Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:05 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times

Advertisements

No, thank-you, city living is not for us. We live in a rural area that is about 5 miles to the grocers, 10-20 miles for doctors and hospital and less than 10 miles to shopping. We don’t need the easy walk to a pub/dining business because we don’t enjoy drinking or dining out. The noise, bright lights are not attractive. Living in an apartment or on a city lot means too many neighbors close by. I did that as a college student, so no thank-you.

At our home, I can take a walk at night with our dogs up our long driveway to listen to the quiet and see stars. Occasionally I can hear an owl. And, it is safe. We can crank up the music and no one complains. I can’t seem neighbors from our home, only if I go outside and walk a few 100 feet can I see one.

As has been said, to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 06:27 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
No, thank-you, city living is not for us. We live in a rural area that is about 5 miles to the grocers, 10-20 miles for doctors and hospital and less than 10 miles to shopping. We don’t need the easy walk to a pub/dining business because we don’t enjoy drinking or dining out. The noise, bright lights are not attractive. Living in an apartment or on a city lot means too many neighbors close by. I did that as a college student, so no thank-you.

At our home, I can take a walk at night with our dogs up our long driveway to listen to the quiet and see stars. Occasionally I can hear an owl. And, it is safe. We can crank up the music and no one complains. I can’t seem neighbors from our home, only if I go outside and walk a few 100 feet can I see one.

As has been said, to each his own.
Given I had a 15 acre getaway, north of Minneapolis, for 10 years, on weekends, I was surprised by how noisy rural areas can be. Noise seems to travel a lot faster in rural areas. Being near a scenic waterway, popular with canoers, any number of them would camp out on an island near my house and play loud music. And then there were the target shooters I had for neighbors, practicing for the deer season, and the buzzing snowmobiles in winter and the dirt bikes in summer. Not to mention the sounds of the wild animals, sometimes fighting at night.

Sunday night I'd head back to Minneapolis to my 38th floor apartment where I couldn't even hear ambulance and police sirens, and this apartment tower had poured concrete walls between the units.

Quite ironic, I found more peace and quiet in the city!

I get scared to death when I'm dependent on an automobile, particularly in rural areas, like, what would happen, it was an emergency, and my car went on the blink?

Old 01-25-2019, 07:42 PM

53 posts, read 33,327 times
We both grew up in quiet suburbs near large cities, and we still prefer it that way. I recently retired, and DW plans to work for only a couple more years. We'll probably stay where we're at in retirement. The essentials are just a short drive away (2-5 miles), while the amenities of downtown or the coast are only 30 minutes away. We buy just about everything except groceries online. Having a large yard gives us space for privacy and our dogs.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:48 PM

703 posts, read 612,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Given I had a 15 acre getaway, north of Minneapolis, for 10 years, on weekends, I was surprised by how noisy rural areas can be. Noise seems to travel a lot faster in rural areas. Being near a scenic waterway, popular with canoers, any number of them would camp out on an island near my house and play loud music. And then there were the target shooters I had for neighbors, practicing for the deer season, and the buzzing snowmobiles in winter and the dirt bikes in summer. Not to mention the sounds of the wild animals, sometimes fighting at night.

Sunday night I'd head back to Minneapolis to my 38th floor apartment where I couldn't even hear ambulance and police sirens, and this apartment tower had poured concrete walls between the units.

I get scared to death when I'm dependent on an automobile, particularly in rural areas, like, what would happen, it was an emergency, and my car went on the blink?
One thing I noticed while living in a way out of the way rural area in upstate Minnesota was that people there think nothing of cranking up the sound systems. Could hear the BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! music for at least a mile. I guess because they are "out in the wilderness" nobody else can hear that stuff so they crank it up beyond all comprehension

I wish I could afford to live in an apartment with concrete walls!

Old 01-26-2019, 07:59 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

That's what AAA is for.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:04 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
One thing I noticed while living in a way out of the way rural area in upstate Minnesota was that people there think nothing of cranking up the sound systems. Could hear the BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! music for at least a mile. I guess because they are "out in the wilderness" nobody else can hear that stuff so they crank it up beyond all comprehension

I wish I could afford to live in an apartment with concrete walls!
Our music isn’t that loud as we don’t want to annoy the neighbors. It is only loud enough for me to hear while working outside closeby (the wonder of WiFi speakers). During the day, yes, there are lawnmowers, weed walkers, chainsaws, dogs, etc. so that is why I have music. At night, it is quiet as we are 500’ from a dead end road.

If I really want quiet, I go into our woods or by the creek which muffles the sound. We have a small in the woods if I really want some quiet and coolness on a hot day.

When I lived in apartments or housing for students, there was so much noise. One time a woman knocked on my door to ask for help as she had been attacked. Also, too many wild parties nearby which prevented from sleeping as I did shift work while attending school.

I dread the day we have to move to town because we can no longer maintain the home and land.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:56 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
My wife and I feel we get the best of both worlds. We step out back and feel we are in the middle of the country. We have a rather large wooden deck 25x35. As soon as you step out you see trees as far as the eyes can see. Nature is all around us we can hear cows in the distance. Squirrels run around morning and night giving my dog plenty of exercise. We get visits from raccoons and possums and armadillos. Coyotes have been seen as well. We have a large bird feeder just off our top railing that attracts quite an array of birds. We have a beautiful owl that has adopted us as well. Hawks fly all over our back yards just about every day. I still can't get over how large their wing span is. Nothing better then having a glass of wine at night, soaking in the Jacuzzi under the stars, while Alexa plays some blissful jon secada. When we leave the front door we have just about everything we need within 2 miles. From big box stores, restaurants and malls to dog parks. All the amenities of downtown Tampa are a quick 13 minute drive as well.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:53 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I grew up in a small town about an hour away from a large city, where my grandparents lived. When we would drive into the city to visit my grandparents, I always said to myself, "I want to live HERE."

For most of my life thus far, I have lived in suburbs of a large city. For me, a suburb is the worst of both worlds. My chief complaint about suburbs is having to drive everywhere you go. I have never been comfortable driving -- in my view, a robust public transportation system is the hallmark of a civilized society.

After my husband died, I sold my suburban home and moved into the city, and I am very, very happy that I did so. I'm just more comfortable when there are lots of people around, although as an introvert I don't feel compelled to interact with them. On the rare occasion that I find myself in a rural or wooded environment, I find it very creepy and frightening, and I can't wait to get back to urban life.

Isn't it wonderful that people have such different needs and preferences?

Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I grew up in a small town about an hour away from a large city, where my grandparents lived. When we would drive into the city to visit my grandparents, I always said to myself, "I want to live HERE."

For most of my life thus far, I have lived in suburbs of a large city. For me, a suburb is the worst of both worlds. My chief complaint about suburbs is having to drive everywhere you go. I have never been comfortable driving -- in my view, a robust public transportation system is the hallmark of a civilized society.

After my husband died, I sold my suburban home and moved into the city, and I am very, very happy that I did so. I'm just more comfortable when there are lots of people around, although as an introvert I don't feel compelled to interact with them. On the rare occasion that I find myself in a rural or wooded environment, I find it very creepy and frightening, and I can't wait to get back to urban life.

Isn't it wonderful that people have such different needs and preferences?
It is indeed wonderful. If everyone who lives in a large city moved to a rural setting, there would be few rural settings left.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:02 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
HAH! This is a really big country. There's more rural than you think out here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement