Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:32 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Over a million either speak Spanish at home or are visibly Hispanic, and they were the only Americans ever required to present identity documents on arbitrary demand without probable cause.
How many of those million were ever asked to present identity documents, or actually lived in daily fear while in Maricopa County? I lived there for 20 years and somehow missed this undercurrent of fear that your very active imagination has drummed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Now tell me why an American in Russia or a former Soviet republic needs to quiver in his boots
Why? I didn't say that, you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 PM

432 posts, read 284,782 times
Botswana, USA(San Diego or Hawaii) Seychelles, Bermuda, Mauritius

Old 03-13-2019, 06:18 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Probably Singapore as my wife still has citizenship there and I by virtue of marriage could obtain permanent residency. Taxes are low and she is eligible for subsidized government retirement housing. Otherwise private housing is among the most expensive in the world.

Government housing is modern, well kept and ultra modern. As a permanent resident I would be eligible for medical care on a discount something like Medicare here. As she is of retirement age she also receives a modest regular government stipend from Singapore and also collects Social Security from working here.

The weather like all of Southeast Asian is hot and humid but just about everything is air conditioned. Private vehicles are ultra expensive. A Ford Focus for instance costs about the equivalent of 90,000 US dollars. But there is efficient, clean public transportation and Uber for short trips say for grocery shopping.

I think Malaysia beats Singapore for retirement on all counts.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:20 PM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
plus best medical care right here.
Sorry, this just made me laugh..

For us, Germany, Austria or Switzerland. We can afford any of them and my DW is still a German citizen, so we may end up there yet.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
That's an interesting point.

Singapore has a lot going for it but what does it offer to a potential retiree that KL doesn't? I've been to Singapore but haven't spent enough time to really know what is worth the higher cost, there certainly could be some great benefit that I don't understand. I think I'd be happy retiring in Singapore but could also see being just fine in KL, Penang, even Kota Kinabalu. Not sure on Kuching or Malacca, and hell no on Kota Bharu.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
1) Even if you could afford it... I can't imagine Singapore is keen on issuing permanent retirement resident visa!
2) Malaysia has a active program to recruit retirees. https://www.mm2h.com/why-retire-in-malaysia/

Singapore would certainly be easier (language, familiarness, convenience, and safety)

But Singaporeans like to flee to Malaysia for good food and cheap living .

Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I'd move to the most perfect climate available, where No Air Conditioner or Heater would be necessary in my house, 365 days of the year. That would take me to Guatemala City, Cali or Medellin.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:59 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Suppose money weren't an issue and you could comfortably retire in any country. Would you stay in the U.S or go international and if so where and why? Would SE Asia or Central America still be your #1 choice or somewhere else? Europe or Australia perhaps? Maybe a small island in the south Pacific?
Back in 2010 I took my first trip out of North America to Ireland. It was a 2 week tour and most of it was in western Ireland. We took ferry to Inishmore and stayed a couple of nights. One of the first things we did is take a bus tour through the island. As we passed by, the tour guide pointed out the island's nursing home overlooking Galway Bay. It had a large porch graced with several rocking chairs. My immediate thought was, "Stick me in a rocker, leave me here and it would be heaven on earth."

Old 03-13-2019, 10:54 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
If money were no object, I'd settle in southeast England, perhaps with a second home on the Continent... a likely place would be in/around Vienna, Austria. Depending on options for a "golden visa", I'd aspire to EU citizenship. The appeal of England is its good climate (by my criteria) and strong property laws. The appeal of Austria is that I'd like to live in a German-speaking country, but with more Eastern flavor, a variegated landscape, and a city drenched in history.

Of course, Brexit would complicate this whole thing....

Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Back in 2010 I took my first trip out of North America to Ireland. It was a 2 week tour and most of it was in western Ireland. We took ferry to Inishmore and stayed a couple of nights. One of the first things we did is take a bus tour through the island. As we passed by, the tour guide pointed out the island's nursing home overlooking Galway Bay. It had a large porch graced with several rocking chairs. My immediate thought was, "Stick me in a rocker, leave me here and it would be heaven on earth."
Funny you mention that. We were on the West coast of Ireland and saw possibly the same nursing home you saw, and I was thinking to myself how cool would it be to be living out here in this home with an amazing view of the water.

Western Ireland is beautiful. We hit up a couple of beaches as well, and eventhough the water is really cold, its so beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement