Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:15 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Still can’t understand why people migrate, or continue to live in Northern states for retirement.
Could be that they really don't like heat/humidity, or bugs all year round. Or there may be other forms of weather that they don't want to have to deal with.

Speaking just for myself, I'd rather put up with the occasional snowstorm than ever have to worry about radon or tornadoes or earthquakes or flooding or being hit with a major hurricane more than once or twice in my lifetime. And I don't want to have to turn on the air conditioning before July 4th or after Labor Day, nor have it running 24/7. Even on the hottest days we normally have, the A/C gets turned off when I get into bed at night.

Also, some may feel that the socio-cultural-political etc climate of some Southern states just isn't their cup of tea. It's very much a personal thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 PM

732 posts, read 390,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
To those who know:

How is snow for seniors in every day, practical life?
I don't live in a snow area, but am considering moving to one.
I am late sixties.
I lived in the snow when I was very young and don't remember any problems.
I am kind of a home body, and can go without leaving the house for several days.
I cannot shovel snow, but would arrange for someone to do that.
Comments?
Here's what's magic (in California at least).

Walking distance to town.
Really excellent 4wd...I'd choose a truck over a car.
Triple bonus points for bonafide snow tires.
Assume that the power will be out, at least if PG&E has anything to do with it. Prepare accordingly.
If power outages are in your future, you need electricity-free heating and hot water.
Stay away from Mammoth or Soda Springs if in CA.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What is the upside to moving to snow country as opposed to staying put, as a retiree? I'm not seeing any upside myself, sitting here in Eastern WA, with an unusually snowy February that I will be glad to put behind me. Moving into the Northeast or Midwest would be just nuts - higher costs, worse weather, why would you do that? Somewhere out West, Idaho, Colorado, I could maybe see it, but, only if you are OK with staying home a lot in winter. I enjoyed, to an extent, winter in Idaho Falls and around Denver, but a couple years in Iowa were enough for me.

My mom wintered at Snowmass for a bunch of years and then in Park City. She went skiing every day. At the Vermont ski resort where I've owned for 25+ years, I have a ton of retiree ski friends who ski every day. The ski area has a 100 day club which is almost entirely retirees where you get some SWAG like a free baseball hat and a bumper sticker when they've scanned your season pass for the 100th day. A friend of mine had perfect attendance a few years ago. The resort operates from late-October to late-May so that's about 220 ski days. It's outdoors. It's exercise. It's very social if you want it to be social.

My place at a Vermont ski resort costs me about $10K/year to own. A Senior season pass is $569.00. Lots of retirees spend more than that on golf.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:18 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Could be that they really don't like heat/humidity, or bugs all year round. Or there may be other forms of weather that they don't want to have to deal with.

Speaking just for myself, I'd rather put up with the occasional snowstorm than ever have to worry about radon or tornadoes or earthquakes or flooding or being hit with a major hurricane more than once or twice in my lifetime. And I don't want to have to turn on the air conditioning before July 4th or after Labor Day, nor have it running 24/7. Even on the hottest days we normally have, the A/C gets turned off when I get into bed at night.

Also, some may feel that the socio-cultural-political etc climate of some Southern states just isn't their cup of tea. It's very much a personal thing.

To each their own...last summer, took a trip up to MA to visit family, couldn’t wait to get home to the mountains of WNC...The H & H in MA was unbearable. Yes,I can speak for other parts of the Southland,
and Summers are brutal...but the mountains, that’s another story.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:12 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My mom wintered at Snowmass for a bunch of years and then in Park City. She went skiing every day. At the Vermont ski resort where I've owned for 25+ years, I have a ton of retiree ski friends who ski every day. The ski area has a 100 day club which is almost entirely retirees where you get some SWAG like a free baseball hat and a bumper sticker when they've scanned your season pass for the 100th day. A friend of mine had perfect attendance a few years ago. The resort operates from late-October to late-May so that's about 220 ski days. It's outdoors. It's exercise. It's very social if you want it to be social.

My place at a Vermont ski resort costs me about $10K/year to own. A Senior season pass is $569.00. Lots of retirees spend more than that on golf.

I agree, what's the point of being retired if you are not going to do fun things instead of work?!

If you are just going to sit home and watch TV, you might as well just keep working. It pays better and at least for me is more interesting.

Although to me, having snow in the mountains nearby that I can visit if I wish is a plus, this year having damn near a foot of snow in the yard and driveway was a PITA.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM

250 posts, read 181,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I have issues with walking on ice, I realize everyone does but my balance is poor because I lost feeling in my right foot from a surgery (to remove something on my spinal cord) so walking in a parking lot, on ice, is very treacherous for me (I'm in good shape and likely won't break anything if I fall, but still, no one wants to do a header on ice) and then I found these:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/arctic-grip/

The soles on these boots are called "Arctic Grip" and are amazing, the difference in walking on ice is like night and day. Total confidence when wearing my boots. I think Merrell has the patent, as I've not seen anyone else selling this type of sole, but if you want better traction, these are for you.
Just bought a pair.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:41 AM

57 posts, read 51,715 times
I live in the northeast. Before I retired, the unending hassle of getting to and from work with snow and slippery driving conditions was awful. I've been retired 3 years and don't find snow to be a problem now. I go to the gym in the early morning to swim and work out. If there is snow, I just replace the workout with snow shoveling.

The winter cold is a whole other thing. I do have the right technical gear, but having to suit up to leave the house is so depressing. I start dreading winter in September.

I visited central FL earlier this month. If I get everything done, I hope to be living in FL before another winter descends.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:31 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatlamp View Post
I live in the northeast. Before I retired, the unending hassle of getting to and from work with snow and slippery driving conditions was awful. I've been retired 3 years and don't find snow to be a problem now. I go to the gym in the early morning to swim and work out. If there is snow, I just replace the workout with snow shoveling.

The winter cold is a whole other thing. I do have the right technical gear, but having to suit up to leave the house is so depressing. I start dreading winter in September.

I visited central FL earlier this month. If I get everything done, I hope to be living in FL before another winter descends.
I can share your feelings, after spending 60 years in the North East I had enough, we headed to FL, after 5 years a Snowbird and 3 years year round, had to get away from the endless Summer, the H & H along with the high dew point drove me out of what was my forever home.
If FL is for you, great...Please do your Due Diligence. I personally know people that sold up North and bought in FL, after a few years, they were miserable, if they sold, they wouldn’t be able to afford to move back and buy.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:18 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatlamp View Post
Funny how differently we view the cold. I love dressing for the cold. Love fleece, wool, turtleneck shirts, sweaters, fun and interesting hats, a choice of coats, those winter fabric colors, all of it. Bundling up isn't a pain, its a pleasure. Dressing for heat just the opposite. Can't dress down enough to stay cool enough and not cause rubbernecker traffic accidents.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:10 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I like the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement