Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 AM

14,872 posts, read 12,016,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Maybe because they're living longer?

We sold our 4000 sf house to our daughter and SIL and bought a new house that is 2700 sf. We do plan to Snowbird starting next winter and have 2 houses bought to serve that purpose with one in Washington state and one in Phoenix area.

Weilllll, it's YOUR fault then, that the poor poor millennials can't find houses to buy..... The height of selfishness and chutzpah, even, for a senior to own not one, but TWO houses. Or to even live long enough to stick around in those houses you bought, making them unavailable to some millennials looking to buy a house. Or two....

Meant as entirely sarcastic, of course, but that article is the height of ridiculous, IMO, and the entitlement mentality implicit in the article just made it just plain funny, as I see it.

We sold our last house to millennials when we retired, and moved to our current location, to a new house we had built on property we had owned for a number of years. These were our retirement dreams, to own a new house free and clear on a beautiful piece of property, and our plans are to live here till we're carried out in pine boxes. I hope that's years away, and if there is a millennial or two panting on our heels to get this house and impatient because we're still going strong (more likely it'd be a new retiree looking to buy property in this great location), then I say pfffffft to both of them.

Wishing you the best, a long and happy retirement in your chosen locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 AM

6,279 posts, read 4,157,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is everyone enjoying the Molotov cocktail I tossed into the mix this morning?

The article omitted one salient point, though: They want your house and they want it cheap, too. If there's one thing I won't miss when we leave Silicon Valley for good, it's the Millennials and others who think reaping a small fortune by selling a home is their birthright. It's not so much they want a home to settle down in.
Yes you stinker

Old 02-17-2019, 05:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times
So what? Now we're into "Senior Shaming?"

" Shame on you, old geezer, for wanting to stay in that home for which you worked so long and hard when you were young and deserving. Now that you're old and of no use, give that house up! "

What about all the noise older folks keep hearing about "aging in place?" Up until now, all the encouragement has been pointed toward people staying in their own homes. That's been the goal. If not there, where? From what I've been reading there are not enough alternative housing for seniors and what there is costs more than many can afford.

We are not birds to be pushed out of the nest so the new birds have a place to lay their eggs. Get your own nest.

Quote:
What will it take to get senior citizens out of their houses in order to make room for younger generations?
Same it's always taken you stupid, young twit, an offer of the value of the house providing the owner wants to sell the house. It's that simple.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times
Quote:
Is everyone enjoying the Molotov cocktail I tossed into the mix this morning?

The article omitted one salient point, though: They want your house and they want it cheap, too. If there's one thing I won't miss when we leave Silicon Valley for good, it's the Millennials and others who think reaping a small fortune by selling a home is their birthright. It's not so much they want a home to settle down in.

That they do. I read it for the absurdly far-fetched headlines. It makes me laugh.

You would deprive Starbucks of baristas?

LOL! I signed in just to tell that twit of an author off. I showed her! I never owned a home.
So she can't have mine. HA!

Old 02-17-2019, 05:22 PM

4,148 posts, read 3,880,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minervah View Post
so what? Now we're into "senior shaming?"

" shame on you, old geezer, for wanting to stay in that home for which you worked so long and hard when you were young and deserving. Now that you're old and of no use, give that house up! "

what about all the noise older folks keep hearing about "aging in place?" up until now, all the encouragement has been pointed toward people staying in their own homes. That's been the goal. If not there, where? From what i've been reading there are not enough alternative housing for seniors and what there is costs more than many can afford.

We are not birds to be pushed out of the nest so the new birds have a place to lay their eggs. Get your own nest.

same it's always taken you stupid, young twit, an offer of the value of the house providing the owner wants to sell the house. It's that simple.
lol

Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 PM

15,243 posts, read 12,862,370 times
I need to be selling torches and pitchforks today. It’d be a land office business.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,316,989 times
It's interesting how there's only a housing shortage if younger Americans can't find houses. The fact that seniors have a place to live doesn't matter because they don't "count".

Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,077,671 times
Quote:
According to an analysis from economists at Freddie Mac, 1.1 million homes...
The vacancy rate of houses is 1.6%.

There are 137 Million houses in the US.

That means 2.16 Million houses are vacant.

The total amount of housing, including homes, rental homes and apartments and rooms to let is far greater than that. The vacancy rate for rentals varies throughout the year, but it's generally 15% to 25%.

There's plenty of housing in the US and Freddie Mac's differently twisted views are more about justifying Freddie Mac's continued existence than truth and reality.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:18 PM

26,638 posts, read 26,565,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
As far as I am concerned this type of article just further demonstrates the sad decline in journalism which includes magazines. Any sort of research of serious attempts have been replaced by...
You've got that right. "According to an analysis from economists at Freddie Mac...." An "analysis" to which there is no link and which cannot be confirmed.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:36 PM

15,442 posts, read 21,270,642 times
My generation X daughter stands to get our city house for free but only when my wife and I are finished needing it.

As far as our farm, I've not met many Americans, young or old, who wants it. Too much work I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement