Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:38 PM

197 posts, read 208,793 times

Advertisements

I am winding up a year-long project of organizing and pruning all of our photos. The finished product is a collection of "old-school" photo albums--the kind with wide pages, stick-on photo corners, and handwritten labels and dates.

I had put off the project for a long time. The photos were of all kinds: slides dating from the early '70s that had to be culled, with the best made into prints. Boxes of photos (fortunately well-identified and dated). And since the digital revolution, lots and lots and lots of photos stored on "the cloud." The problem with the latter is that it is just so easy to take zillions of photos and *worry* about going thru the later. Much later!

Anyway, I'm very happy with the results. And I've thrown away tons of slides and photos that don't have any earthly reason to be stored any more! But, you know what I've just read online? A top ten style list of things your kids don't want, once you're gone. Besides your old china and furniture, they apparently don't want your old photo collection either! It figures! But my wife and I love to leaf thru the pages. So many memories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 08:22 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I want to start working on my "big" dollhouse and get a place where I have enough room to set it up and spread out my miniatures, so I can see them and not have to go digging through a closet and open boxes to get to them.

I also want to get a dog and start doing obedience classes again.

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is having a place to walk around so I can start dropping some weight and start feeling good again. Once my back feels better (if it ever will), I want to take my telescope out and start using that again.

Of course, I'm looking at a couple years before I can do any of this (except for the walking), but one thing I can do right away when I move that I've been looking forward to is getting a garden started and maybe putting up some bird feeders to do some wildlife observing. I had to leave my raccoons in 2012 and I still miss seeing them.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:28 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Planning a Route 66 road trip for this summer, maybe down to Yuma for some dental work.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 PM

48,517 posts, read 34,807,002 times
1) planning our move, selling stuff
2) arranging a few small trips to neighbor islands
3) researching 5th wheels and trucks
4) enjoying on line classes
5) researching parks and travel destinations on the West coast
6) improving my photography and cooking (see above classes)
7) finished a huge crochet blanket for my sis (the one whose house burnt down), and partly done with one requested by mom
8) looking at the possibility of starting a youtube channel if we go full time RV
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Actively working on learning Latin. Using the Vulgate side-by-side with a literal translation, (or if you will, "verbum pro verbo"), to figure out stuff. It's mind boggling how many Latin words are cognates of English words, (well, actually I guess it's the other way around). Once I learn the complex Latin word tenses, and a bunch of prepositions and articles, reading and understanding Latin will be somewhat possible.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
What a busy bunch you are!

I've been making my own jewelry for a couple of years now and still have a lot to learn. It's probably time to take some classes.

I'm occasionally trying to learn what all the Alexa my son gave me for Mother's Day can do. Mostly she irritates me.

My cooking list for this fall and winter has been making some old favorites that require time and effort I haven't been willing to expend until lately and the family has enjoyed that. I continue with my Bucket List of classic desserts I've never made. Today I baked and froze heart-shaped cookies for Valentine's Day.

My Mexican vacation is late this year and shorter than usual - three weeks in March. But I haven't stopped that from allowing myself to get excited and starting to prepare. I am also going to have tourist dental work this year and will be glad to get it done. Better yet, DH is going along for a week this year and it will be fun to have him along.

That first week walking so much and in hot weather can be a challenge so in preparation I've upped my daily exercise program.

Also ordered a few books I've been wanting to read and am very excited about that. I scarcely read at all any more except on the beach.

I'm sewing myself a pretty white French terry beach robe with black and gold crochet around the neck.

And a silly thing - I'm experimenting with trying to decorate my fingernails myself. I just got something designed to swirl colors like tie-dye and am anxious to see how it works.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:45 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
I’m working on a large textile art piece for exhibit later this year.
Will be traveling overseas to two countries later this year.
Other than that continuing to explore our new state and doing lots of hiking every week

Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Driving to and around Alaska for a summer, spending a winter in the snow belt of Maine, getting the mall roller Land Cruiser modified to take on challenging off-road travels, and getting my spouse well enough to share some of these dreams with me.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
I am writing an app (almost done with it) for analyzing a retirement portfolio and using that to make decisions on how much you can spend, when to take social security, how to allocate assets, etc.

I wrote another app for solving Sudoku puzzles using only algorithms, not brute force. That was challenging but it works pretty well. Solves the hardest puzzles I can find. Also works as a "hint" tool, where it won't solve the puzzle but will give me some hints on what to look for so I can solve it.

I have been learning tiki-totem carving. Just finished my first one and have started another.

I am going to Africa in May. Rented a 4x4 camper and will drive it 1000 miles across Africa, camping and visiting 5 different game preserves.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I was really enjoying doing upholstery projects until I broke my arm and shattered my wrist. There is another class this month but I'm not quite ready to do it yet. It's really hard work. Maybe next September. I have a ton of projects and half a hide for the office chair just sitting there waiting. I bought it two days before the accident. I really want to start a powder room remodel as soon as the weather breaks. It's going to be a busy summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement