Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:59 PM

533 posts, read 481,987 times

Advertisements

I help take care of elderly relatives.

Recently I got Alexa, and my relatives are stoked! They like being about to make phone calls by saying, "Alexa, call Priya". And I set up intercom system so they can simply drop in and vice versa, i.e. "Alexa, drop in Kitchen"

Now, I am looking to get smart bulbs. One uncle (nearly 80) deals with lot of pain (Doctors can only do so much). How easy would it be if he can say, "Alexa, turn on light"

I wish to purchase one bulb at a time to test it out myself first. Amazon shows bulbs with hub, without hub, but I am not understanding the difference.

Can anyone guide me. Have any of you set up smart devices for Seasoned Citizens? Or maybe the Seasoned Citizens can shed some light (pun unintended).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 07:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
For a moment I thought smart bulbs are bulbs that will plant itself. Lol, I have garden on my brain. Btw, my daffodils are peaking, now that’s exciting.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:28 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
I help take care of elderly relatives.

Recently I got Alexa, and my relatives are stoked! They like being about to make phone calls by saying, "Alexa, call Priya". And I set up intercom system so they can simply drop in and vice versa, i.e. "Alexa, drop in Kitchen"

Now, I am looking to get smart bulbs. One uncle (nearly 80) deals with lot of pain (Doctors can only do so much). How easy would it be if he can say, "Alexa, turn on light"

I wish to purchase one bulb at a time to test it out myself first. Amazon shows bulbs with hub, without hub, but I am not understanding the difference.

Can anyone guide me. Have any of you set up smart devices for Seasoned Citizens? Or maybe the Seasoned Citizens can shed some light (pun unintended).
I bought my son a LIFX bulb, and he loves it. He uses his phone to schedule the off/on times, as he does not have any Alexa devices. After visiting him and seeing the light in his bedroom, I decided I wanted my own ( i much prefer cool lights rather than warm) so I bought two of the LIFX mini bulbs. They do not require a hub - they work directly with your phone app, and can hook up to Alexa. I have several lights in my home that are connected to smart-outlets, and I turn them, and my LIFX bulbs off, with my voice. It is very handy.

My sister bought the Philips HUE bulb, which requires a $60 hub, and was unable to get it set up. She finally gave up and bought an LIFX bulb, and she is quite happy with it.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
"seasoned citizen" - I like it! Sorry if I am making fun of language differences but seasoned sounds so much better than elderly!

Old 02-01-2019, 10:04 PM

35,074 posts, read 31,302,097 times
IMO, it's wonderful to see seniors exploring this type of tech on their own.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:03 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,376 times
I set my 90 year old parents up with an echo, and several light bulbs. No hub needed, echo has a built in hub. I do have a vague recollection that if you have a separate hub, other than echo, you can do more things with the bulbs, like change colors, but we didn’t need or want that. Echo’s built in hub coordinates with this bulb to turn off and on and to dim or brighten. Also got them a smart plug so they can order echo to turn the living room tower fan off and on. They get the weather, sports scores, and classical music. They have a fire tv, so can command echo to do a lot of tv functions. And as you said, it’s a great safety thing that all they have to do to telephone me or their assisted living staff is call out an order to make the call.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by upnorthretiree; 02-01-2019 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 03:58 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
can she talk dirty ?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:54 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
can she talk dirty ?
" come up and see me sometime big boy".

I love the "seasoned citizens" moniker too!!!

Im gonna start using it if the OP doesn't mind....

I wont have an alexa or anyting like it but i do admit that turning on/off lights would be nice.

But i have a solution for that. At Christmas time walmart and other sell a set of 3 remote controlled light device. You have a key chain like fob that will control 3 plug in lights via a plugin device you plug the lamps into. I have 3 set up in my bonus room, with my indoor garden of tropical and other plants. The 3 control 7 plant lights. I can turn on/off all the plant lights from my easy sofa out there. It was $19.99 i think, has 1 controller, and 3 plug devices. Ideally you plug in your outside or inside Christmas lights with it so you can turn them on/off from the central controller fob.
Its probably available on amazon, or something like it. Its not voice activated though. You have to push an on or off button. I bought mine 50% off just after Christmas.

Amazon has a Dewenwills outdoor indoor controller fir $29.99. I looked it up.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:55 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
We have internet capable bulbs in wide use at both places. In fact we have 22 total smart bulbs and outlets. Just looked at the Kasa App and counted them. Can turn them on off with the App. Can set them on timers to turn on at set times or on with a duration for how long to stay on. Great for security. Also the three HVAC systems have smart thermostats love them all.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:58 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
can she talk dirty ?
I have tried to seduce her and she is strong willed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement