Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is nothing unique to seniors. I know people, of all ages and wildly different political views, that become obsessed with politics and news.
This is a local observation. I used to quip to my ex that he's become a "Liberal Larry"--i.e. the polar opposite of HIS uncle Larry who was a denizen of Rush Limbaugh. Years ago when i would visit my folks the radio would be set to talk radio (again, Rush Limbaugh)

They all had high blood pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I have never looked at the news media pages on Facebook.
Wait. There are news media pages on Facebook?

Old 02-22-2019, 09:56 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
The following chart shows my view. (Moderators: I own the copyright to the following image.)

Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Canada is falling victim to America's isolationist policies. Judging from Americans I see on C-D they are unaware of it. Because of what I see here I am led to believe they do not care.

So that would be a "No" on the question of "Doing your best to ignore politics/social issues in retirement"?

Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
How many of you are doing your best to ignore politics/social issues in retirement?
Lol! I tried that while I was working but, even being registered as an Independent, didn't keep the malcontents from learning of my leanings and forcing me into early retirement.

Then too, I have a child and grandchildren and, although I no longer have a television or listen to the radio, I cannot in good conscience totally ignore the social and moral degradation that is happening in America. I do avoid CD's POC forums, Facebook, Twitter and most all of the other social media sites as I consider that much of their content is adding to the aforementioned social and moral decay. The lessons found in story of the Tower of Babel were always sort of lost on me but now I think I know.

As far as staying in touch with political and social changes though, I believe in the old sayings, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer", "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see" and "Verify, verify, verify."

And if you think that buying a desolate rural home miles from the nearest humans will allow you to stick your head in the sand and ignore the world in retirement, believe me when I say I tried that. The unhappy in the world somehow always seem to find you and they will drag you kicking and screaming back to reality.

In short, as long as I am physically able, I will continue to "render unto Caesar that which is his" and will continue to vote in every election. Excuse me if I trip on your tail feathers sticking out of the sand as I limp by to the polls.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:49 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Absolutely... & the thing is that these are the voters that always decide the President in recent years.

There are already approx equal percentages of folks that are solid "Red" & solid "Blue" voters. Then there are an almost equal amount who call themselves "independents". The Independents cover a lot of ground politically & socially & seem to lean somewhat conservative but flexible.

Thing is, a very sizable amount of "independents" are a distinct group: females between 28-60yo with no party affiliation, little interest in politics & usually make their minds up between the 2 candidates on the weekend before Election Day.

These are what the pro politicos call "low-information voters" since there isn't a lot of deep thought given to their vote & they don't follow issues unless there is one particular issue that resonates personally, a sizeable amount actually decide when they are in the voting booth. These are the folks that typically make the difference in the end of the day who gets the presidency since they can swing either way.
Do you have a source to cite backing up the existence of this order all female group?... I'm not buying that men don't do the same thing.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:55 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The following chart shows my view. (Moderators: I own the copyright to the following image.)
that is me too .... for the 45 years of my working career every day i put my pants on , went to work , was responsible for everything good or bad in my life .. with few exceptions , if you never told me politically anything changed i would never know ...

i spend time learning to best play the cards i am dealt not complaining about the dealer

Old 02-23-2019, 05:14 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I pay more attention now. Mainly because it is a really weird time, and because now I have the time to research the issues. I have learned more recently about the Constitution, our government, and how our country works than at any other time.

I would like it to go back to where I can ignore it again.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-23-2019, 06:57 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is me too .... for the 45 years of my working career every day i put my pants on , went to work , was responsible for everything good or bad in my life .. with few exceptions , if you never told me politically anything changed i would never know ...

i spend time learning to best play the cards i am dealt not complaining about the dealer
Interesting analogy...if I suspected the dealer of cheating I'd tell the management and move to another table.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:13 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting analogy...if I suspected the dealer of cheating I'd tell the management and move to another table.
the mgmt is the one dealing those cards ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement