U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 06:33 AM

2,447 posts, read 3,666,532 times

Advertisements

A Manager at work is retiring next week. Her husband retired last week. I have known the husband for over 15 years and he retired as VP of an Architectural-Engineering firm. Within the past two years they bought a home on an island in Lake Erie as a getaway spot from their work duties. (You can't be called in when the only means of transport is a water ferry that has 3 round trips per day, and I imagine high speed internet is not available).

In preparations for my coworker's retirement she is distributing fliers of the island and ferry schedules to everyone in the office. Telling all of us that we should plan to spend the night when we visit because the sunsets across the lake are breathtaking - and the ferry stops running in the late afternoon. Winter time access is via Piper Cub sized air ferry only.

I think they are worried they will lose contact with all their friends and associates after retirement because of their self chosen isolation. Something to consider for those who are thinking of retiring in a emote location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 AM

1,137 posts, read 570,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
A Manager at work is retiring next week. Her husband retired last week. I have known the husband for over 15 years and he retired as VP of an Architectural-Engineering firm. Within the past two years they bought a home on an island in Lake Erie as a getaway spot from their work duties. (You can't be called in when the only means of transport is a water ferry that has 3 round trips per day, and I imagine high speed internet is not available).

In preparations for my coworker's retirement she is distributing fliers of the island and ferry schedules to everyone in the office. Telling all of us that we should plan to spend the night when we visit because the sunsets across the lake are breathtaking - and the ferry stops running in the late afternoon. Winter time access is via Piper Cub sized air ferry only.

I think they are worried they will lose contact with all their friends and associates after retirement because of their self chosen isolation. Something to consider for those who are thinking of retiring in a emote location.
High speed is available everywhere via satellite. We get 17.1Mbps download, and were only out of it for 6 hours total last year. The only downside is metering; we have "low" cost, but only have 10GB of data between 8am to 2am the next day. Between 2am and 8am, downloads are all unlimited, which is why we get up early!

Old 01-20-2019, 10:32 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,264,708 times
This reminds me of the persistent questioning by co workers prior to my retirement--"What are your plans for retirement." As if I was simply going away for a few weeks, fishing, golfing, traveling, or just relaxing.
But, retirement is the entry point for a totally new and different lifestyle, it's not vacation, it's not family leave, it's not a break from work due to layoff, nor is it something you can really make long term plans for, beyond the usual financial decisions we all must make.

I've been retired ten years now and not one of those years was ever directed by anything but my daily whims. I saw others going to their favorite vacation places and buying homes, the weekdays were OK but the weekends meant a huge crowd in town, and the off season was too quiet and boring. I saw plenty of people who bought second homes in warm southern climes, thinking they would/could just fly away and relax in their getaway location only to find that it was a ton of prep work to go and and another ton of work awaiting them in the sunny locale. I saw plenty of folks who though they could golf/fish/travel all day for the rest of their lives, only to become bored and restless, great expectations can lead to an even greater disillusionment.

We all have our notions of what we should be doing at this point, but, for the most part, retirement is and always will be about your daily life, the usual stuff of household chores, family dynamics, local doings, hobbies, just puttering around, killing time, and enjoying that. The grandiose notions of retirement has mostly been a media concoction, the pictures of silver haired folks who appear to be in their thirties with a great hair-dye job, batting the tennis ball about, dancing in the moonlight, snorkeling on a south seas island, or tooling around in the convertible BMW, it's all one big party, but real life is never quite so exciting, and we all learn that soon enough when we stop working..

During those last few months on the job, being questioned as to my retirement "plans," my reply was always the same: "I'm going to get up, get dressed, and at the time I'd be going to work--I'll just have another cup of coffee, pull up a chair--and contemplate my good fortune."

Old 01-20-2019, 10:47 AM

3,451 posts, read 1,537,008 times
Agreed. I was proposed to by an helicopter pilot veteran who owned an island (40 acres) in Voyager's National Park in Canada, across from International Falls, MN. I went out there a few times, and yes, it was fantastic. For a weekend. Long boat trip, or his hovercraft. Talk about isolation, though there were a few island-owning neighbors. He planned to retire there for summers but nature-lover that I am, I couldn't see it.

I think he had sporadic coverage from Hughesnet, but when we contacted them for satellite internet in rural Utah, the "slot" available was not even enough to stream Netflix. So, no....

I wonder if anyone visited your manager after retirement, OP? Be interesting to know...

No one visits us down here, but we never expected it, either.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:49 PM

7,679 posts, read 4,719,031 times
I don’t think it matters where you retire, as long as you have the realistic view that very few people, friends OR family, are going to come visit.

I see these palatial “lodges” built three hours from the nearest airport and with a 90 minute drive into the nearest town. They’re huge. Loads of guest rooms. A two-lane bowling alley. Zip line. Archery. Nearby stream for fly casting. Home theater for twelve.

Then five years later it’s on the market because other people, even family, have lives. And the lodge sits empty because you have to travel if you want to see people.

It’s best to distinguish between reality and fantasy. I want to think that people will come visit us but the reality is that most likely no one will.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:28 PM
mlb

3,183 posts, read 2,857,897 times
We moved to another state. Ihave NO illusions and do not anticipate that I will be seeing any of my coworkers again.'

I moved closer to family - and while my sister has been here twice in a amonth.... I have not yet seen my nephew or his family. I also moved closer to older friends - and I also have no illusions they will be on my doorstep soon.

People are fickle. You just have to go about living your life and if they show up? Great. If not - no harm.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,658,241 times
LOL I guess we're the big exception here. Since we retired we've actually seen a lot more of co-workers and old friends than we did when we were living in the same town. Of course, it's mostly due to the fact that we moved to a tourist town that is just a few hours away, and it's also a handy stop for people driving from northern VA to the beach cities. I go over to Pierce's to meet up with old friends stopping by on their way to the beach all summer long.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
I would trust the manager is 'Availing' the opportunity to visit and enjoy what they have found, and in NO WAY is soliciting for 'company' / visitors.

We have always had nice / mtn / view homes in semi remote areas.

No company, no problem... just sad others are stuck in the suburbs or on a conference call.!

You REALLY enjoy your views when you retire and can stay home and enjoy them! Our weather changes several times / day. That can be exciting and pretty too!

Old 01-20-2019, 06:55 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,698,297 times
Smile Winter weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
LOL I guess we're the big exception here. Since we retired we've actually seen a lot more of co-workers and old friends than we did when we were living in the same town. Of course, it's mostly due to the fact that we moved to a tourist town that is just a few hours away, and it's also a handy stop for people driving from northern VA to the beach cities. I go over to Pierce's to meet up with old friends stopping by on their way to the beach all summer long.
Is Williamsburg mostly flat?

How is the winter weather and how cold does it get?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,658,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Is Williamsburg mostly flat?

How is the winter weather and how cold does it get?

Rolling hills for most of the community, especially the neighborhoods in the middle of the peninsula. My particular street is very hilly. The neighborhoods right along the James River tend to be fairly flat.

Winter weather is relatively mild, although we do get snow storms some years. We brought a snow shovel, and it's been used once or twice. However we left the snow blower behind us. I'm not sure about the coldest it can get here, but FWIW tonight feels like the coldest night of the year, and it's 32 degrees outside. First time we got down to freezing (even though we did have a snowstorm earlier in the year, but that was a freak storm in a lot of ways, including snowing while it was above freezing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or