Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 04:07 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times

Advertisements

My parents both passed when I was in my 30`s and 40`s. I felt like an orphan. Now I see those in their 60`s, and 70`s, who`s parents are still alive. I am wondering if it makes you feel younger, if your parents are sill alive, when you are older.
It seems to me, that you are busy taking care of their needs, and you forget about your minor issues, such as aches and pains, and thinking about yourself being older. To me, it seems you feel younger, if your parents are still with you. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 04:31 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
To me, it seems you feel younger, if your parents are still with you. Your thoughts?
My wife's parents died 20 years ago when she was 42. (In fact, she lost both parents and her only sibling all within six months. Not a very good year for her.) I, on the other hand, still have both my parents, who are now 91 and 86. I don't think I feel any younger than my wife feels. In fact, even though we are both the same age, I think she feels younger than I do, but that could also be a result of all the medical issues I've been dealing with in the last 10-15 years.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
My father died when I was thirty, and I don't recall that this had any influence on how I perceived myself. My mother remarried and died when I was about sixty-one. We were totally estranged for the last thirteen years of her life, and certainly from my point of view I only endured her for several decades prior to that so that I could continue to have a relationship with her sister, who was a loving decent human being. Her death had zero impact on my perception of myself, i.e. my age, etc.

When her sister died, I really felt that I had been shoved into an unpleasant aspect of old age.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:57 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
I think, if anything, I felt "older" when I was taking care of my parents in their last years. It was exhausting and very wearing to be a caretaker. And so many hard decisions to make on behalf of a loved one. That will make you feel very old.

And in the same way, I probably felt a little "younger" after they died, since I had more time to do fun things, my time was once again my own, and I got a lot more sleep.

It was all worth it, though. I don't regret spending that time with them in their last years.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:29 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
My parents both passed when I was in my 30`s and 40`s. I felt like an orphan. Now I see those in their 60`s, and 70`s, who`s parents are still alive. I am wondering if it makes you feel younger, if your parents are sill alive, when you are older.
It seems to me, that you are busy taking care of their needs, and you forget about your minor issues, such as aches and pains, and thinking about yourself being older. To me, it seems you feel younger, if your parents are still with you. Your thoughts?
Maybe. I was 25 when my dad died and 40 for my mother. I did feel like an orphan after my mother died but it's been 15 years now so it's less acute. But I knew after my father died that it would be me to look after my mom - she was very sheltered and did badly after that so I kinda felt like the parent at times even though she was relatively young to be a widow.

I just find myself amazed when people in their 40's still talk about their GRANDparents and what they're doing! and people in their 60's talking about parents - it seems unreal to me...and yet they are shocked when they finally pass.

I don't think they have any idea what it's like to go through more than half your life with no parents and to have hardly no memories of grandparents - my "last" two grandparents died when 4 and 20 years old and I have absolutely no recollection of the other two.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:43 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
No it doesn’t make me feel younger. I wasn’t lucky enough to have nice parents and I have no relationship with them ,so alive or not has no impact on me.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:58 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I just find myself amazed when people in their 40's still talk about their GRANDparents and what they're doing! and people in their 60's talking about parents - it seems unreal to me...and yet they are shocked when they finally pass.

I don't think they have any idea what it's like to go through more than half your life with no parents and to have hardly no memories of grandparents - my "last" two grandparents died when 4 and 20 years old and I have absolutely no recollection of the other two.
Ditto here. I lost my Father at age 37 and my Mother at age 42. I was 22 when my last Grandparent died, the others died when I was around 6, 9 and 17.

Even though my MIL is still alive and kicking it still surprises me when my age equals at work talk about doing activities with their parents. Maybe because my parents passed early and my MIL is the kind of person my own mother would have described as being incapable of dying - Heaven won't let her in and the Devil is scared of her.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
You could have been born to a 20 year old parent or a 50 year old parent. 3/4 of my grandparents are still alive at 32. I wouldn't say it makes me feel younger, but it is fairly uncommon.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
OP, what do you mean you feel like an orphan? I lost my parents and I don't really see a difference. Life is life.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:16 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You could have been born to a 20 year old parent or a 50 year old parent. 3/4 of my grandparents are still alive at 32. I wouldn't say it makes me feel younger, but it is fairly uncommon.
Gee, I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement