Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM

7,374 posts, read 12,655,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
If you mean the same life, a big NO.
A different life, yes.

This is a sort of Nietzschean question.

As Merle Haggard once sang, I'd be happy just
to be 30 again.

Very Nietzschean, yes. Nietzsche said, what a horrible thought--if life were to repeat itself. BUT if you can want your life happening again, and again, and again, the exact same way, and still say, "Bring it on!" then you have shown that you love life.To him, that was what life was all about, to say yes to it, and not bank on an Afterlife. And he had a miserable life himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,860,548 times
There is no way that I would want to repeat my life from age 10. I had a very less than ideal upbringing, and, of course, no power or control. My feelings, interests and desires didn't matter at home. My parents didn't really know how to parent very well, and since they had been refugees who lived through extreme trauma and lost their own parents early, I now understand why their own skills were lacking.

My best life began when I reached my late teens and was able to leave home. Fortunately, I had the ability and determination to make changes for the better. Scholarships helped, too. I was mature for my age because of difficulties that I had experienced in the past, and had a different take on life than many of my peers in the early '70s...I knew that it was up to me to make my life better, and that no one was going to pick up the pieces if I messes up. Still, I had a good time! I just never lost track of my responsibilities.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:46 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,628,556 times
In today's world? NO way. I feel sorry for kids today. As another poster mentioned---riding horses through the orange groves, back when Orange County HAD orange groves, all the way to the beach. Or galloping through the dry river beds yelling at the bums under the bridges. Walking or riding bikes to school or anywhere else. No adult supervision. Those are the best memories!

Now if I could go back and invest in Microsoft or Apple, maybe...

Old 02-27-2019, 11:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,762,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Very Nietzschean, yes. Nietzsche said, what a horrible thought--if life were to repeat itself. BUT if you can want your life happening again, and again, and again, the exact same way, and still say, "Bring it on!" then you have shown that you love life.To him, that was what life was all about, to say yes to it, and not bank on an Afterlife. And he had a miserable life himself.
OP here. Yes the proposition of rerunning one's life is a little weird. Another way to state it, is whether you feel the life you have led is worth repeating? My answer is, no. I had fun (and still am) but I am glad it is mostly behind me rather than in front of me.

I don't count on an afterlife as I don't believe in it. Our lives are all in our heads and when we exit all those memories vanish as if it never existed. I have come to the conclusion that at this stage of my life, best thing is to live for the moment and not dwell on the past or the future.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:43 AM

35,047 posts, read 31,242,294 times
Absolutely. I don't have many significant regrets, but if I could go back to age 10 knowing what I know now, I'd have had my parents invest in Amazon. There's a ton of small things I would do differently.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:25 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,438,088 times
emphatically....

maybe!

If I could hug my mom one more time, make better decisions....
Every regret that I have, could be undone. That would be the only reason to go back ....
Otherwise I'm okay with having the past be that...the past.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:09 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,641,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
This is something that has intrigued me a bit, which is if you could magically be say, 10 years old, today with a whole life in front of you, would you do it?

I have had a lot of fun in my life but no, I wouldn't want to repeat it. Even knowing what I know so I wouldn't make the same mistakes I wouldn't. Living isn't easy but when you're young it's all an adventure so you go through it with a lot of enthusiasm. I am a bit burned out at this point. Not ready to die or anything, just glad that all that stuff is behind me. Besides, I think the future is not going to be so easy as it was for us.
I would not have gotten married to my current husband. I would have stayed in Texas and been more ambitious with my career.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:20 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,713,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hmm heaven. Do you have wings and sit on a cloud? I still dont get this concept of heaven...a human thought pattern to a concept no human could ever grasp hold of ..if there is anything to grasp hold of at all.
That said believe..if it gives you hope, there is nothing wrong with it if it gets you through your day..
I agree.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 PM

658 posts, read 2,005,725 times
No! At age 10 I wasn't very mature so would probably make the same dumb decisions again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement