Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:58 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

There didn't seem to be a good forum for this except maybe personal finance but I thought here might be better.

My mom passed in 2015. My sister is the executor. Not sure what she has done honestly.

My parents had all 4 of house on the house at the township.
My sister was just renewing the insurance under my mothers name. But then she let it lapse.
Sine I recently moved into the house I tried renewing the insurance (and found out about the lapse!) but they said they couldn't
since I wasn't on the....deed? Or something. But they could do if I had car insurance with them which I didn't.
So I went to USAA since that is where my car insurance is. There automated online program immediately pulled me and my sisters up as owners of the address and I got the house insured.

My question is. My parents are still on the records at the township along with me and my sister.
Is this a notification of to the township issue? Or a probate thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 AM

106,639 posts, read 108,790,719 times
states may vary

Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
The insurance is a side issue. The estate must have ownership clear so the property can be managed / sold. This is a probate / executor issue, not a government issue.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:30 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
Just wondering why the estate isn’t settled and closed and dispersed after four years unless there is a property that needs to be sold. I do understand holding on to a home equally for siblings use, but the deceased should be off the title.

I hope that it is resolved for you soon.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:50 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Four years is a bit long but not excessively so, especially if there is a large family involved. Even if the others are not "heirs", each one usually needs to be contacted and to execute a form saying that they will not make any future claim against the estate, yadda yadda yadda.

All it takes is a couple of relatives who can't be located or who don't bother or keep forgetting to respond to the paperwork request, to drag things out.

In 2002 I was executrix for what should have been a very simple estate (just the spouse and one child, no other relatives, but three pieces of real estate owned) and it still took almost three years to settle, in spite of the fact that all the properties were sold at the beginning of year two. Part of the delay was backlog in the Court that handles probate here.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My question is. My parents are still on the records at the township along with me and my sister. Is this a notification of to the township issue? Or a probate thing?
It's most likely a notification issue. If your area is like ours, there is zero direct connection between the court system and the local township.

You'd probably need to bring in copies of your parents' death certificates, probate papers, and the revised deed showing that you and your sister are now the sole owners of the house (or that your parents' estate is, for example it could read "Estate of John Jones and Mary Jones" if your sister wants to do it that way for tax purposes.)

Be aware that if your parents were getting any kind of property tax reduction because of their age or if your dad was a veteran, when the town's record is changed to eliminate them as owners those perks will go away and the next property tax bill will reflect that.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:41 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,519 times
You say your sister is executrix and you don't know what she has done, well I suggest you ask her and find out what exactly she has done, if anything. There is a chance she has done nothing.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:48 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The insurance is a side issue. The estate must have ownership clear so the property can be managed / sold. This is a probate / executor issue, not a government issue.
Why I was asking the question. Not helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Just wondering why the estate isn’t settled and closed and dispersed after four years unless there is a property that needs to be sold. I do understand holding on to a home equally for siblings use, but the deceased should be off the title.

I hope that it is resolved for you soon.
Not helpful. No one is going to resolve it but me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Four years is a bit long but not excessively so, especially if there is a large family involved. Even if the others are not "heirs", each one usually needs to be contacted and to execute a form saying that they will not make any future claim against the estate, yadda yadda yadda.

All it takes is a couple of relatives who can't be located or who don't bother or keep forgetting to respond to the paperwork request, to drag things out.

In 2002 I was executrix for what should have been a very simple estate (just the spouse and one child, no other relatives, but three pieces of real estate owned) and it still took almost three years to settle, in spite of the fact that all the properties were sold at the beginning of year two. Part of the delay was backlog in the Court that handles probate here.
Nothing to do with my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
It's most likely a notification issue. If your area is like ours, there is zero direct connection between the court system and the local township.

You'd probably need to bring in copies of your parents' death certificates, probate papers, and the revised deed showing that you and your sister are now the sole owners of the house (or that your parents' estate is, for example it could read "Estate of John Jones and Mary Jones" if your sister wants to do it that way for tax purposes.)

Be aware that if your parents were getting any kind of property tax reduction because of their age or if your dad was a veteran, when the town's record is changed to eliminate them as owners those perks will go away and the next property tax bill will reflect that.
So what are "probate papers"? What revised deed? No one has revised a deed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
You say your sister is executrix and you don't know what she has done, well I suggest you ask her and find out what exactly she has done, if anything. There is a chance she has done nothing.
Ah, stating the obvious.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:56 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
I think people are trying to help you. You are resisting saying “not helpful”. Go ask your sister what is going on. This is all on you-apparently no one is going to do it for you and none of us has the pertinent info. We are just giving you our experiences. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
OK so since we forgoing politeness.

Obviously you are not understanding the answers. You've been told.

1) it varies by state since we don't know where you are it could be either of the situations
2) @cdelena said it was a probate issue, which I believe is a direct answer to your question that said.."or a probate thing". so I would think that is very helpful.

So without specific information, the answer would be, it could be both a notification issue or a probate issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement