U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
545 posts, read 1,800,822 times
Reputation: 209


Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Yeah, and you can hop a Tornado to get into the next town or cling to a tree branch waiting for the flood waters to take you there.
REPLY: Im afraid there are always risks no matter where you live in this Country of ours. Some are willing to be killed by a tornadoe whereby the chances of it happening to you, are extremely slim. , in favor of living ones life out in a much more favorable climate . That is certainly where im coming from regarding myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Location: Tucson AZ & Leipzig, Germany
2,380 posts, read 7,765,786 times
Reputation: 3580
I am guessing that most "fulltime" RV people set up a private mailbox in a state with no state income taxes like TX. This of course allows a person to declare themselves a resident of that state for vehicle registration, drivers license and tax purposes. There are clubs like the Escapees RV club that have mail forwarding service so that the fulltime RV person simply pays a monthly fee for mail forwarding from their one and only private mailbox. That way you never have to send in a "change of address" form which I know can be a real hassle for people who maintain a "winter" and "summer" home. Anyone have experience with these mail forwarding services? I suspect in this age where nearly every monthly bill or statement can be obtained via web login or email, there is less of a need for "snail mail" service, but in dealing with government agencies, there is often no alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Reputation: 23736
several of my friends do the 'remote' mailbox thing.

from WA state for those who want no income tax
From OR for those who want no sales tax (on their new RV) and cheap vehicle registration fees.

You should get this addy in a county that is exempt from Emission testing, that will save you some trouble and money. - once WA and OR become CARBed (in next few years) I'm not sure how that will work. WY might be the addy state of choice at that point. (no income tax, reasonable sales tax, good state for seniors)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top