Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:27 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have access to WSJ, here's an interesting article to ponder.

In a nutshell, it cites a few studies about how "senior moments" actually help the brain process thoughts more efficiently, stimulates creativity, and ultimately helps you focus.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/forgive...=hp_lead_pos10

A few quotes to help stimulate conversation in this thread, for those of us who can't read the article:

"Forgetting can help us block out useless or outdated information and keep us from fixating on a single set of ideas or thoughts. And contrary to the notion that forgetfulness reflects a withering of brain cells, scientists say it can actually be driven by the growth of new neurons in the hippocampus, a brain region linked to memory."

"Still, forgetting can serve a purpose, enabling us to think more clearly by eliminating interference from competing thoughts. This pattern is called retrieval-induced forgetting. It’s directed in part by the prefrontal cortex, which controls executive functions involved in mental control and decision-making. It makes it easier to access memories that get used a lot, and more difficult to retrieve memories that compete with them, says Michael C. Anderson, a professor of cognitive neuroscience at the University of Cambridge in England and a leading researcher on the topic. He likens the process to search-engine optimization for the brain."

“Our memory systems didn’t evolve to be good at Trivial Pursuit or ‘Jeopardy!’ but to enable us to be smart about how we think and act,” says Blake Richards, assistant professor of neuroscience and machine learning at the University of Toronto"

"By clearing the mind of past patterns and practices, forgetting can make way for breakthrough thinking, says Benjamin Storm, an associate professor of psychology at the University of California, Santa Cruz"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Well, THAT's good news . . . if true!

Personally, although it is not really an issue for me (yet) -- I find my occasional "senior moments" to be just plain irritating!

Old 01-22-2019, 04:53 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Ummmm, you get more practice making “new” friends?

Old 01-22-2019, 06:07 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
ummmm, you get more practice making “new” friends?
Funny!

Old 01-22-2019, 08:33 PM

But seriously, your first (blue) quote implies that our brains must purge old memories to allow new ones that are constantly being made.

Ha, and here I’d been thinking it was laziness, y’know—not bothering to retain some things so that there would be “room” for more important stuff. Funny that my inclination might have a practical, neurological basis.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:49 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I don't know. Every once in a while I think of a situation or person I haven't thought of in 30-40 years. My brain isn't doing a very good job of purging. That memory was tucked away somewhere for a very long time and then popped up. What's going on with that?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
How to make the best of a bad situation...but, hello, if you don't know who you are, or where you live, etc., that's a major problem.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know. Every once in a while I think of a situation or person I haven't thought of in 30-40 years. My brain isn't doing a very good job of purging. That memory was tucked away somewhere for a very long time and then popped up. What's going on with that?
The problem is that we don’t get to decide what to purge. Hence, remembering trivial, long-buried stuff when something triggers the brain to retrieve it.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:06 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Maybe it was buried under a bunch of memories that have been purged.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:41 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Save a lot of money on books and movies. Just watch/read the same one over and over....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement