Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Life without dogs isn't something I'd want to experience.
I like real dogs -- not the silly toy breads. A Tibetan Mastiff is one of my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcz6BhdZjE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 11:34 AM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It sounds like you have everything thought out.

If this thread gets people to thinking about how to plan for aging in place, it will have done its job. I doubt many of us will be able to completely revamp their living quarters, but there are things we can do to make our lives safer and more convenient.
This has been such a useful thread! Thank you for starting it.

I learned a few things, got a few ideas, and bookmarked some links. Very, very helpful since I do plan to age in place as long as possible.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:47 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Get rid of the coffee table. Lots of accidents because of coffee tables.

I personally hate coffee tables, just an obstacle for everyone. And most with 4 corners.

This may have been said already... As an older person 66, even those older with thin leg skin, try missing a corner and catching it with your shin, OUCH!!!! Away with coffee tables.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:15 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
that Tibetan Mastiff looks like a throw rug that we are supposed to get rid off. JK, I bet it would keep you warm on a cold night.

This thread reminds me of a friend who retired to FL and built his own home. Because he had been good friends with a couple of people who were wheelchair-bound or otherwise disabled, he designed the home so that if HE ever became disabled, he wouldn't have to move. Countertops at various heights, wide doorways, accessible baths, all one level.

He moved into a mobile home before he needed any of it.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:34 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Use your birthday or an old address for your combination on a key lock. Or use your debit card number. These things aren’t linked. Just be sure tell your kids in case they need access to your hone.
Sure, go ahead, do that! Make it EASY for someone to guess your passcode and get into your house.

These things ARE linked. For dog's sake, your debit card is most definitely linked to your address, as well as to your name, which gives a hacker the info they need to get your SS number and all your other personal information. INCLUDING YOUR BIRTHDATE, which is probably on your open-to-the-entire-world Fakebook page anyway!

And I've always wondered - what happens when the battery goes dead? Does it automatically UNlock? If not - how the hell are you going to get into your house when the keypad has no power?

Thanks anyway. I'll stick with keyed entries.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:54 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I strongly believe the benefit of having a pet you can interact with, hold, walk, or just keep company with far outweighs the risks. Dogs, cats, and others can give an older person that loves animals a purpose to get out of bed in the morning, go outside and get some exercise. Being responsible for the well being of another creature can make all the difference between being happy and having some purpose or being depressed and lonely.
I've given this example before but as a personal experience, my mother is almost 88 and lives with one of my brothers and family in his home. She's made it her responsibility to take care of 3 great Danes. She gets up early to take them outside. She feeds them and makes sure they have water and anything else they need. They keep her company most of the day. The dogs love her and are very gentle with her. They give her a feeling that she has a purpose other than just living there because she's old and she adores them. BTW, she's pretty healthy for her age.
Yes. After my last dog died in 2009 (shortly after my father died), I swore I'd never have another pet. When I got the itch again I just bought a couple of finches, then adopted a couple of parakeets. They're pleasant enough to have around and do help me keep engaged by their very presence (because I have to feed them and clean their cages regularly). But they are not a dog.

So I finally broke down and adopted an older beagle from the local ASPCA shelter. I was assured that should any health problems crop up they would take care of it. She had TUMORS that became obvious to the naked eye when I put her on a diet and she'd lost a few pounds. And of course, they abandoned us. She died after having been in my care for all of 5 months, and the vet bills were well over $1000. It's been a little over a year now and I just now am starting to see some signs of financial recovery. I may - MAY - finally be able to start saving money just to have a bit of a cushion, as opposed to already earmarked for an upcoming bill.

Anyway. For the short time that I had her, she had a huge impact on my ability to function and track. A positive one, I mean. I even lost a bit of weight. My mood was better. I had to feed her a healthy low fat diet, which resulted in more salads and healthy foods for me as well (which, come to think of it, probably explains my weight loss).

I cried for 2 weeks after she died. I was weepy for at least another 3 or 4 months after that. I got a copy of "Dean Spanley" and binge-watched it over and over and over again for well over a week, starting the day she died. It took me 8 years to get over the death of my last dog. I don't think I can afford to wait 8 years to get another dog this time. For one thing, there's a good chance I'll be dead by then.

Having Trudy for that short 5 months showed me just how much we can benefit from having a pet. It was certainly good for her, but it was good for me too. I think its probably just about as close as human beings will ever get to having a symbiotic relationship with something besides the e coli in your gut.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:22 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Yes. After my last dog died in 2009 (shortly after my father died), I swore I'd never have another pet. When I got the itch again I just bought a couple of finches, then adopted a couple of parakeets. They're pleasant enough to have around and do help me keep engaged by their very presence (because I have to feed them and clean their cages regularly). But they are not a dog.

So I finally broke down and adopted an older beagle from the local ASPCA shelter. I was assured that should any health problems crop up they would take care of it. She had TUMORS that became obvious to the naked eye when I put her on a diet and she'd lost a few pounds. And of course, they abandoned us. She died after having been in my care for all of 5 months, and the vet bills were well over $1000. It's been a little over a year now and I just now am starting to see some signs of financial recovery. I may - MAY - finally be able to start saving money just to have a bit of a cushion, as opposed to already earmarked for an upcoming bill.

Anyway. For the short time that I had her, she had a huge impact on my ability to function and track. A positive one, I mean. I even lost a bit of weight. My mood was better. I had to feed her a healthy low fat diet, which resulted in more salads and healthy foods for me as well (which, come to think of it, probably explains my weight loss).

I cried for 2 weeks after she died. I was weepy for at least another 3 or 4 months after that. I got a copy of "Dean Spanley" and binge-watched it over and over and over again for well over a week, starting the day she died. It took me 8 years to get over the death of my last dog. I don't think I can afford to wait 8 years to get another dog this time. For one thing, there's a good chance I'll be dead by then.

Having Trudy for that short 5 months showed me just how much we can benefit from having a pet. It was certainly good for her, but it was good for me too. I think its probably just about as close as human beings will ever get to having a symbiotic relationship with something besides the e coli in your gut.
I loved your post. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I like real dogs -- not the silly toy breads. A Tibetan Mastiff is one of my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcz6BhdZjE

No ankle biters for me either. I'm more of a Labrador Retriever type.

This is who greets me every time I come home.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:55 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Sure, go ahead, do that! Make it EASY for someone to guess your passcode and get into your house.

These things ARE linked. For dog's sake, your debit card is most definitely linked to your address, as well as to your name, which gives a hacker the info they need to get your SS number and all your other personal information. INCLUDING YOUR BIRTHDATE, which is probably on your open-to-the-entire-world Fakebook page anyway!

And I've always wondered - what happens when the battery goes dead? Does it automatically UNlock? If not - how the hell are you going to get into your house when the keypad has no power?

Thanks anyway. I'll stick with keyed entries.

I use numbers that have no meaning to anyone else but me. As for batteries, they last for years and when they need replacing you get a blinking light. It takes me a couple of minutes to change out the batteries. Worth it for the convenience I've enjoyed for a past three or four years.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 03-02-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 08:02 PM

732 posts, read 390,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'll gladly take your hand tools.
I need to figure out whether to keep the Stahlwille or the Snap-on wrenches first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement