Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times

Advertisements

Shingles and eczema can be helped by a shower and moisturizing lotion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:29 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I use irish spring soap and for about a year now I put moisturizing lotion all over after my shower. I began with the lotion after getting hit with shingles and then a case of eczema last winter. I guess I do have very dry skin and very thin skin for that matter. Well, spill your guts!

So you're the person who's using all the hot water in the afternoon.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have a bar of Lifebuoy that I bought in Mexico. I have not seen it in a store here in years.

I have been pleased with Yardley soap. It comes in different flavors.
I think I've seen both in the Vermont Country Store catalog in case you want to find some.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:59 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I can NOT wake up without a shower after the treadmill in the morning. I use Caress soap because Irish Spring seemed a little harsh. I have absolutely no idea why I'm telling you this.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Well. This is one of the strangest topics I've seen. But hey, I'll join in. I use Dove soap for my face and if I use anything else, my face feels dry and taut. I use body wash for the rest, I think it's Suave (inexpensive). At age 69 and retired, I don't feel the need to shower every day if I'm just staying home. My skin is dry and why dry it out further? When I do shower, I put my lotion on while I'm still wet -- I heard that's a good way of sealing in the moisture. And I only wash my hair once a week now. Oh and the shower time is right before I go out, be it in the morning before a doctor appointment or late afternoon if I'm going out to dinner.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:06 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Now that I'm retired I only shower once a week, and the rest of the days I do cat baths. And I only shave once a week now as well. I never thought the day would come when I looked upon taking a shower as work!

Old 01-20-2019, 04:26 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
The pond is froze for the winter so no bathing until spring for me.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:02 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I think I've seen both in the Vermont Country Store catalog in case you want to find some.
I've seen Yardley in the dollar store, for a dollar, and in the local supermarket for less. I can't figure out why anyone pays VCS prices anymore. Their whole business model of "Remember when you used to use XYZ and now you can't find it anymore? Well WE have it again!!" was OK before the internet, but now you can find any of their overpriced items for less elsewhere on the web.

Personally, I can't stand the smell of Irish Spring, I can see why it repels deer. Even Dial can be obnoxious. We opened a large multipack of Dial to hand out individual bars in the food shelf, and wound up having to put each bar in a ziploc bag because the smell was so horrible, and it was in a central location.

I'll use whatever doesn't have a strong smell. L'Occitane makes a very nice soap.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Shingles and eczema can be helped by a shower and moisturizing lotion?
Some cases of Eczema can. I have suffered from what I call Seasonal Eczema for years. Only in the cold winter months, usually on my legs and trunk. Moisturizing lotion keeps it under control until the weather warms in the Spring.

But Doctors may call my condition something other than eczema, even though my red scaly patches look identical to eczema photos.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:29 AM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
A daily hot shower with a chemical-filled soap like Irish Spring is would make skin dry out and make eczema even worse. It washes off all of the natural oils in the skin. Many others here have suggested a mild or all-natural soap. I like Kirk's Castile coconut oil bar soap, which is sold at Walmart for about $3. All natural ingredients, and coconut oil is a good cleaner and good skin conditioner.

Instead of daily showers, make it one every two or three days, and don't make it a long shower. Like others said here, no need to scrub the entire body head to toe every day. Let the natural skin oils stay on long enough to do their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement