Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The governor is really at the mercy of the state legislature s/he heads
We all know that
And if the state legislature was GOP lead then we know there was not going to be any rescue of the educational funding...
I think this movie was set in CA which has its own particular brand of conflicts regarding taxing/funding education, unions and other issues...

And WVA teachers are going out on strike as we speak because the state’s legislature controlled by the GOP is getting ready to screw education/educators all over again with policies to advance the GOP agenda vs the cause of education in WVA...

I was thinking the governor had connections and could at least arrange for a job interview for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM

55 posts, read 29,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I was thinking the governor had connections and could at least arrange for a job interview for him.

I agree with Piney. I was thinking that the Governor would have the connections/influence to make the changes.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:23 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Regarding The Leisure Seekers, Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland, is available currently through Netflix.

I think someone above said it was on hold for a couple of months but I checked on it because I want to see it. It is the next movie to get on my list.
It's only available if you have a DVD subscription. It's not available to stream on Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Anyone remark on the recent movie with Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland (two non-US actors by the way) who play a senior couple taking a final trip in their RV?
Titled “Leisure Seeker”?
Bittersweet and well acted although pretty depressing...
Yes, several people have over the past ten days.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:24 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,288,957 times
I loved Finding Your Feet, but I am not sure where you can watch it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4538916/

Old 02-21-2019, 05:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I just watched a fine little film on cable last week called I'll See You in My Dreams. It stars Blythe Danner, Sam Elliott, and some wonderful character actors/actresses like Rhea Pearlman and Mary Kay Place.

In the interest of full disclosure -- I have been a fan of Ms Danner since the '70's so I give her bonus Style Points for everything she does. And Sam Elliott is no slouch either.

Keep an eye out for this one, as it's still in rotation on cable.....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3236120/
Not to hijack the thread but I just googled Mary Kaye Place and I don't know who her plastic surgeon is, but hes's freaking amazing.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:48 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

Last Laugh
, with Richard Dreyfuss and Chevy Chase on Netflix is a winner. Richard Dreyfuss is especially good. I loved loved this move. So much.

Over on Amazon Prime, two thumbs way way up for Ice Mother. It's a Czech production so subtitled but that doesn't distract in the least.
Thanks for mentioning 'Ice Mother'! I watched it tonight on Amazon Prime on your recommendation and really enjoyed it - interesting character development and story lines - and I gained a lot of thought out of it, and was enriched by the characters, their behavior, and the settings.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:22 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I subscribe to Netflix so I guess that is the reason I was able to get it.
Sooooo disappointed. Two of my favorite actors. Not able to make it enjoyable.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:10 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Great thread!

I'll have to watch Mr. Holland's Opus.

Also, I looked up Mary Kay Place - she has been in a lot of movies and TV - I'll have to watch some of those!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:39 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Thanks for mentioning 'Ice Mother'! I watched it tonight on Amazon Prime on your recommendation and really enjoyed it - interesting character development and story lines - and I gained a lot of thought out of it, and was enriched by the characters, their behavior, and the settings.

I looked up Ice Mother on Amazon Prime---I will definitely be watching it---looks like my type of movie (which is getting to be a rarity).

Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 AM

57 posts, read 51,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrancher View Post
Also, "Five Flights Up" with Diane Keaton and Morgan Freeman.
A husband (Morgan Freeman) and wife (Diane Keaton) spend a hectic weekend pondering the sale of the apartment they've shared for more than 40 years.
If you are trying to figure out the relocation part, as I am, this will be a very good watch. It goes round and round with "Well, what do we really need?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement