U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 02:20 PM

897 posts, read 1,520,109 times

Advertisements

I am 64 and have always been listed as an organ donor. Upon my passing I want to donate my body to science. I have been informed if I go that route they can only "harvest" my retina, Science wants the rest of the body "complete". I'll be dead and gone but I want to do the "right thing". Which course is "righter", organ donor or body donor?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 02:37 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
I'm not sure there is a right answer.

Med students rely on a whole body to dissect, so they want it in tact. But great strides in "artificial bodies" have made some of that possible without a " live" ( dead) body.

Harvesting organs is what I've chosen to do. I've signed the organ donor on my driver's license so i can donate.
My OH is a little upset by that, and said the older i get and with my health problems they may not take mine, but if mine are better than the sickly, they'll do, I'm sure.

I watched a medical show where tgey havested a good set of organs from a cadaver, put them in one who stood a chance to be "normal", while his bad organs but " good enough" went to a very sickly/on the verge of death individual, so he could live longer while waiting for a good set to come through for him too. So. In effect one cadaver with one set of organs saved two lives, at least temporarily. I found it interesting... and told my other half that that might be me, a set of so-so organs might save two lives, or my organs might be "good enough ", or my organs may be "perfect".

I decided id rather help multiple people instead of one gross anatomy class. 1/2 a liver is ",good enough", so 1 liver can help 2 people. 2 eyes can help 2 people, etc.

So for many reasons, I've decided to be an organ donor.

But thats me, YOU have to do what you think is best.

Best to you in your decision, and congratulations on your thinking of your fellow mankind as you no longer need what you need after you're done needing it.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:48 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,566,050 times
For ethical reasons I personally have decided against organ donation. Or organ reception if the situation were to arise. My vote would go to helping out the med students.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:59 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,128,397 times
Depends on how valuable your organs might be when you die? Will you have cancer? They won't take them. Will you be so old your organs are all failing? Probably not good enough for anyone, who knows. I'd say organ donors would be good for younger folks, donating the body better for older folks. A friend of mine just passed last year at age 60 of pancreatic cancer. He donated his body.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:40 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,810,256 times
Years ago I Inquired about donating my body to science through medical schools in order to avoid costs associated with death.
My understanding back then was, transportation would have to be provided at my / others expense, don't know if that requirement has changed or not.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:56 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,810,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Years ago I Inquired about donating my body to science through medical schools in order to avoid costs associated with death.
My understanding back then was, transportation would have to be provided at my / others expense, don't know if that requirement has changed or not.
Just checked Duke U site, transportation is paid through your heirs...could be costly.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:14 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Quote:
Yep, this happened to DH & me too; the expenses associated with body donation made it a no-go for us even though we lived only about 30 miles from the medical school. We would have had to pay for embalming and a container as well as transportation. We understood but opted to sign an organ donation card and arrange for cremation instead.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Just checked Duke U site, transportation is paid through your heirs...could be costly.
Yikes (and also true!)

I did a 2500 mile 'corpse' transit... ~$200 total cost (and a LONG round trip). But the thousands of miles (time together) was 'healing' for me (After 32 yrs of elder care / verbal and physically very violent and distressing every moment) ... Road trip with deceased... = No-one to "Talk Back / argue / complain!" Hallelujah

I vote grant the organs... I am not interested in being 'on-display' in a formaldehyde display cabinet for the next 100yrs.

Seems either choice is a good choice (for you / others).

the rest of me... jam it in the woodstove and 'poof!' GONE.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 PM

2,066 posts, read 699,344 times
I've wrestled with this because I have 3 kidneys. (In our own way, we're all mutations- I just happen to know about mine.)

My first thought is that I'd have the whole class clustered around my corpse, which would be cool. There's a major medical school near me so at least the miles transported would be minimal. OTOH, organ donation would benefit more people and those who harvest my organs would be equally fascinated. Still not sure yet.

We looked into donating DH's body after he died but he had acute myeloid leukemia and was emaciated, which made it a no-go.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:08 PM

9,123 posts, read 2,994,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am 64 and have always been listed as an organ donor. Upon my passing I want to donate my body to science. I have been informed if I go that route they can only "harvest" my retina, Science wants the rest of the body "complete". I'll be dead and gone but I want to do the "right thing". Which course is "righter", organ donor or body donor?
I'd never put my name on a donor list or have myself designated as a donor on my driver's license. Why give someone a motive to benefit from my demise? If those doctors got a hold of me in a moment when I couldn't defend myself, I wouldn't want them to be able to go for my bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement