Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm pretty sure our great Commander-in-Chief would not scold me. From what era are you drawing this information? He used to be a Democrat. He's gotten wiser in his old age.
Recently, I picked up a used book at a Thrift Store called Trumped, printed in 1989, it mostly covered his years in Atlantic City.

Gore Vidal has long claimed there's essentially one political party in this country. Getting wiser, means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 09:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Recently, I picked up a used book at a Thrift Store called Trumped, printed in 1989, it mostly covered his years in Atlantic City.

Gore Vidal has long claimed there's essentially one political party in this country. Getting wiser, means?
30 years ago most of us were probably different than we are now. Hopefully we all get wiser and this thread is about staying healthy.

I'm hoping I'll be ambulatory until the end. It's always the obese/grossly overweight who end up in wheelchairs. Don't do that to yourself!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
None of my grandparents lived terribly long lives. My father died at age 75 of pulmonary fibrosis. My mother lived until 95 and died of old age, I guess. My dad was not terribly overweight, but had diabetes. After his diagnosis, he never ate sugar. My mother only got fatter as she aged, but she never had diabetes. She did not exercise ever! But she remained mobile, only using a walker in her last few years of life.

My mother’s life was greatly extended by her bypass surgeries. The first one failed, but the second one extended her life by 27 years. She did take many meds. And she suffered what was probably vascular dementia.

She never has knee or hip replacements but she complained repeatedly about back pain from arthritis.

So far I have evaded diabetes, but I know I have to be careful. And even then I might not escape. I have taken both blood pressure and cholesterol meds for years. Cholesterol levels are not affected very much by losses of weight or changes in diet. And I do not tolerate statins for some reason. So, I am conscious of my diet. And I have arthritis in my knees and back.

Such is old age.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
My grandma rarely ever saw a doctor, had a heart attack in her 60's and was treated, lived until her mid-eighties, dying in the late 1980's. She was obese for at least 20-30 years before her demise, despite never eating a processed food in her life. She cooked everything from scratch, old school southern cooking with lots of bacon, fats, and gravies. Grandpa was thin as a rail (go figure) and died from a massive stroke at 77. I doubt he ever visited a doctor in his life. In fact he was born on a kitchen table at 12 lbs!

Mom died at 65 due to multiple organ failure. She suffered numerous health issues such as kidney failure, atherosclerosis, heart disease, and amputation due to a life of heavy smoking, drinking, and unmanaged diabetes. My bio dad is still alive at 79 with heart disease, and osteoporosis.

I got all the usual vaccines as an infant. I saw a doctor around age 4 and then not again for many years, until I was a teen and starting seeing a gyno. Other than my annual gyno exams, I almost never needed to go to a doctor. I was never in a hospital until I broke a leg at 40 and needed surgery. At 60, I take only thyroid medication that I've needed for almost 40 years. Despite being overweight, all my health numbers are within normal range (except BMI of course). I exercise moderately, and eat pretty healthy. Lots of fish, chicken, turkey and vegetables, whole grain carbs, very few sweets, etc. I have never taken any other medication regularly for any length of time. I had to give up HRT after a couple months, due to a blood clot. I take only the basic OTC meds like ibuprofen or benadryl as needed, rarely. I see the doc every 6 months due to the need for thyroid testing, and get all my preventative stuff, vaccines, scans, etc. I hope to live a long healthy life.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:10 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Grandparents:
Maternal Grandfather - died age 55 heart attack - he was a laborer who drank, probably never saw doctors
Maternal Grandmother - died age 72 after complications from surgery, basically bad home care during recovery
Paternal Grandfather - died age 76 heart attack - don't know much else
Paternal Grandmother - died age 71 of lung cancer - didn't smoke, but lived in cancer cluster area, and most children were smokers

Parents:
Father - died age 78 congestive heart failure - first heart attack at age 59, smoked age 12 to 47, WW2 vet, worked in foundries
Mother: died age 88 basically of "old age" - stayed sharp and walked every day including shoveling snow up until her last 6 months, then sudden cognitive and physical health issues hit hard and fast.

Me:
Heart disease is rampant in my family, hitting early throughout my paternal side. Had uncles pass in their 30s thru 50s. One brother already passed. Sister had heart attack at 59. I hit the dreaded 59 this year (which I targeted as my retirement year in just a few more months!) and recently had a health scare which turned out to be pneumonia. Since my late 20s I have known and worked toward minimizing my heart disease risks through exercise, diet, and not smoking. There is some hope from my maternal side, as my Uncle is now 95, and in reasonably good health. My other brother (9 years older) doesn't drink but smokes like a fiend still and has COPV symptoms. I managed to go through life without smoking, which seemed to at least protect me some until the pneumonia hit, which I'm sure would have been much worse if I smoked.

I have targeted retirement to be as soon as I am eligible, mainly after watching the health issues my family has had in the later years and my hope to at least reduce my stress levels and enjoy life more while I am still reasonably healthy. By my calculations I have only 100 work days left!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'm always amused when people try to make statements like this. Maybe your parents could have lived longer if they had some of the pharmaceuticals they have today. Who knows?
Dear Lord, her parents lived into their 90's! How long should they live? 100+? There was a thread on here a while ago where the majority of people said they did not want to live into their 90's.

Hubs and I recently talked about this. 90's? NO. I don't particularly care if I don't reach 80, and am prepared for dying in my 70's. I am 70 now.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:44 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I reserve my judgement. I used to think 30 was old until I reached 30. Now I’m nearly 60, I don’t think 60 is old. I also think I made dumb statement when I was younger. I regretted I say stupid things when I was 22, I must have hurt that 30 year old by accident.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Dear Lord, her parents lived into their 90's! How long should they live? 100+? There was a thread on here a while ago where the majority of people said they did not want to live into their 90's.

Hubs and I recently talked about this. 90's? NO. I don't particularly care if I don't reach 80, and am prepared for dying in my 70's. I am 70 now.
It really depends on your health. I had a dear aunt who saw Roots in the 70’s, and was inspired to trace her ancestry. She located a very old family cemetery and at 83, walked two miles up a steep mountain path to take photos of the headstones. And two miles back. She and her husband were very active retired people.

He drove till his 90’s, and drove well. He knew his limitations, and stayed within them. He was 94 when he suffered a stroke and died. Three months later my aunt died, I’m betting of a broken heart, also 94.

I have a number of ninties in my tree, and the ones I knew were active and happy, up until the end, when they weren’t, which was not long at all.

I’m doing my best to stay healthy, keep healthy to live a long long life...just in case I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement