Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

We have some specific threads here on different aspects of aging but I wanted to expand on that so hence the “other stuff” in the title. Just say anything that comes to mind about age or anything else you feel like saying. As for me, I’m a quote junkie. I collect them and store them in my phone.

It doesn’t have to be about just aging, but I’ll begin with that topic. Here’s a favorite of mine. Here’s to Nora.

Quote:
Nora Ephron

“Every so often I read a book about age, and whoever’s writing it says it’s great to be old. It’s great to be wise and sage and mellow: it’s great to be at the point where you understand just what matters in life. I can’t stand people who say things like this.” — I Feel Bad About My Neck, 2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
There isn't enough time and space to expand on this topic. I'm not one of those persons on this forum to write for paragraphs. Non-the-less, I will say this: Aging is horrible. No wonder people die of old age. One's body becomes so despicable that it is a relief to escape it (hoping, perhaps in reincarnation, that one will have a better one). I think the physical thing is the worst; particularly if one was a professional athlete, dancer, etc.

For those who contemplate the "who is going to take care of me" in old age thing. Well, I find that just silly. For those of us who chose to not have children - we never even considered burdening a child with that sort of thing. We just need to take care of ourselves and not be afraid to 'give up the ghost' when the time is right.

Old age - one has to look back and laugh at the fun times and never regret a thing. Sure, we wish we had maybe partied more, danced more, donated more, and so forth. But what the heck, life is an adventure, and when one is born, there sure isn't any sort of instructional manual that comes with it. So what is to regret.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
The upside to getting old as a woman, is that you can finally have a conversation with a young man, without sex being in the middle of it.

The downsides are obvious.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:25 PM

17 posts, read 9,393 times
Love Nora Ephron. I need to reread her books...Her voice is missed.

Maybe the upside to "old age" is that we know our time is limited and we are forced to be more mindful of the time that's left. What do we get to do with it? Maybe for the first time ever, we recognize what is truly important.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:31 AM

130 posts, read 74,838 times
"If i knew i was going to live this long, i would have taken better care of myself"
Mickey Mantel, George Burns, Eubie Blake, May west, Et al.

My favorite quote

Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Okay, this wasn’t supposed to be all gloom and doom. “Other stuff” was something interesting or funny. Here’s some examples from my quote list.

From one of my favorite people, Gracie Allen
Quote:
I think there's so much good in the worst of us, and so many of the worst of us get the best of us, that the rest of us aren't even worth talking about.
And from Spencer Tracy advice on acting but could also be applied to life.

Quote:
Know your lines and don’t trip over the furniture.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
If I could only be 32 again and keep my money and wisdom.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
I will chime in on the "other stuff"...

I am a scientist by training so I tend to look at things a bit dispassionately, much to the annoyance of my wife. I have been thinking of what life means to me and to all of us and what our role is in the world. Basically as I get closer to the termination point I wonder more whether there is meaning to it all.

I am not going to go into specifics here but I think my views are definitely not main stream. To sum it up, I've had a ton of fun in my life, and still am, but I am not fooling myself into thinking it means much in the grand scheme of things. A bit sobering I suppose but it does not bother me that much. After all, I was a scientist and we tend to just look at the facts.

But I am curious if others ponder the question of finality?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM

705 posts, read 562,006 times
As we get older we find out that true happiness is not in how much you make or how many degrees you have or how big your house is or how fancy your car is. It’s finding peace and joy and a calmness in your life that will soon become the most important thing to you. Your family is what really matters to you, love is what matters to you. Things that are of quality, not quantity.

As I have got older I realise that in life all that really matters is how much we have loved.

We all are here for a limited time in this world but we all can transform this time in unlimited happy moments and memories if we learn to cherish every single moment in life.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:12 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just say anything that comes to mind about age or anything else you feel like saying. .
Aging isn't all that bad.

So far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement