Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 03:16 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times

Advertisements

I am somewhat at a loss here on this realID business. I just moved and need to update my DMV addresses. So I went to the NC DMV website and it says to first update my drivers license. So, I start to do that and get the info that I don't have realID so the new license will be starred and stamped "Not For Federal Identification". Thus I cannot use it to board a plane, among other things.

So maybe I can get a realID. There is a long list of documents you can use, most of which I will have a hard time finding and replacements might not be available.

For example, back in the 1970's I did obtain an actual birth certificate so I could get a passport since my "hospital birth record", what most of our parents were given in the 1940's, was not the same thing. It took several weeks and luckily the hospital still existed. The hospital isn't around today. But where is that little slip of paper now?

The passport issue was also complicated because my SS card and all my school records had a different name than the birth record. I used my step-fathers name when I entered school and for SS when I started to work. So I had to do an official name change to synchronize my birth certificate and the other documents. Then I got a passport with my current name. Too bad the passport has expired so it cannot be used for documentation. Now what? How do you recreate that whole train?

Then there are other things you need for the RealID such as government docs you received at your address. Hello? I am changing my address since I moved. Or you can use docs from banks, brokerage, etc. that you receive at your new mailing address? Hello? We do all that stuff online these days.

So frustrating. Plus we only get 60 days after moving to change the DMV address. Well, I only almost forgot about the DMV stuff since I moved nearby and as a single person moving has been slow. Now it has been 2 months since I got the new address so I am already "late" on the DMV requirements.

Choices? I guess I can just get the new driver's license with the "star" that takes away my freedom to ride on a plane to visit my family and makes me a second class citizen. Isn't that special, 70+ years old and I am now travel-restricted like in one of the old communist countries. It's a "catch 22". I could keep the outdated license and violate DMV rules, or meet DMV rules and not be able to fly.

I'm putting this on the retirement forum because some of you other retirees might find yourselves in a similar situation.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
When I moved I still had/have a valid passport. When I went to get the drivers license you could get the regular on or for Ten dollars more the on valid as ID for planes etc. I think I got the regular one as I had the passport. I could have gotten the other one with the passport as proof even though the passport does not have my current address on it.
Guess it makes a good point for keeping passport in force.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
I don't see the issue. NC requirements: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id...uirements.aspx

You essentially need a birth certificate or passport, SS card or tax form with full SS on it (W2, 1099), voter's registration, a utility bill, etc. These are common docs to have regardless of age.

Request a copy of your SS card if you don't have it. Request a copy of your birth certificate if you don't have it (https://vitalrecords.nc.gov/order.htm). You have a bill or a tax form.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:31 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I am somewhat at a loss here on this realID business. I just moved and need to update my DMV addresses. So I went to the NC DMV website and it says to first update my drivers license. So, I start to do that and get the info that I don't have realID so the new license will be starred and stamped "Not For Federal Identification". Thus I cannot use it to board a plane, among other things.

So maybe I can get a realID. There is a long list of documents you can use, most of which I will have a hard time finding and replacements might not be available.

For example, back in the 1970's I did obtain an actual birth certificate so I could get a passport since my "hospital birth record", what most of our parents were given in the 1940's, was not the same thing. It took several weeks and luckily the hospital still existed. The hospital isn't around today. But where is that little slip of paper now?

The passport issue was also complicated because my SS card and all my school records had a different name than the birth record. I used my step-fathers name when I entered school and for SS when I started to work. So I had to do an official name change to synchronize my birth certificate and the other documents. Then I got a passport with my current name. Too bad the passport has expired so it cannot be used for documentation. Now what? How do you recreate that whole train?

Then there are other things you need for the RealID such as government docs you received at your address. Hello? I am changing my address since I moved. Or you can use docs from banks, brokerage, etc. that you receive at your new mailing address? Hello? We do all that stuff online these days.

So frustrating. Plus we only get 60 days after moving to change the DMV address. Well, I only almost forgot about the DMV stuff since I moved nearby and as a single person moving has been slow. Now it has been 2 months since I got the new address so I am already "late" on the DMV requirements.

Choices? I guess I can just get the new driver's license with the "star" that takes away my freedom to ride on a plane to visit my family and makes me a second class citizen. Isn't that special, 70+ years old and I am now travel-restricted like in one of the old communist countries. It's a "catch 22". I could keep the outdated license and violate DMV rules, or meet DMV rules and not be able to fly.

I'm putting this on the retirement forum because some of you other retirees might find yourselves in a similar situation.

What would you do?
I would get the realID. I just went through this awhile back.

I got a birth certificate online through the city clerk in the city I was born in. All I had to provide for ID was a photo of my current drivers license, emailed, to the city clerk. It looked like you could get birth certificates from any state.

For my SSN number, I provided a w-2 from 2002. The address was not my current one, but it didn’t seem to matter.

For proof of residence, I used power and water bills, which had my name and address.

They did require a thumb print twice during the visit to the office. Then a new photo. I figured I’d have trouble with the SSN card missing, but the w-2 was fine.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
I sympathize with you. We were “lucky” to discover how inadequate the DL from one state where we lived less than 4 yrs was. It was a noncompliant state, and we moved BACK to the same compliant state where we had lived previously for decades.

The DL office actually had my old file on record, yet I still needed to get a NEW birth certificate from my birth state, issued ONLY by state or county there. My original certificate (hand-signed and stamped with the seal of the issuing city) was considered not acceptable.

Yet most east coast cities issued birth certificates back then! So every person born where such certificates are not issued by the county or state have to buy a newly reissued one. Crazy.

Also, the noncompliant DL was deficient for another reason: It did not include my full first, middle, and last names, only a middle initial.

To prove I was who I was and that I had a legal right to live in the US where I was born and lived my whole life, I had to bring several documents. Soooo, birth certificate was rejected due to being issued by the city of birth. The office also rejected my ancient original SS card because I had enclosed it in a thin laminate when I was 18 years old. Even though it was completely legible, I could not use that. The whole thing depended on my finding ONE small, fragile piece of paper that I had kept for some reason: a single W2 form. In the previous move, I had thrown away a lot of such old papers. By pure luck, I had exactly the one item I needed to complete their requirements. I honestly don’t know what I could have done if I didn’t have that; I had the other docs required but they alone would not have sufficed. Yet this state still had my record on file from when I was living—fully legally—there for so many years.

You’re right. The new hoops to jump through will be especially difficult for older people, since after retirement we may well have purged all the old work-related papers. Sheesh.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:58 PM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Renew your passport & then you won't need real id

Old 02-02-2019, 04:09 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Before my mother died (back in the 80s), we were trying to get her a passport - she had no birth certificate, her parents and grandparents were dead. Her family moved around quite a bit and she couldn't remember where she'd gone to school (and her parents pulled her out of school in 6th or 7th grade to work, because education was only important for her younger brothers). We'd actually gone as far as contacting her congressional representative who was working on getting one for her anyway when my mother's cancer reoccurred and she died.

Also, for women who change their name when they marry, it can be a hassle getting documents to all align. Pretty sure my social security card still has my birth last name on it, while everything else (passport, driver's license) has my married name.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 02-02-2019, 04:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Before my mother died (back in the 80s), we were trying to get her a passport - she had no birth certificate, her parents and grandparents were dead. Her family moved around quite a bit and she couldn't remember where she'd gone to school (and her parents pulled her out of school in 6th or 7th grade to work, because education was only important for her younger brothers). We'd actually gone as far as contacting her congressional representative who was working on getting one for her anyway when my mother's cancer reoccurred and she died.

Also, for women who change their name when they marry, it can be a hassle getting documents to all align. Pretty sure my social security card still has my birth last name on it, while everything else (passport, driver's license) has my married name.
Aren't birth records managed by the state? Isn't it prudent to change the name on your important documents when one gets married?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:41 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times

You were supposed to keep all those records in a safe place. Now you will have to get new ones... it's a hassle.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:47 PM

413 posts, read 701,445 times
My mom couldn't get hers because she didn't bring a document with her social security number. I had checked the NC online site and it said she could use her medicare card (which still had SSN at the time), but when we got there they said that was not acceptable. So we got one that says not a Federal ID. Maybe next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement