Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Have Aging Odor (Noneal)?
Yes 4 9.76%
No 23 56.10%
I hope not 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times

Advertisements

Today, I got a ride in a cab, that was really clean, by an Indian driver. I could smell curry on him, even though he and his cab was really clean. I personally love the smell of curry and I was hungry, so it just made me hungry. quote

Yes, I think I read down in the real estate section here about houses or apartments that have that curry smell on the walls really strong. Yuck!

We did have an older lady who used to come in our church. But in the winter she'd drag out her old winter coat and my goodness what an odor. It was just musty old unused smell. Even Moth Balls would have smelled better.

Oh I hope I never get the old people smell described here. How awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 06:48 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Oh I hope I never get the old people smell described here. How awful.
You aren't paying attention. Odors are caused by what you put in your body, or by lack of or poor hygiene.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
another thank you for posting this!

I have it!

I only have it when I take a certain arthritis rx. It doesn't respond to a quick shower with my favorite bodywash. It requires a scrub. If I have a bad flare and require more than a couple of doses, I can't stand myself. I definitely know I have it. The drug info describes this side effect as smelling like onions but not unless it is an onion that has been lost behind the fridge for awhile.

My doctor asks me why I don't take it 3 times a day as prescribed. I tell her because it makes me stink. The real reason is that I think the less the better so I only take it when I need it.
You can go online and get persimmon soap. This one is $16, but it's a huge bar of soap. You could take it out of the shower and put it on a towel in between showers to make it last a little longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Persi...ay&sr=8-6&th=1

Old 03-01-2019, 08:31 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You can go online and get persimmon soap. This one is $16, but it's a huge bar of soap. You could take it out of the shower and put it on a towel in between showers to make it last a little longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Persi...ay&sr=8-6&th=1

Thank you, Clara. I have a charcoal soap that works but I will check this one out. I live alone and I have a washer and dryer so its not a big problem, but I figure when you can smell yourself, you must really stink

Its not such a bad thing. I might take the stuff all the time if not for this side effect. Two or three doses usually calm things down and I am ready to put it away for awhile.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:58 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Even before I developed IBS at age 61 and all members of the allium family (garlic, onion, shallots, chives) became pure poison to me, I had a "smell" issue with onion. If I ate even the slightest amount of it, the onion smell would exude through my skin for at least the next 24 hours. It was so bothersome to me that I just told people and restaurants that I was 'allergic' to onion because I wanted to avoid the resulting skin odor, LOL.

Oddly, I didn't get the same reaction from garlic at the time. Just onion. Perhaps onion has a higher level of sulphur (the chemical that causes the odor) than garlic does.

Asparagus is another sulfur-smell food. In this case it doesn't start out that way in the plant but when we eat it, our digestion breaks asparagus down chemically and one of the byproducts is sulfur. It gets processed through the kidneys and that's why it's not the skin that delivers the odor in this case. The weird thing is that not everyone can smell the result! According to one study, about 60% of the participants had a gene variant that prevents them from smelling that odor:

https://www.livescience.com/57199-wh...ragus-pee.html

I guess this is the odor version of the question "If a tree falls in the forest but nobody hears it, does it make a noise" .... "If something or someone stinks but nobody can smell it, does it actually stink?" LOL

Old 03-01-2019, 11:47 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
People that consume a lot of garlic seriously do stink. It’s a repulsive odor to me.
An old BF of mine drove me nuts... I told him I couldn’t stand the smell and unless he quit eating so much garlic...I’d have to split.

Inhabitants of certain Mediterranean areas long have been big on garlic. This of course depending upon various factors related to individual persons can (or does) create a certain whiff about themselves. Hence all those derogatory remarks about "smelly" Greeks, Italians, etc..... Am not hating or baiting, just stating.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:05 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Many things have a certain odor attributed to them; ask nurses, doctors and or anyone else involved in healthcare about that distinctive hospital odor. That in turn is often different than "nursing/care home" odor.

As it relates to this thread and or humans in general we all move though various "scents" as we age.

Newborns, babies, toddlers have a distinct scent. As do teenagers (especially many boys), and so forth.

Of course nature in her infinite wisdom has reasons for these olfactory changes.

Scent of newborns/small children encourages bonding of mothers, fathers and other adults. The whiff during teenage years signals onset of puberty and sexual ripening.

Various disease processes have a unique scent (again just ask any nurse or doctor), that while not all humans can pick-up, many animals can which is why dogs for instance are increasingly being used to detect certain diseases like cancer.

Death has a scent, and this includes those slowly dying of mortal illness.

Basically what it all comes down to is we humans are animals; the various scents given off may or may not serve a purpose known to us now; but never the less no one told nature to turn them off.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/3...cientists-say/

Old 03-01-2019, 12:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
A lot of people on this thread are not understanding what noneal odor is - it has nothing to do with what you eat or hygiene (other than bad hygiene and odors from food intake would produce other yukky smells) . . .

Noneal is the breakdown of sebaceous materials which are not water soluble - hence, why it is kind of a big deal if you want to smell good and not be labeled "old people smelling."

The ONLY solution is persimmon/green tea soap.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:08 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
I look at it this way: As someone with severe fragrance sensitivities for most of my adult life, I have to put up with people reeking (to my nose/brain) of fabric softener [usually lavender], body sprays [I quickly came to loathe Axe], hair care products, aftershave, colognes and perfumes. To me, all those people 'stink' to high heaven and I'll likely end up with a headache for hours afterward to boot.

So if I ever do eventually end up with any kind of "old person smell" it will simply be payback, LOL

Old 03-01-2019, 03:12 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
A lot of people on this thread are not understanding what noneal odor is - it has nothing to do with what you eat or hygiene (other than bad hygiene and odors from food intake would produce other yukky smells) . . .

Noneal is the breakdown of sebaceous materials which are not water soluble - hence, why it is kind of a big deal if you want to smell good and not be labeled "old people smelling."

The ONLY solution is persimmon/green tea soap.

Go ahead and spend your money on such nonsense, but don't expect everyone else to drink the Japanese Koolaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement