Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 PM

6,607 posts, read 7,291,546 times

Advertisements

It can be humid in Fl, but on a lot of days the humidity where we use to live up north is higher. But for being outside the afternoons in the Summer might be inside in an air conditioned space.

Take a look at the daily temp and humidity charts.

Ocala has a nice breeze most of the time.

When you look at Florida the southern tip has different weather than the central part and the pan handle. Point is consider the actual spot in the state you move to and not the whole state in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 8,181 times
Default Moving from Oahu

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Jozee,

Let me get this straight: your husband is "vision impared", but wants to own/have/use a GUN???

I'M NOT judging, but i don't think those two go together well!!!
I dont want a perfect visioned person pointing a gun at me let alone someone who cant see well!!

You say you don't want snow, well even tge southern states get some ocassional snow, it just doesnt last long, but they shut everything down for the day.

So Arizona, south Florida would be your best bet. But Florida comes with humidity. I secobd tte motion for inland property as opposed to shorelines for hurricane considerations. I own a duplex inland outside Tampa. So far it has never been affected by hurricanes. ( knock wood).

Arizona is expensive, a house alone can outspend ypur budget, let alone acreage.

You say you live in a condo. I am assuming you are ratyer inexperienced at farming, i could be wrong. If you do have experience, please disregard this part.
So I would strongly suggest that you both find a farm that will allow you both to work on it in exchange for possible rental, to find out first if you both can actually handle a farm life. There are also farms that teach, but you might find them in the summer in northern territories to try out the farm life BEFORE you commit. Even try living on a commune would give you an idea of the work involved in farming.
Perhaps even there in Hawaii you might find such.
Theres a lot of YouTube videos to watch about farming and caring for Animals. Animals also require vet bills, and a lot of animal s can cost a small fortune. Even just a few chickens, a goat or two or a cow all have to remain healthy.

I sooo want to do that, but im physically handicapped, so i dont think it'll ever happen. Ive read up, watched up, and am not sure i could actually do it. Before i do, i will do just what i suggest to you. And i have plenty of farms around me to get experience at.

Having a casual garden is different than animals or a sustaining garden.

South Florida will allow for things like fruit trees, but they too, Require care for pests and fungus, etc.

Its a lofty idea, and I'm all for it if someone has the wherewithall to actually do it.

So plan carefully, and i second the motion to sell most everything, except maybe just ONE small container of your most treasured or needed items. I've looked into shipping costs to Hawai'i, as our first goal was to retire to Hawai'i, but we have nixed that idea duecto costs and will be content to just make frequent visits.
Medical is a priority of ours and Hawai'i seems a little thin on that, so i understand the need to be near the VA or other regular medical for him ( and you)

I would also suggest you try visiting the areas you might select for a good 2 or 3 months BEFORE planning to move there.
We selected a southern locale ( we dont lije Florida even though i inherited property there) and have researched, google earthed, and studied real estate for that area. But 2 other areas we might choose instead. So just picking a spot may not be all that is needed. We WILL go for a lobg term visit before we commit.

Best of luck.

Take care and may you find exactly what you need, not necessarily what you think you want.

I do sincerely hope you find your haven.

Relax, unless you plan on invading our home, you don't have to worry about getting shot.

I don't mind snow, I'd just rather avoid having to shovel and drive around on snow and ice.

I don't have farming experience and it will definitely be a learning experience. Yes, I watch YouTube for information. That part of the "wants" vs "needs" is flexible. We did have a family garden but my brother took care of it.

I have advocated for my husband's medical needs and am now advocating for a neighbor. We have the Veteran's Choice Program option and utilize it as the VA hospital/clinics can get bogged down. We kept our other health insurance so I have dual coverage right now. I have found that many doctor's don't take CHAMPVA so the dual coverage works well and any out of pocket expenses are usually reimbursed for me.

I've thought about getting an RV and checking out the areas. Our concern is the safety of the campgrounds/RV parks. Will have to research it more. I figure if we don't like it then we can just drive to another state.

Thank you for your response.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,049,746 times
Just something to think about - I've heard that many dogs don't do well moving from the mainland to Hawaii - my old Manager's son was in the Navy, and when he was transferred to Pearl, he brought his young German Shepard with (there are a lot of hoops to jump through to move a dog, it has to be quarantined, etc., I believe). Anyway, the dog did not acclimate well, and developed skin problems, and eventually died from some related reason. The owner was heartbroken.

Anyway, I wonder if the reverse is true, whether a dog from Hawaii would be prone to illnesses on the mainland? Something to ask your Vet about, and if they are unsure, to research. Good luck. Have you looked at Hot Springs, SD, or Powell, WY? Both have open land, cold winters but reasonable snowfall, are gun-friendly, are very tax-friendly, and Hot Springs has the VA hospital, supposedly very nice.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 PM

Default Moving preparations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our situation is very similar, retired, moving from Oahu to mainland, husband is a vet.

We chose Carson City/Genoa. Has what we are looking for, low taxes, gun friendly, 4 seasons, close to family (CA), we like the vibe and the people.

We are probably moving the end of this year, and I started selling stuff off last summer. There isn't much sense to move some stuff and we can just rebuy it. Selling all TVS and such, about half of the furniture, clothes, etc. I constantly have about 20 items on Craigslist, and will do flea markets starting next month. We sold one car.

We will probably put the house on the market in Oct. and most stuff will be sold by then. I'm a hobby photographer so will take pics before I sell everything so it looks nicer.

As soon as the house sells will gather all the medical records.

Our "problem" is 2 90 lb dogs that we need to ship, and we probably won't buy a house right away, we will probably get an RV.

But we can stay at my sisters... with the dogs too, and hotels in Carson are dog friendly. It's not going to be pretty... but it will get done.

Planning, planning, planning. I already have spreadsheets.

Yes, I am looking at the RV option too. We have two rescued/adopted dogs of which one is a senior. We also have husband's service dog. His dog gets to travel with us but I don't look forward to shipping the littles as cargo. I worry for my senior dog. He was traumatized half of his life.

We plan on tidying up and selling what we don't need. I guess that includes most of the furniture. That was the decision I made when I moved here. I just shipped my car and a few of my possessions.

Mahalo for your response.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Just something to think about - I've heard that many dogs don't do well moving from the mainland to Hawaii - my old Manager's son was in the Navy, and when he was transferred to Pearl, he brought his young German Shepard with (there are a lot of hoops to jump through to move a dog, it has to be quarantined, etc., I believe). Anyway, the dog did not acclimate well, and developed skin problems, and eventually died from some related reason. The owner was heartbroken.

Anyway, I wonder if the reverse is true, whether a dog from Hawaii would be prone to illnesses on the mainland? Something to ask your Vet about, and if they are unsure, to research. Good luck. Have you looked at Hot Springs, SD, or Powell, WY? Both have open land, cold winters but reasonable snowfall, are gun-friendly, are very tax-friendly, and Hot Springs has the VA hospital, supposedly very nice.
Sounds like the dog didn't adapt well and may have had an underlying problem. We have our dogs on a grain free diet now due to skin problems. Yes, there is a quarantine here as we don't have rabies. I will bring up the subject with our vet. When I mentioned it in the past she was confident that they would travel without a problem. My husband's service dog was bred in California and has travel experience. In fact, they will be returning to Palo Alto, CA for additional training in a few months.

I am using the property tax exemption as one of my primary items for the state search. If I was to consider moving to a northern state it would probably be New Hampshire as they have both the property tax exemption and no sales tax. I have family in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,228,871 times
We moved from Oahu to Montana. I grew up in Minnesota so winter was not an issue.

Moving with three dogs was "interesting" and it limits what planes and what routes you can fly. You truly "can't get there from here" for some destinations if you have animals flying with you. Check with the airline you are flying for specific crate requirements - they weren't "all the same" when we flew, and I bought, then returned and then bought a different set of kennels (the first ones were "airline approved" so we figured we were safe!). We actually had to fly into SLC, and bought a truck and drove to MT with the dogs, because getting to the little airports with commuter planes was a "no go" and SLC was closer to our property than our other option of Seattle.

What type of environment are you looking for? That matters as to wether a recommendation makes sense or not.

Wyoming is high desert/mountain, and Evanston is an hour away from SLC and a major Vet center with a fairly temperate climate. WY is a great state for low overall tax burden and affordability.

Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi gulf coast areas are all nice but humid. I love the Pensacola FL area and they have both military and VA facilities in the area.

A lot of my friends from the military ended up in the Carolinas (coastal cities) and love it.

As far as combining low taxes, access to a VA facility, affordable acreage near a reasonable sized town, with a moderate climate (but still has a winter), Spokane Washington area works.
We almost ended up in Newport WA just north of Spokane.

Just some thoughts to consider...

Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozee_808 View Post
Discriminate against disabled people much? My husband will decide which and how many of his weapons to take with us. He has fought for this country and the constitution and earned the right to have his weapons. By the way, visually impaired people adapt and overcome obstacles every day. At least he does. In rehab he learned woodworking and archery. I feel safe knowing we can protect ourselves and we carry appropriate insurance if we have to use said protection. Which is why I stated it should be a gun friendly state. He isn't about to walk around with a loaded weapon and shoot it randomly!

I stated that the humidity part would be a concession for me. I live in Hawaii and we have humidity. I realize we will never be in a better state than this for weather conditions.

My husband is not older than me, he is younger, so he may end up being my caretaker. I lived in New England prior to moving to Oahu.

Aloha!
This is hilarious.

Do you think it is LEGAL for a sight impaired person to carry guns?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,049,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is hilarious.
Do you think it is LEGAL for a sight impaired person to carry guns?
Nobody, I could imagine someone not being able to pass the driver's test, but fully competent to shoot at close range, as in a self-defense scenario. Or, using a scope may compensate enough for longer distance shooting. Not being a Doc, I'd have to defer to someone both familiar with the law as well as the individual's particular problem. As far as I know, there are no eye test requirements to be legally able to purchase and possess a firearm. But if it was shown that someone caused harm because they were unable to operate a firearm safely but did so anyway, I'm sure they would be open to civil and maybe criminal prosecution (start with reckless endangerment and go up from there).

Old 01-18-2019, 01:17 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,720,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our situation is very similar, retired, moving from Oahu to mainland, husband is a vet.

We chose Carson City/Genoa. Has what we are looking for, low taxes, gun friendly, 4 seasons, close to family (CA), we like the vibe and the people.

We are probably moving the end of this year, and I started selling stuff off last summer. There isn't much sense to move some stuff and we can just rebuy it. Selling all TVS and such, about half of the furniture, clothes, etc. I constantly have about 20 items on Craigslist, and will do flea markets starting next month. We sold one car.

We will probably put the house on the market in Oct. and most stuff will be sold by then. I'm a hobby photographer so will take pics before I sell everything so it looks nicer.

As soon as the house sells will gather all the medical records.

Our "problem" is 2 90 lb dogs that we need to ship, and we probably won't buy a house right away, we will probably get an RV.

But we can stay at my sisters... with the dogs too, and hotels in Carson are dog friendly. It's not going to be pretty... but it will get done.

Planning, planning, planning. I already have spreadsheets.
I can second her recommendation (since I live in Reno/Sparks).

The other place I would suggest is Prescott, AZ and vicinity.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:59 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,107,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Not discriminating against disabled persons. Not anti gun -Just trying to be sensible. Never knew that a visually impaired person could be a good shot. You will definitely have to compromise somewhat with your price range. Mississippi or West Virginia might have reasonable acreage. Like I said. Good Luck.
Didn't take long for the antigunners to show.

Neighbor of mine is "visually impared"
He was a pipeline welder. Cannot drive at night and it's a problem when it's overcast.

Can see to function (including shoot) just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement