Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:55 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The problem is that we don’t get to decide what to purge. Hence, remembering trivial, long-buried stuff when something triggers the brain to retrieve it.

Ha ha ha yeah how come my brain periodically brings up idiotic jingles for stores that went bankrupt 50 years ago?
Why can I recall most of the stores in the mall I went to in the 1960s, but I can't recall if one of the stores I go to here is called Fresh Market or Farm Fresh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 05:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know. Every once in a while I think of a situation or person I haven't thought of in 30-40 years. My brain isn't doing a very good job of purging. That memory was tucked away somewhere for a very long time and then popped up. What's going on with that?
This happens to me (I am eighty-one), and I just consider it on the level of entertainment. I take a look, I enjoy or am at least curious, and then NOW reasserts itself and that little memory bubble vanishes.

I used to have the idea that a person's life was supposed to be a rational story, a looser version of a formal written biography. I dropped that idea several decades ago when I realized that my own life, at least, seemed more episodic, like loosely connected short stories perhaps. I also saw that within any of these past periods it was largely just a few big hunks of factual or emotional memory that remained; but I was aware too that I was not particularly bothered by this lack of detailed memory or instant recall.

I have a friend who works as a clinical psychologist, most of his patients have been described as "psychotic." And we have had several interesting discussions about memory and the sense self.

At this point I have forgotten the great mass of my life as far as being able to recall it on a normal daily basis, given a special occasion/need I can haul up a bit more. But I think what is at the bottom is that I do not care about the past in the sense of its having great emotional meaning for me now.

I could tell someone about particular past events which were horrendously painful at the time, but they are now just stories.

Perhaps one aspect about "forgetfulness" is the question of whether I/a person simply can't be bothered with remembering.

Galen Strawson has written several interesting books which deal with sense of self and memory.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:21 AM

244 posts, read 235,585 times
I have never had a very good memory except for trivia. I always say my ability to remember things is inversely proportionate on how useful the information is. The more useless and obscure it is, my mind is a steel trap. The up side is; I don’t dwell on the past, I am a pretty happy person and I don’t hold grudges.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I still remember a lot of stuff that my family as a whole don’t, some stuff are completely useless. Except, I do have some memory purge because I can’t recall a certain celebrity name, maybe I don’t follow them as closely, I don’t read a lot of magazines like I used to.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Ironically, one of the trademarks of advanced dementia is that folks tend to remember things that happened fifty years ago - like they were yesterday, yet, forget what happened yesterday.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:08 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
What's funny is when you forget something, and the fact that you can't remember something gets under your skin. So just because it annoys you, you waste a few hours racking your brain to remember it.

Then you suddenly remember it--and when you do you realize it was a stupid thing to remember, anyway.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:58 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Senior moments? Hate to be Debbie Downer but the article also stated:
This doesn’t excuse major memory mishaps. It’s a problem to draw a mental blank when making a presentation, forget to pick up a co-worker you promised a ride or offend a client by spacing out on a critical rule of etiquette. And of course, purposeful forgetting doesn’t include the kind of extensive memory loss that comes with dementia or similar health problems.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:43 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I have always had a great memory for trivial facts (no one will play against me in Trivial Pursuit anymore), and can even remember entire conversations from long ago, or at least the parts that really made an impression because of what was said. I'm the one everyone asks when they want to know something. I probably should have been named Alexa.

Okay, so all that being said, now I have started to look back on my life once in a while and realize that the crystal clear memories are interspersed with periods of months that I have no recollection of. I can remember the parts that were unique, and that stand out for some significant reason, but the mundane in between times have started to blur. It's sort of scary. I think that I've just accumulated too many memories and my brain is starting to thin them out. I hope it only deletes stuff that I don't need to know!

Having been through the dementia thing with my MIL, I know the warning signs and will be quick to jump on them if I or DH start to exhibit them. Supposedly there are meds that will slow down the process. We've got a long time before that kicks in I hope.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:14 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
What's funny is when you forget something, and the fact that you can't remember something gets under your skin. So just because it annoys you, you waste a few hours racking your brain to remember it.

Then you suddenly remember it--and when you do you realize it was a stupid thing to remember, anyway.
And WHY do we say "It started with a D..." We can remember the first letter but nothing else?
What's up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement