it is kind of difficult to find as good a job as the one you and in your 30s.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:18 PM

106,242 posts, read 108,237,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This is very true. IF IF IF, I got as far as an in-person interview, I got the job every time, regardless of age. It was just getting that far in the process!

My dad was being contacted by headhunters into his 80s as a physical therapist!
we have about 320 employees in the company i work for one day a week . 90% or maybe more were hired via someone walking them in . either they are someone known in the industry , an employee or customer walked them in , or they were someone a vendor knew of .

very few were hired cold either by just walking in or mailing a resume .

Old 01-18-2019, 08:27 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,114,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life changes View Post
I retired, after a job loss, when I looked at my drivers' license and myself in the mirror and came to realize that it would be nearly impossible to find another job as good as the one I just lost.

Yes, I could have kept applying and knocked my head against the wall and faced one rejection after another. I could have designed my resume in such a way to eliminate the dates of college and only talk about the last ten years. Maybe I would get an interview but as soon as I walked in the 25-year-old HR assistant would look at me strangely and the hiring manager would just go through the motions and cut the interview short.

At a certain age, it is just easier to retire and not put up with the abuse and discrimination. Right?

(I am ready to hear from the people in their 70s who will tell us he/she is highly respected and people are begging them to work in their company.)
I like the last paragraph, if that's irony. First two paragraphs are just ugly. Truth to tell, my mentor (executive coach) is a retired general manager, I think he's about 65 now. They ran him out of his last Sr. Director job five years ago by pretty much removing his responsibilities and leaving him little to do for a year prior. He got decent severance, but wanted to go out with a bang vs. a whimper.

Point being, he's taught at the local Comm College, and had a couple real jobs since (at far less money), which doesn't bother him since he truly "retired" that day five years ago. He's good, works part time, and I suspect will be in-demand @70 though he claims his skills are getting a bit rusty. What we do, however, has a professional license/certification, on principals of engineering that have not changed much in sixty years or so. I do believe that will always have a certain value, even for old duffers. He's a silver haired, tall fellow with a lot of gravitas. Sometimes that carries weight, sometimes not. When working with 30-somethings active as chipmunks on hot bricks, not a bit. In a serious negotiation for millions of dollars, though...it surely does.

I'm 51, look about ten years younger (if you hear it enough times from those with no skin in the game, I'm assuming it's true). Just closed on a deal for ...a lot, frankly*... because my skills even at this age are red hot. That's why I have them, yes? Go where the money is, you'll be in demand even at 70 "I think". We shall see, though. Oh, my new boss is about my age, as is the executive another click up. And yes, that matters in why I was hired, surely. People (your) age will definitely respect your skills more.

Older my friends and I get, the less we want to put up with what you call abuse and discrimination. I generally call it BS. I've seen it all, been on the receiving end of just about everything, and just roll with it. But every year, I must agree, it grows tougher to deal with.

At some point, I'm hitting the "eject" button and (maybe) go contract and part time, nationally as in on the road and mobile. That being "about" age 60, if I can stand it that long...the money is huge*, though, to be frank and every minute I spend raking it in is that much more-comfortable I'll be.

*No, not doctor or captain-of-industry kind of money, but for IT: pretty good. Top 3% of all income earners, I do believe, per my accountant.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:15 PM

705 posts, read 560,413 times
The last company I worked for went out of business, this was back in 2001. Things were getting rough for jobs at that time. I did go on several interviews after sending in my resume. Anyway, The 1st lady showed me a huge stack of resumes she had gotten and the outer office was packed with people applying to the point that some were standing, I'm not kidding. She wanted me to see what I was up against. I was certainly the oldest, the rest looked to be fresh out of college. I still wonder why she even called me in because she told me right up front that any of them would accept less salary then I would and I said offer me something and we'll see. She said no, it would be an insult. Each time it was pretty much the same.

I spoke with people that had worked with me previously and they also had problems getting another job. One lady I was friends with had degrees out the wazoo finally took a job at a consignment store!
Another ended up selling her home and they bought a 5th wheel to travel to RV parks to work collecting the fees etc..because they could no longer afford their mortgage. One of the men I was friends with (he was 61) ended up killing himself because he couldn't find a job and felt hopeless. There was a lot of competition and the younger college grads got the jobs we applied for. I've always felt guilty because he invited me to lunch and I declined because i had an appointment, he killed himself a few days later. He was a great friend.

All that I kept in tough with that were older couldn't seem to find a job and if they did finally find work it was not a decent job. The younger men and ladies did get jobs. So, was it age discrimination? I'll never know for sure but another old friend that had been our HR employee told me it certainly was.

It was shortly after this that my health took a nose dive and I didn't bother looking for a job, I couldn't have worked if I'd wanted to.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:38 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,625,886 times
I'm back doing some part time work. For 4 years was the part time database manager at a non-profit. Upper management fired the director who hired me, and when the new team came in they wanted a full time person who was there as opposed to working from home when he felt like it.

So, they hired someone, we overlapped 3 months and I was done. My successor was an odd bird, but I didn't care, I didn't have to work with her. I was enjoying every minute of not working. For 3 and 1/2 years.

But got a call out the blue last summer. Met for lunch. Turns out Upper level management fired the director again. Now, all the employees who had been there for a while, says can we get rid of "x" and get Tom back? The odd bird drove everyone but the director crazy and once he was gone, they wanted her gone.

So, I signed on and about 6 weeks later I told them I was up to speed, and 1 day later they walked her to her car.... I'm training a replacement again. I'll probably be gone in 2 more months.

But, glad I don't have to look for a job at 67

Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,558,149 times
I think it depends on the field you are in and the age group of the hiring manager or business owner or whatnot. Some places lean toward we "older folk" because of our life experience or because of the age span of the other employees. I work part time for a florist and the owner is 67 and the office staff and designers are 50+, one being 80! All are part time, including me.

Another place I interviewed today has a very small staff with some being my age range-64-or older. "Wizened older" teachers and counselors are not uncommon as are ministers . I applied for this possible role because I felt comfortable aging and doing this type of work (mental health therapist in private practice).

When I worked retail in a grocery for awhile many of my peers were my age. They liked us old people. We showed up, worked hard, and stayed off our cell phones!

Old 01-19-2019, 05:26 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,073,024 times
There is a huge difference between looking for a job in your 70’s after not being employed for years vs continuing in a job you’ve been in for a long time. I too, could work until I drop. I have plenty of 70 year old co workers that are engineers. It is totally different when you are sought out, vs competing for a position. Btw, if one actually gets called in for an interview, then the possibility exists. I have been on plenty of interview panels looking at candidates. Some people just interview so poorly, or project anpoor attitude or chip on shoulder air, there is no reason to take a chance on them when there are plenty of other qualified candidates. But honestly, unless the job requires mobility, handicapped is not an issue. In our specific field, where safety is a huge concern, and a lot of work is performed where ladders, metal grates, stairs etc, are required, a cane is not allowed. But office positions, no problem at all, but there is no doubt that if an employer had a choice, all else equal, he would choose a non handicapped person. And the more generic the position, the more the competition. The longer one is out of work, the harder it is to find a position. The “there must be a reason” syndrome. And never interview with a beard.

Sometimes location is a self fulfilling prophecy. An area with high unemployment and lots of layoffs and closures makes it almost unfeasible to relocate, especially for a generic position, but also makes competition for the few positions intense.

Last edited by Perryinva; 01-19-2019 at 05:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement