Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:40 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Are there companies who do this? Does real estate agents do this?
Not out in the sticks where we were. No management co. was interested and the house-sitters we got off a reputable site, turned out to be disastrous. Different in the city---lots of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 09:42 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Seems like a good plan to me OP but it take a certain kind of person to make such a transition every year. I think most folks wouldn't (or couldn't) do it unless they had previously lived outside the USA.
We're pretty average and we did it without spending any time here prior. Or anywhere outside U.S.
Same with our expat friends: average folks but they do return to the U.S. or Canada at least yearly to see the kids/grandkids/parents. We don't have those so it's easier for us.

The only "transition" we make every year is a trip to Europe.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:31 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Every time I look at the idea of 2 retirement homes, it sounds like a lot of work to me. We have lots of friends here in San Diego from all cultures. We manage several major charity events that take months of preparation. We are loosely involved in several local gov't groups. Building a new trolley extension takes a lot of our time since we do boots-on-the ground research for the city.

The weather is decent here in San Diego most of the year. Why make retirement a complicated affair?

Old 03-08-2019, 03:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Every time I look at the idea of 2 retirement homes, it sounds like a lot of work to me. We have lots of friends here in San Diego from all cultures. We manage several major charity events that take months of preparation. We are loosely involved in several local gov't groups. Building a new trolley extension takes a lot of our time since we do boots-on-the ground research for the city.

The weather is decent here in San Diego most of the year. Why make retirement a complicated affair?
San Diego? Considering this is about ex-pat retirement it raises the questions of which San Diego where?

Retiring in a foreign country is "a complicated affair" in my opinion only if you do not do your homework about your destination and if you are not honest about your own limitations and needs.

But, having said that, the same is true of retirement period.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianberkeley View Post
I am retired, and live part of the time in the San Francisco Bay Area and part of the time in the Philippines.
Specifically, in the Central Visayas islands, on the island of Cebu, where we own and manage a mango farm.

My question is how many other retirees go back and forth between two countries?

comments
We had planned on possibly doing that and bought an apartment (condo) in Marbella, Spain but after a few years of owning it, decided to sell it do to hard to manage a property thousands of miles (kilometers) away, rules an regulations of both government to keep track of, it wasn't as warm as some US locations for winter use, and then we had grandkids born...we decided to opt for winter in Arizona instead.

I would still be interested in expat living for part of the year but wife is not interested.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:37 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Moved to Central America with a job- darn expats are making impossible for the average joe to live OSeas. I have s 3 yr contract and trying to find a spot I can afford with social security that is decent and safe. Incredible - homes cost more than in Miami ! Shyte!

Old 03-08-2019, 05:39 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
We thought about being expats. Wife is from Singapore but it's one of the most expensive cities in the world. Right on the equator and hot and humid compared to the mild Mediterranean climate here.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:57 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
My wife and I are "Semi-Expats" - culturally yes (Spanish colony from 1495-1898) but politically no (unincorporated territory of USA). We moved to Puerto Rico 3 years ago and love it, except for a couple of nasty ladies named Irma and Maria who wrecked havoc on our sanity and retirement savings in Sept 2017. Wonderful climate, wonderful mountain and beach scenery, and the best thing wonderful friendly people.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Short version -- Found a Filipona woman on line, came here with a carryon bag to marry her and move into her house and stay forever, and she knew how to walk through all the complications. On my SS, I've never been happier nor lived richer, Bye-bye USA.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:01 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
My wife and I are "Semi-Expats" - culturally yes (Spanish colony from 1495-1898) but politically no (unincorporated territory of USA). We moved to Puerto Rico 3 years ago and love it, except for a couple of nasty ladies named Irma and Maria who wrecked havoc on our sanity and retirement savings in Sept 2017. Wonderful climate, wonderful mountain and beach scenery, and the best thing wonderful friendly people.
You mean the paper towels that were thrown to you didn't solve all your problems??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement