Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:24 PM

6,288 posts, read 4,180,040 times

Advertisements

Yes this scam has been making the rounds for years . I have very evil things to say about these scammers but I don’t want to dirty my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,126,616 times
Not new I got similar call at least ten years ago. Still important reminder. My grandchildren are all under 12 so would be interesting if they were arrested for drugs.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,999,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
At this point if someone falls for this stuff... then they are not listening or are pretty stupid.
Not necessarily. My friend who is a well respected patent atty almost fell for this! Another thing they do many times is call in the middle of the night when you are not thinking clearly!

Old 02-25-2019, 03:58 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,136,949 times
Another way you combat this. DONT ANSWER THE PHONE. If you dont recognize the number. Thats why you have an answering machine.

The elderly are especially vulnerable because they are most apt to answer the phone. I see it in my own family. They cant let a call go by without picking it up. Then they have to sweat through a difficult sales call or worse. Just let it ring if you dont know the number. We ALL have caller ID..

Old 02-25-2019, 04:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,874,384 times
Got one from my "grandson" a couple of years ago. Told him I had no grandsons ("Oh, I mean your nephew", the dumbo quickly said) and his real grandparents would be heartily ashamed of him and embarrassed if they knew he was a scammer. He laughed and hung up. And I emailed all my friends who are my age or older...

Old 02-25-2019, 04:21 PM

6,761 posts, read 5,471,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Thank you for your informative reply.

I will certainly file it appropriately.
No, OP, high plains has a point.

Its been all over local news, national news, in newspapers and is at least a 10 year old news item

Its an OLD SCAM.

Anyone who hasnt heard is either doesn't read or watch news, or is living under a rock.

It may be news to you but all major scams are talked about on news.

At least the elderly sister had law enforcement relatives to look into this.

I had a call from my bank on caller ID that wanted to verify my credit card number so tgey " could reduce my interest rate ". I first, i dont have a cc with that bank, second notified the shift leader at the bank it was happening. She said she'd" notify someone", and later i heard on the news the scam and that the bank stated it would never call you.

I had a call at least 10 or 12 years ago pretending to be my grandson in trouble. I played along until i got the instructions to buy a prepaid card at Walmart or the pharmacy and was directed to call a number to report tge scratch off id or something on the card for $500. Thats when i dropped the bomb on them....that i DON'T have kids, and therefore no grandchildren!!!! I took all the info around the corner to the local police. They thanked me and told me what i already knew
...that it was a scam. I doubt they did anything but i told them.

ANYTIME ANYONE WANTS MONEY OVER THE PHONE IN ANY MANNER ITS A SCAM!!! ANYONE YOU OWE WILL FIRST NOTIFY YOU BY MAIL, NOT A PHONE CALL.

ALSO ANYONE ON SOCIAL MEDIA WHO WANTS MONEY IS A SCAMMER, EVEN IF THEY PRETEND TO BE A "DATE", LONG LOST RELATIVES OR OTHER. NEVER SEND/GIVE/BUY ANYTHING OVER SOCIAL MEDIA.

there. Now you've been updated on all scams via a phone call for any reason.

PAY ATTENTION people!

Old 02-25-2019, 04:26 PM

6,761 posts, read 5,471,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Another way you combat this. DONT ANSWER THE PHONE. If you dont recognize the number. Thats why you have an answering machine.

The elderly are especially vulnerable because they are most apt to answer the phone. I see it in my own family. They cant let a call go by without picking it up. Then they have to sweat through a difficult sales call or worse. Just let it ring if you dont know the number. We ALL have caller ID..
No not all, my FIL and my father dont have caller ID.

Neitger will pay for it and neither has an inclusive package.

So not all have caller ID.

But neither do business over the phone, so they are safe. Also we are childless, so neither has grandsons.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:34 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,136,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
No not all, my FIL and my father dont have caller ID.

Neitger will pay for it and neither has an inclusive package.

So not all have caller ID.

But neither do business over the phone, so they are safe. Also we are childless, so neither has grandsons.

doesnt change the fact you are asking for it if you pick up the phone to an unidentified caller. I didnt think there was anyone left who didnt have caller id.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,260,084 times
Quote:
doesn't change the fact you are asking for it if you pick up the phone to an unidentified caller. I didn't think there was anyone left who didn't have caller id.
Mine is sporadic. I have MagicJack so I don't know if that makes a difference. My dentist's name shows up on Caller ID if his office calls; same with my advisor at my brokerage. The local CVS is not identified. No rhyme or reason. I can let them leave messages but if it's someone I WANT to reach then it's telephone tag.

My tactic when I've gotten apparent scam messages on FB or e-mails from friends whose e-mails or profiles have obviously been hijacked is to ask the a question only the real person can answer. Some disappear; some try to bluff their way through with amusing results.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 4,180,040 times
Quote:

That’s not always a good option for me as I get calls from unfamiliar numbers who are oncologist follow up appts with labs etc. what I do have is a screening app that screens out scam and phishing calls, and those that slip through I hang up instantly. No biggie. Emergencies within the family know how to alert us without calling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement