Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:33 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times

Advertisements

I'm less concerned about moving TO some potential new place, than in moving FROM my current one. I ended up in this locale for career reasons. Despite having lived here for ~2 decades, I feel no kinship to the area, have no roots here, and regard living here is a form of deployment by a forward-team in an austere area of operations. My reasons for moving would be less about chasing a dream of paradise on earth, than of escaping the current nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 07:37 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
1.) Loss of political balance in my old state.
So you moved to Idaho, one of the most extreme one-party states in the entire country??

So much for political balance, LOL!

Old 02-26-2019, 08:12 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
So you moved to Idaho, one of the most extreme one-party states in the entire country??

So much for political balance, LOL!
True! Pendulum is at the opposite extreme. And, there are problems here too, but of a different nature, and caused by the same imbalance. (I am not registered with any of the recognized or established political parties, and have not been so for about 25 years now.) This is not the forum to discuss partisan political issues, so this is the last I will say on this matter, at least in this sub-forum.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
1. Lower cost of living with affordable houses
2. 4 seasons without too many extremes
3. Need a change of scenery with rain, rivers, water and lots of greenery. Very tired of living in the desert.
4. Want to get away from CA politics (sanctuary state)
5. Want a more rural environment, slower pace of life

Old 02-26-2019, 08:26 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
1) wanted to get away from the increasing humidity of the Northeast and wanted colder, drier weather
2) had vacationed many times in SW Colorado and found this one area to be the most beautiful and it kept calling to me
3) I wanted a horse riding life near the mountains and nowhere near Northeast
4) Aside from my job, I had no real ties to the Boston area- the good times were very much in the past
5) Increasing congestion and suburbanization and too much money sloshing around eastern MA and COL always going up *a lot*
6) Real estate tax differential- my yearly tax here would be one month in eastern MA
7) Always wanted to live in a small Western town- 1978 in Santa Fe didn't count and was a dreadful experience

Old 02-26-2019, 09:22 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
We were just done with Silicon Valley. It is a great place to live when you're in the prime of your career and you're in the tech industry... but being retired there? Boring and too many negatives.

Sooo... we split time between a place with world class entertainment and fine dining... and a place with world class skiing (260 inches snow in my heated driveway so far this winter)

Old 02-26-2019, 09:30 PM

676 posts, read 721,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Not retired yet but planning on moving once I do.
1.Looking for different scenery- more trees and mountains
2. Away from flooding, hurricanes and year round heat. So weather
3. Less traffic and hustle and bustle.
4. Lower cost of living.

sound like you live in south florida

Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 PM

555 posts, read 595,469 times
We haven't made the move yet, but these are my reasons:
1. Less winter/less snow
2. Less traffic
3. Cleaner air
4. Better access to hiking trails

Old 02-26-2019, 09:42 PM

732 posts, read 390,784 times
I thought of a rather unusual one.

Lack of automotive emissions testing.

...also...

Lack of so many gun laws.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:07 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
After 24 years, we were more than ready to leave Central Florida.

1) Traded what seemed to have become 9 months of hot and humid weather for 4 distinct milder seasons. About the time we get a bit tired of one season, here comes the next one. Really enjoy that come June first, we don't have to keep an eye on the forecasts from the National Hurricane Center.
2) We like the rolling hills here a lot more than flat Florida.
3) Cost of living is a bit less.
4) People here are generally much more friendly and helpful and polite. Both kids and adults say thank you and please and refer to us as sir and ma'am. Reminds us of when we lived in South Carolina in the 70s.
5) Traffic is much more bearable
6) Really like the "Mayberry" things like the concerts in the park during the summer and the overall slower pace of life.

Been here two years and haven't regretted the move for even one second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement