Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:33 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,428,250 times

Advertisements

Jay F....

I made a list of ideals to find for retirement locale. Good weather ( no real winter, tired of CNY winters.) Low COL , retiree friendly, etc.

I also vhecked out the "ultimate flood map" if all the ice melted and oceans rose, and found an area mentioned as safe from that possible eventuality.

I settled on a southern area, about a long days drive or 2 days at the most, NOT IN FLORIDA (we HATE Florida), and googled property, taxes, transient costs to relocate, google earth'd near every street, googled the stores we primarily shop at, or competitors, branches, subsidiaries, etc. And hospitals health care, and the size we want close to but not part of larger cities nearby.

Found everything i was looking for. The only thing is to be boots on the ground to buy a property there.

But, 2 other areas came to light as possible too. One decided it really was too expensive , the other as promising.

We are "stuck " here due to we take it seriously that we should look after our fathers, ages 91 and 85 this year. Once at least one passes, we will make the move to go check out these 2 areas boots on the ground.

Im not shy about moving to where i know no one, ive moved to a complete new state knowing not a soul twice in my life, and when i moved back here ('home'), i realoy didnt know anyone as all old friends were gone or bad influences and dropped. So THAT is not a worry for me/us as my OH did the same years ago. Making new good friends is always fun.

So, make a list, start looking at states for that list, then start looking for towns/cities there that fit your criteria.

Best of luck in finding *your spot*...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 06:03 PM

15,972 posts, read 10,531,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post

For me, my number one priority now is wanting a place no matter where I end up, that is quiet and peaceful. I am very much an introvert, and need a home that is very quiet and tranquil.

I saw New Mexico mentioned, and for whatever reason it has been on my radar for awhile. I always read of how impoverished it is, crime issues, waaaaay too much $$$ to live near the "good" areas, weird unfriendly vibe, poor medical facilities, ect. Also read of what a great place it is, the rich history, very pretty areas...
I posted about NM.
Like any place, there are pros and cons but the folks who consistently complain probably don't belong here and would likely be unhappy anywhere. This is a huge state of two million people with 23 Indian reservations and some differences and diversity of thought on what poverty is. By Federal standards there is a good deal of poverty. Crime is usually opportunistic or the result of poor choices of friends or lifestyle...choose wisely. NM is the most family oriented place I have ever experienced but, in many cases, it is extended families and some might think that is a "weird unfriendly vibe" if you are not part of it. Medical care is not bad in the cities by my experience and I just had major surgery with better care than I had elsewhere. I don't get the $$$ point unless you want to live in Santa Fe or some similar costly place in ABQ. My experience was that it was too costly to build a custom house on unimproved land so I found an existing house on 1+ acre at a reasonable price. The peace and quiet is deafening. I have more visits from wildlife than people and only one adjacent neighbor. I'm about 15 miles north of downtown Albuquerque and do most of my business in Bernalillo (c.1692). The state is not for everyone (thank goodness) but nearly perfect if it "fits" what you are looking for.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:43 PM

203 posts, read 150,884 times
Quote:
Thought I would add more, as it relates to finances. Yes, 52 and retired, not on disability... And yes, it is very nice having been so since I was 46. I invested by myself via low cost mutual funds/REITS, low cost brokerage, saved from a very early age, invested any windfall, lived very far under my means, was/am very self-sufficient, and always valued time over chasing $$$ or material crap. Could not have done it having anyone/advisor charging 1-2% AUM (Assets Under Management), where IMO this will become even less doable in the future. I like to volunteer my time helping non-profits with their 403b implementation, and helping individual investors reach their financial goals, learn to budget, coach them toward dropping the whole more toys/keeping up with the Joneses guilt trip BS. Not to seem smug, humble braggy, or uncaring toward others who truly struggle, but I would have never thought money would be the least of my worries, rather managing what seems too much freedom of choice in my retirement is.
I am sorry, things still aren't adding up.
Unless you are a 20 year former military/federal on a good pension or have been making upper 6 figures and saving like you are describing, the retirement at 52 is impossible. The sheer cost of medical insurance and out of pocket medical is astronomical. To live frugally you need about 3000 a month. You'll have mortgage/rent to pay, utilities, medical care, food, gas, necessities and taxes to pay. No investment at your age will guarantee that.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 PM

645 posts, read 1,523,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I posted about NM.
Like any place, there are pros and cons but the folks who consistently complain probably don't belong here and would likely be unhappy anywhere. This is a huge state of two million people with 23 Indian reservations and some differences and diversity of thought on what poverty is. By Federal standards there is a good deal of poverty. Crime is usually opportunistic or the result of poor choices of friends or lifestyle...choose wisely. NM is the most family oriented place I have ever experienced but, in many cases, it is extended families and some might think that is a "weird unfriendly vibe" if you are not part of it. Medical care is not bad in the cities by my experience and I just had major surgery with better care than I had elsewhere. I don't get the $$$ point unless you want to live in Santa Fe or some similar costly place in ABQ. My experience was that it was too costly to build a custom house on unimproved land so I found an existing house on 1+ acre at a reasonable price. The peace and quiet is deafening. I have more visits from wildlife than people and only one adjacent neighbor. I'm about 15 miles north of downtown Albuquerque and do most of my business in Bernalillo (c.1692). The state is not for everyone (thank goodness) but nearly perfect if it "fits" what you are looking for.
I remember your post SunGrins, and thanks for continuing the topic of NM. I like the diversity you mention, and especially as it concerns Native Americans. They are a fascination of mine, and I enjoy being a part of their ceremonies in my neck of the woods. Knew a few when I lived in UT, and always enjoyed their calm demeanor, stories, and dignity. I love hearing about the food, and from what I have learned, 'Mexican' food has its own twist and style in NM... sign me up! I wish recreational cannabis were legal, and I'm surprised it is not already... Wonder if it is in the works?

You mention the stars and "deafening' quiet. Both I miss from living out west. Folks who have never seen a truly clear, jet black sky above the tree line, truly have missed out on something words fail to deliver on. I too miss a quiet so profound it actually makes your ears ring, and you don't realize just how loud your heartbeat is standing still. As for money, I guess from what I have seen, home prices seem high, but I know all is relative. Curious, did you rent for awhile in NM before buying, or did you buy and move right in? I hate the idea of renting again, but know it is probably best, when considering a new area. Thanks again.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think Montrose and Moab are good ideas. When I read your post I kept thinking Oregon might be a choice.
Thanks, any particular areas in OR you might suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Jay F....

I made a list of ideals to find for retirement locale. Good weather ( no real winter, tired of CNY winters.) Low COL , retiree friendly, etc.

I also vhecked out the "ultimate flood map" if all the ice melted and oceans rose, and found an area mentioned as safe from that possible eventuality.

I settled on a southern area, about a long days drive or 2 days at the most, NOT IN FLORIDA (we HATE Florida), and googled property, taxes, transient costs to relocate, google earth'd near every street, googled the stores we primarily shop at, or competitors, branches, subsidiaries, etc. And hospitals health care, and the size we want close to but not part of larger cities nearby.

Found everything i was looking for. The only thing is to be boots on the ground to buy a property there.

But, 2 other areas came to light as possible too. One decided it really was too expensive , the other as promising.

We are "stuck " here due to we take it seriously that we should look after our fathers, ages 91 and 85 this year. Once at least one passes, we will make the move to go check out these 2 areas boots on the ground.

Im not shy about moving to where i know no one, ive moved to a complete new state knowing not a soul twice in my life, and when i moved back here ('home'), i realoy didnt know anyone as all old friends were gone or bad influences and dropped. So THAT is not a worry for me/us as my OH did the same years ago. Making new good friends is always fun.

So, make a list, start looking at states for that list, then start looking for towns/cities there that fit your criteria.

Best of luck in finding *your spot*...

Thanks Galaxyhi, for your insight, and tips. Good luck with you too.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,572,884 times
Have you thought about becoming a snowbird and maintain 2 residences? That's what I want to do. I'm in the Phoenix area and I hope to get a condo in a cooler summer climate like Colorado Springs, or if I'm feeling funky maybe Manitou Springs.

Or, how about St. George, Utah? Lots of retiree's there and a quick drive to Las Vegas should you need better medical care or a bigger city vibe.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM

24,509 posts, read 17,967,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Unless you are a 20 year former military/federal on a good pension or have been making upper 6 figures and saving like you are describing, the retirement at 52 is impossible. The sheer cost of medical insurance and out of pocket medical is astronomical. To live frugally you need about 3000 a month. You'll have mortgage/rent to pay, utilities, medical care, food, gas, necessities and taxes to pay. No investment at your age will guarantee that.

The OP said he retired at 46 and is 52 now. This simply doesn't pass the sniff test. The locations the OP has written about aren't mid-6 figure income or "hit it big in a tech company" locations. 20 year former military doesn't need ACA. They moved a number of times so it's not 25 years of generous state/local pension with some kind of accelerator and that would have come with a health insurance deal, too. I see no point in participating in a troll thread.

I'd add that if you own a low home ownership cost house outright, you could probably retire on less than your $36K income.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Well, all I can tell you is the magic of compounding is very real, and our ideas of frugality seem to diverge. Even with horrible ACA insurance which was much less when I retired at 46, rent payment, and the rest you mention is way less than $3000 a month for me... Even when considering Fed/state taxes by virtue of how my investments are structured. There have been many self made millionaires who worked rather modest jobs, retiring with multi-million dollar portfolios. Many too if you go to sites like mrmoneymustache, are millionaires way before 40, doing jobs paying way less than 6 figures. It's all about delayed gratification, self-sufficiency and discipline, living way under your means, and low cost investing as much $$$ as you can with a plan, and sticking to it. hardly impossible at all.

I surely don't expect any guarantees, have done the best I know how, don't allow lifestyle creep as I progress in retirement and wealth, and financially everything looks fine, full steam ahead.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The OP said he retired at 46 and is 52 now. This simply doesn't pass the sniff test. The locations the OP has written about aren't mid-6 figure income or "hit it big in a tech company" locations. 20 year former military doesn't need ACA. They moved a number of times so it's not 25 years of generous state/local pension with some kind of accelerator and that would have come with a health insurance deal, too. I see no point in participating in a troll thread.

I'd add that if you own a low home ownership cost house outright, you could probably retire on less than your $36K income.
Well then GeoffD, I'd appreciate that you not participate, and certainly not call me a troll/liar.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 PM

15,972 posts, read 10,531,630 times
Quote:
....'Mexican' food has its own twist and style in NM... sign me up! I wish recreational cannabis were legal, and I'm surprised it is not already... Wonder if it is in the works?
Yes...The New Mexican 'cuisine' is quite different from Mexican and Tex-Mex and I love green chile but usually get it on the side. Same with red. It can be a crutch for mediocre cooking. Each year's harvest is a little different so there is some anticipation when the crop comes in. The smell of roasting chiles is one of the highlights of the changing seasons.

Medical marijuana is legal and widely used in many forms. I suspect that recreational cannabis will be made legal under the current Governor. I don't think there's much opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement